WTF Sour Milk - v. Viper Resale?

Word.

V10…$4.50/gallon…not too hard to figure out why someone would have a hard time selling one.

In all reality… I dont think gas prices have anything to do with the market specifically, except for maybe the older [cheaper] cars acquired by the younger crowd, or the small percentage that daily drives it as their only car.

I cant think of one Viper owner who actually cares what the price of gas is, at least for their Viper. For the most part, they either have enough money to not care, or simply dont drive it enough for it to really matter. The 3-5K miles/year guys- thats what, 1000-1500 bucks in gas for a whole season? Big deal…

I am not going to argue about the OVERALL impact of oil prices on many markets and the affects that trickle down to the Sport Car market as a whole, though I dont think it has much to do with it directly.

And if you can’t afford that, you sure as shit can’t afford a $50-75k car / toy. Then again, most of America (and NYS) can’t separate being able to make the payment from being able to afford it so…

No offense, but your opinion doesn’t = reality.

The “reality” here is that 55k is not very much for a car, so if you’re assuming that most Viper owners are rich, then you’re probably super poor.

Uhh… considering I deal with hundreds upon hundreds of Viper owners, have never heard ONE of them bitch about gas, never heard ONE guy say he wasnt going to buy or was selling his car because of gas prices, on top of watching anything posted on the internet forums regarding gas prices and the response, after response, after response saying “I would put gas in the Viper at 10 bucks a gallon and still drive the shit out of it”.

I think I have my foot in the door just a little on this one, no?

Man you defend this car to the bitter end.

I will humor you, even though this isnt the point.

It is a $55,000+ TOY. There is a BIG difference in economics between being able to afford a $55,000 CAR, and a $55,000 TOY. Most people cant afford an “extra” 1000.00+ bucks a month plus all of the other expenses at a whim, just for a toy that has no practical application, cant tow/haul, cant be driven in the winter, etc.

And also, even though it really has nothing to do with this… Actually, 80%+ of Viper owners I know are all VERY well paid individuals or business owners, many of which would slit their wrists at the thought of making under 250K a year.

Well I guess that makes me downright destitute. :fail:

Yeah - it’s both sad AND funny to watch. :sword:

… it’s just a car, and not that glorious / exciting of one at that. I think the funny part is that YOU think it NEEDS defending that much… :banghead: Maybe it does then?

To the OP - walter, 50K is “about right” - they’re honestly rather overpriced to begin with and that’s not THAT low for a 5-model-year sports/performance/boutique/smaller-run production car (sorry, but Mike’s right, its NOT an exotic any more than a Vette is). I wouldn’t say its an exceptional deal, nor would I say it’s a horrible price. I certainly WOULD say there are plenty of other things I’d spend 50K on before I picked one but it could be a fun one-summer-then-ditch-it car shrugs but a 930? Seriously? Fuck that…

You’re talking about people who already own Vipers; I’m talking about what’s currently happening with consumers, especially within the last 2 years. If you haven’t noticed, gas prices don’t just affect how much you are putting in your tank every week. People, even the richies, are cutting back any way they can, and for most consumers, a 10MPG Viper is just not as appealing to most as it used to be. Hybrids are the most desired cars at the moment, and I guarantee you it’s not just the poor people buying them.

So if you still think this has nothing to do with their shitty resale value, then I don’t know what to tell you.

You obviously missed the last line of my post. Read much?

Here it is again.

“I am not going to argue about the OVERALL impact of oil prices on many markets and the affects that trickle down to the Sport Car market as a whole, though I dont think it has much to do with it directly [at the pump].”

Are you fucking serious?

I’m not at all rich but the only thing that gas prices have done to me re: cars is that it’s much easier to justify track days at the Glen vs traveling to NHIS / Mid Ohio / Mosport etc because of trailering (used to be that entry costs made it worth a bit more driving / distance).

So what’s happening with boaters then? I guess high gas prices have nothing to do with the lakes being relatively empty to the past few years…

At least Final GTS can afford azn whores! AND YOU CAN’T CHRIS!!

You are entitled to your opinion, but drive a Vette down the street, then drive a Viper. You would figure out that statement doesnt quite add up before you hit the first corner.

There was a little sarcasm in that statement (as I’m pretty suck-ass poor).

Uh… there is a BIG difference between a 100$ weekend, and a $2000-$5000 weekend. You think 10 MPG is bad? Dont get a boat then! LMFAO

Not to mention there is just a little bit more impracticality in a boat, not to mention the towing, storage, cleaning, gas, maintenance, and in some instances, captain.

I would say that a viper is more “exotic” than a similar model year 'vette, more so if you aren’t talking about a Z06. That isn’t necessarily based on performance. What do C5 Z06s go for these days? C6?

Okay, you’re right.

Vipers have a terrible resale value because they are garbage. They are Dodges after all…

You win.