WTF Bootcamp?

I’m installing XP on my wife’s Macbook Pro. I used bootcamp to create a 30gb fat32 partition. XP installation disk doesn’t see it, only the free space on the Mac partition? I.E. there is a 30gb fat32 partition labeled “boot camp” and a 155gb partition labeled “Macintosh HD” with 131 gigs free. When the XP disk boots it sees a 131gb partition and that’s it.

What do I do?

is the partition set “active” ?

Not sure. I’ll see if I can find that.

Bah. I have to slipstream my XP CD with SP2 before I’ll have a prayer of any of this working.

I was just going to say…is it SP2 :lol:

Right on the money you are. This fucking thing better work now. I was thoroughly impressed when mac had a utility built in so I just had to run the utility, drag an arrow to resize, then hit partition and I’m done.

Fucking Macs. Nope, the disk has errors. Nope, it wouldn’t verify. Had to go dig out the OSX disk, figure out how to boot from a CD on a Mac, figure out how to get to the utility from the boot disk, repair the disk, try boot camp again…

It just works my ass.

:feck: Now I have to repair the fucking disk again.

run fusion. way better IMO

I cant get mine working either with an SP3 disk…

i install xp pros with fusion monthly with no issues. you can download a demo i think thats fully functional. the only drawback (last i checked) is you cant use FW800 in the VM.

Put CD in…
Reboot holding C
And disk utility is in the drop down menu at the top :slight_smile:

Do you need a XP cd with SP2?

Yeah, I figured that out. A lot of this is just learning how to use a Mac, but hey I never had to reboot and repair my PC to partition it. :stuck_out_tongue:

But I’m about to call it quits. The hell with computer shit. I’ve got a broken 30 year old Ford snowblower, a driveway full of snow, and friends coming over in an hour. I’m going to go work on something I don’t have to reboot.

If I can’t get the dumbed down way to work I’ll look into that. Is it a real install or a virtual install?

install fusion.
install xp
done

you virtually install the OS… set all of the parameters… like size/ram/cpu to use… very intuitive even for you :gay:

Don’t overestimate me. :retard:

It should be very easy. If it appears like bootcamp just isnt going to work, the best bet is to…

Clone the Mac HD onto a external drive using SuperDuper.
Format the internal as one MBR partition. I would select the zero out option, its going to take a few hours.
Boot off the external, and clone it back onto the main drive.
Using the latest version of Boot Camp, create the secondary partition.
Follow all instructions.

It should work flawlessly this way. I have had problems in the past, but they were caused by not having SP2, which you need, and it was using boot camp from years ago.

:tup: to fusion… I downloaded it, put in an XP disk, went and got my haircut, came back and XP was up and running and registered…

i did it to my g/f’s with printed instructions… serious time waster for sure… couple fucking hours of tinkering around at the kitchen table.

x2

Fusion FTW!!!

i use Parallels and it works great too