Roots in my drain

Got roots growing in my drain from house to sewer… Anyone in this line of work to fix the issue? I have an idea what I would need to do to fix it. But I am not sure I have the required amount of time to fix it. Would love to give the biz to someone on the board.

any feedback is welcome!

well this looks interesting… for 40 bucks it might not be bad to give it a shot

http://www.pipedoctorusa.com/catalog/rootx_-_2_pound_container_3240382.htm

We had roots in our sewer drain in our basement. If it is tera cota piping, it will be a bitch to fix. They make a root killer that you put in your drain. I can ask my dad for you if you would like me to.

We had the same problem in the upcoming spring after the 1996 huge flood.
The plumber dude used Rootx and it subdued the roots.

yeah its tera cota piping… let me know what your dad used. The ultimate solution would be to just replace the pipe. But it just is a little pricey at this time.

i just looked at that… any signs of blockages? are you going to keep doing it every year?

We had to do it for another year, Simply due to enormous amount of nutrients the river provided to the yard. Our grass looked like a jungle.

Have not had any problems since 98-99?

i replaced mine with pvc at my dad’s house
dug it all by hand. that was fun:ugh2:
it didn’t cost much to do though

I would have to do a shit load of digging! what I was thinking was digging a trench along side the steps… then digging under the steps so that I would have to not tear up all of the concrete by the steps. I guess it could be done in an extended weeked. just a shit load of digging.

Call up a Labor ready place. Manpower, Labor ready.
Have 2 guys work for $6-7hr each. Don’t know how much you have to pay the labor place.

think it was 125 feet that i dug up for the one drain, then about 30 for the other one. luckily the drains were pretty shallow only about 2 feet deep most places

depth is whats going to kill me… the length is not that bad.

that’s what she said??? j/k

if you can do as much of it your self, you will be much better off. it’s like a 10k job to have a plumber contracted to do it. At least that’s what I hear, and one of the things I was really worried about when I bought my house. Unfortunately, with old cast iron traps, the plumber we had scope the drains, couldn’t get out past the house trap.

10k… f that, I will dig the hole with a spoon before i pay someone 10k to do it!

I will probably go ahead and at least dig it out myself, it will suck but what do you do? another problem I am having is finding the vent outside for the drain. stupid old houses!

you can definitely save by digging it up yourself, I just don’t know how you go about tying it into the public system.

how did you find out about the roots? did someone do a scope cam on the system or is poo backing up into the house / yard? Just wondering what I should be looking for should it come up.

call mark gillece plumbing :dunno:

i know they have a tool that goes into the drain and rips out all the roots, then pour some stuff in to stop it from growing

poo was backing up to my basement… i though oh no! poo in my basement call the plumber we got blockage! then he came out with the snake and cut out the roots. and i was like oh no roots in the drain, kinda like snakes on a plane!

just talked to bgblockelcamino about it, I just have one tree in the front yard so I can probably guestimate where it would be. So just dig up that section and replace it with PVC and don’t touch the rest!

rent a bob cat with a claw and i can dig it out…if its terra cotta its a bitch…

replaceing it is the way to go but no matter how you look at it, its costly…

first you have a one year home warrentee not sure what all this covers if its just major appliences. i would press this and if you can i know a good plumber that i use to work for…

second i would be calling up my home insprector… :stick:

home warranty does not include roots in drains… it says it in the book.

not sure how the home inspector would have know that there was a root in the drain. If anything i should go back to the seller as they told us it was a new drain all the way to the sewer. but they just replaced the drain in the house

BINGO whats it say in the sellars agreement??? that its been replaced all the way back sewer?? or was that word of mouth

if its in the sellars statement money

home owner i request its a flow test where you die the water and wheer it flows to the sewer…

just the same a spetic test like the one houese died the water next thing i know the creek is green (you let that go and bunch of three hugging hippies come along and bam hello you are replacing a new septic) but same goes you dump a bunch down and not a bunch comes down and out the drain you have some cracks and holes in your pipes…

best thing i would do is get camera wire down there and follow the pipe and you can pin point all the exact locations of the breaks…

if all the breaks are outside the house your golden pony boy…but if you have cracks inside the house…get out the jack hammer…If you know for sure they replaced the drains in the house then they would be pvc easy to tell will be cuts and new cement added

you will be susprised how far roots can grow