Yard drainage guys, I need some input.

So I have been working on my garage/backyard as of lately and I will be adding gutters to both sides in the next few weeks. I have measured and priced everything out, but I am stuck on what to do about the drainage.

Here is what I am dealing with.

I plan to drop the downspout on the back of the garage on this side and have the other side come over to it. From there, I need to figure where to drain it to. I have a return that heads out to the street and into the sewer drain from the house.

It looks like this:

The smaller pipe is for my sump pump and the other one is for the gutters on the back of the house. It 180’s and heads out the street.

My thought was that I can tie into this by trenching across the yard from the garage, but then I won’t get the proper slope I need because this sits so high up on the ground.

This is basically from where I would run the trench from:

I have seen a “French drain” into the yard, but I don’t think that will solve my sitting water problem either. My yard is fairly flat and my neighbors garage doesn’t have gutters either. I need to move my water away from my yard/garage.

Any thoughts on what to do here?

Build your yard up a couple inches or so away from your garage and sloping into your neighbors yard. Make it his problem.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Seriously though, are you getting a lot of sitting water between his yard and the garage?

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

I wouldn’t try tapping into the water/sump return. It’s not going to work. I’d try filling up the areas where water “sits” and even it out.

Well, the problem isn’t so much the water coming off his garage as it is both. I am going to put gutters up regardless, but it still doesn’t solve my problem of where to put the water. I need to stop the water from coming off my garage roof and splashing the bottom of my garage because it is starting to rot the bottom and there is mold growing on the outside.

Dig a test hole by the street and see how deep the connection is between the existing pipe and the public pipe. Use that depth to determine if you can get enough slope out to the garage. You may have to re-run that entire pipe to extend it to the street and get the proper slope.

There is a vent pipe out at the street, will that tell me how deep it is? I can pop the cap off

the vent pipe at the street is your bubbler. that will tell you how deep your connection is. you need 4% slope in the pipe for water to flow effectively. 4% is what is used as a minimum when we design public stormwater drainage.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

You’re going to have a tough time figuring out REAL elevation of your pipe and your backyard without some basic survey equipment (level and rod)

Move the fire pit up and forget it.

he should, it’s less than 10’ from the garage, which is a code violation lol.

I’d be more concerned with getting some grass seed planted on that shallow grave you dug.

Tell you neighbor to move his boat. That shit would drive me INSANE. Unless of course, the flooding is that bad.

get and or make a water level…you just need some clear hose a bucket of water a clamp and a friend…just as accurate as any survey equipment and it even works around corners

maybe he’s harboring criminals?

Man, you would think there was a bouncing red ball in my pictures…the fire pit gets moved up when we use it into the yard. I think it has been used once…Jay, that grave is my garden. I have been too busy to turn it this year and get it started.

I can’t complain about his boat because between my boat, my cargo van, my utility trailer, my snowmobile trailer, etc…I always have something in my driveway.

do you have a regular level, a laser pointer, and a tape measure? you could mcguiver a setup using these basic household items to survey pitch pretty easily.

I have a 2’ level and a 4’ level. I have a tape measure, but no laser pointer. I think I sold that back in high school…

https://youtu.be/nAcT_1T25LM

I have a laser level and tripod you can use as a makeshift transit. I used it to level my yard and install drainage pipe.

I wont lie, I wouldn’t even know how to use it if you let me borrow it. How hard is it to use?

Also, can you get 10/2 250 ft outdoor underground wire any less expensive than i can get it at HD or Lowes? I think the cheapest i found was on Ebay for something like $230

bobby, use sloride’s advice of a water level. its quick and easy. the difference in water level at each end will tell you the elevation difference from your connection at the street. my guess is you will have plenty of depth to make that extra reach but may have to repipe from the tee coming off the street. you’ll need minimum 1/8" slope, that is, for every foot, itll drop an 1/8 of an inch. so in 8 feet, it drops 1 inch in elevation. 3" diameter will handle it (~1400sqft for your area) however since youre underground youll probably have to bump it up to 4" incase the inspector shows up…

if your yard drains fairly well, i would just run a gutter to the back and dump it at the back edge of the yard…

Concrete… Sell mower… Win/win.