X-11 Citation Project

My friend Matt and me started to tear apart the 2.8 HO engine after we got it off of his truck. We yanked the old motor out of the beast after some more friends arrived and started to breakdown the original engine.

A carb engine will become a MPFI after a bit of swapping:

1). the replacement engine fell apart after hitting around 7700rpm. Poor lifters, rods, and rockers have seen better days. Cam was toasted. The one head was a tad beat up.

2). Original engine spun bearing number one and had a few other minor issues. The entire intake, plentium, accessories and sensors will end up on the other motor. Oil pump was missing the Gaskets and was sucking air, but that engine was Dirty!!! Gross.

3). New timing gears, chain, harmonic balancer, and plugs will help! Some bearing had to be replaced as well. Had an extra Radiator, so yanking the old one while engine is out.

Hopefulling it will be done by tomorrow or the next day!

2.8, is it a GM 60*V6 (RWD 2.8, 3.1, 3.4)? I’ve done a few tear downs of them, if you need any help or have any questions, just ask! Good luck, and post some pics!

I did take a few pictures, but this is the FWD version of that motor.

I’ll upload them to cardomain…http://www.cardomain.com/ride/749596/5

That actually looks like the same setup that was in the Fiero’s. It’s a RWD 2.8 with transfercase, etc to make it FWD. Any questions on the build up lemme know. Just make sure you place the intake gaskets before replacing the pushrods or you’ll be kicking yourself in the nuts.

good luck

it’s refreshing to see someone building something different

He pre-oiled the engine and putting the finishing pieces on the engine, so hopefully finished tomorrow!

Goodluck. I think those cars look badass.

another 660 guy, are you on 60degreev6.com?

also why waste your time with that old motor, 3.4s are sooooo cheap now a days.

Yeah like $500 cheap if you find the right place, and they’re a piece of cake to swap.

Local place around here has them with around 35k for about $650-750

Hey Bro good to see you got some wheels that work now. I’d get an alarm for my car after an incident like that. even though this one looks like it has more rust than the Grand Prix. Who would steal such and ugly '84 Grand Prix any way? The project looks good.

I’m over there, don’t post much, but just browse. :slight_smile:

free 2.8 donor engine. Don’t have to change wiring. Now the motor runs, but needs a few final touches to make it road worthy! Damn GM engineers!

The Fiero used a slightly different engine, then the citation or even the celebrity. the camaro motor is the closest relative from my reads.

Car has been driving us crazy, but we think we have found the issue: leaky injectors. Plugs are fouling and exhaust is black. After replacing plugs, wires, cap/rotor, O2 sensor, and checking MAP sensor.

A recent “kill” up at the U Pull it lot with hopefully get us all the parts we need.

What are the differences? I wasn’t aware there were that many various versions of the 660 in that time period.

L44

The L44 was produced from 1985 to 1988. It used MFI and was a High Output engine for the Pontiac Fiero. This engine created 140 hp (100 kW ) @ 5000 rpm and 170 lb-ft (230 Nm) of torque @ 3600 rpm. It also used the same camshaft as the 3.4L V6 that was installed in later Camaros and Firebirds. The heads on this engine also had slightly larger ports as well as larger valves than all other 2.8L engines. These heads were used on the larger 3.4L V6s that came in later Camaros and Firebirds.

Hmmm, Interesting. Good to know, thanks.

Thanks for evilbayTM: just hope they will fit the bill and fix the problem. $150 for 6 new injectors, since they normal want $70-120 each!:blue:

Sucks not have wheels!

Matt found that three injectors went bad (2/4/6) in the front row were all missing the needle, so he replaced all of them and it runs great. Looks as the idle needs adjusted and need to run her out a bit more. Got me home after a 40 mile trip!

Got a few minor issues to fix and then start on the 3300 3.3L V6 upgrade project.

that 4.9 Cadi swap is crazy in your sig.