Your plans for your car...(in terms of modding for power)

Just thought what everyone has in mind for their car…

Since I’m still at a young age, and power is obviously a big responsibility. I think I’ll go something simple with Plenum spacer, intake (already have), exhaust, lightweight pulleys, lightweight flywheel…

Then… hopefully next yr or so, I’ll going Vortech SC and putting down at least 450whp… after getting bored with that and having plenty of cash. I’ll go the twin turbo route with built and forged internals aiming for 600-700hp (if I keep my car that long enough.)

Hahaha… What you guys got in mind?

yea that sounds awesome!..putting down some big numbers!..maybe consider after all your internal work is done to possibly buy lighter materials to reduce the weight carbon parts maybe:R

About the only thing for sure I know I’m doing is suspension work. I got all of the “modding for modding’s sake” bug out of me with my last car, a 2003 Civic SiR.

This time, my philosophy is about making the most of the car’s current abilities first, then worry about trying to make it even faster. I mean, what’s the point of increasing the engine’s performance is the rest of the car can’t use it all? Hence, suspension.

Tires - looking to get some hi-po 255/40-18 and 275/40-18 tires front and rear, respectively.

Wheels - Still undecided, but they need to be 18 inch (duh), lightweight (<20 lbs), and not cost a grip. Nismo LMGT4s are the front runner, but some Enkeis and Volks are still being considered.

Suspension - Height and damping adjustable coilovers. Don’t care about JDM bling, but I want a reputable, versatile set-up that lets me balance between canyon carving and “I-have-a-date-and-need-to-keep-the-ride-smooth.” Plus, this mod will kill the tire feathering issue, too. Bilstein PSS9s look to be what I’m after, and some sways by either Progress or Hotchkiss should do the trick, too.

Power - Dyno numbers don’t impress me. Acceleration does. So does cost-effectiveness. To that end, I’m looking towards a JWT flywheel to reduce rotational mass, and maybe a 3.9 final drive, depending on how much higher it puts RPMs when I’m cruising.

Aesthetics - I really love the look of the car stock, and I hate 99% of the bodykits for this car. Having said that, though… I do like the V1 Veilside Lip and side, uh, “thingies.” The Nismo V2 front bumper is also nice, but it costs a HELLUVA lot of money. We’ll see.

That’s IT! That’s all I have planned, really. I have ideas for future mods after that (see below), but they don’t make sense to me in terms of cost-efficiency yet, so I’m undecided.

See, a popcharger, plenum spacer, and aftermarket cats (most restrictive part of the system on this car!) would be nice, too. But then, you want to get an exhaust (lighter weight and no-drone are absolute musts for me, though) and headers. A UTEC is then required to extract every last piece of these mods, and that isn’t cheap, nor is the tuning. None of these mods are all that effective on their own, but working together they can make quite a difference… for a price! So, I don’t know if I’m willing to go this route. Then there’s the option of an ATI procharger and tweaking it for 350-400whp (not hard), but I don’t know if I want to alter the NA characteristics of the car.

Seriously, I think I’m going to take my time and just go with my planned mods, and by the time I’m ready to even consider the next round, I’ll just save up and buy an FI car to play with… either an R33 or a Z32 :smiley:

pfft, who needs suspension when you got POWER!!! fishtails to a pole

Oops…

but all in all, this is about power mods. Suspension of course in common sense will be added as power goes up to keep the car stable. Sways, bushings, maybe roll bar/cage, coilovers, etc. As for shoes, there’s a guy in the states running 305 width in front and 355 in the rear :eek:. My goal is to be able to burn that 355 in 3rd :smiley:

Yup! ALL DRY CARBON!!! chances are… I wont have the car long enough to do that… Haha. I wanna buy the new GTR, Who can resist 450-500hp 3.8L V6 Twin Turbo :D. Not only thing… I’m gonna mod that as well LOL. Probably aim for 1000hp on that thing, hahaha :R

With all due respect, why are you going to get a roll cage? Are you going to wear a helmet every time you drive? :confused:

Again, to each his/her own, but I fail to see why some people do certain mods. Roll cages belong on pure race cars only. Otherwise you’re just throwing away money (imo), and risking severe injury (NOT my opinion).

And that guy running those uber wide tires is an idiot. To run tires that wide, you need a wide body kit. To even NEED tires that wide, you need something like 500rwhp and plan on drag racing it. Then again, maybe his car’s a dyno queen, I dunno.

That’s why I also mentioned roll bar, If i go high powered route, chances are that it wont even be street legal. Besides, dependent on the design of roll cage, they wont even touch you. I know some people with roll cages in their DD and they have no problems with it at all.

I fail to see why people do certain mods as well… Just not the same way as you.

Not until they get into an accident, anyway (god forbid!).

Clearly we have a difference of viewpoint here, and that’s fine. My saying “it’s a waste of money” is MY opinion, and no one has to agree with me. But when safety becomes an issue, I just shake my head…

lol… fair enough. :R

i might be the only one hear with this kind of thinking but i actually like when my car is not the best looking thing around. People tend to look down on me when its like that but… then their jaw will drop when all they can see is my rear bumper pulling away from them:{ Biatch!

So to the point… im looking for 350 whp (i need 100 more now)

hahaha i didnt even see this was in the 350 category.

my bad…i was bored, no class tuesdays

Just out of curiousity because i’m a bit confused now… Do you guys even have 350Z’s? :stuck_out_tongue:

you know my plans! my plans are pure rice baby! All show and no go! :slight_smile:

^^ ****ing ricerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I’ll smoke you every time I see you. Bwahahhaha

Has anyone here tested any suspension modifications for 350s?

It would be a shame to see guys over stiffening the springs/shocks to get the car to corner well and totally destroying road feel.

I would imagine that a GOOD coilover system (yet soft, with progressive springs and very soft high speed bump) with stiff sway bars would make for an awesome handling very tolerable street car, that would lay down a kick ass beating at the track as well.

The chassis of Z’s are already very good, so I don’t imagine much stiffening is required and since they are all so new the bushings should still be fine!

Maybe i’ll look into this a bit and try and figure out the best package for street/track cars.

I notice on the bilsteins the rears are progressive but the fronts are not. I wonder how special order progressive springs would change the ride quality.

Damn… how did this thread turn from power into suspension. haha.

Sasha, it might be more beneficial to have the front as linear to have more predictable steering as it’s even all the time. Although, I doubt the front bilstein’s are that stiff anyway.