Youth Kart Racing...

Any one here have any experience with this? I’m looking into it for my son, albeit I have time as he is only 4, I thought it best for me to start looking into it now.

So far I’ve only found Batavia Kart Club but as far as kart manufacturers and rules I’m still absolutely n00b.

Any dads or former racers on here with any knowledge to share? Anything and everything would be helpful.

Thanks

I raced carts for years, albeit it was oval racing. The track I called “home” was Bliss Speedway in Bliss NY, great owners very family friendly and was an awesome time. If you can get over the “Der the only turn left” mentality that most people have on this forum I would check them out. The owner is very helpful, probably even has a kart on hand for your kid to try out, His name is Joey Barber I would give him a call if you wanted some solid info. There are some other tracks in the area, Batavia being the only close road course (and closed I think), there is an oval outside of Elicottville Ny named Chapel Hill Speedway, and then there are some dirt ovals as well, I know Ransomville runs karts but I never ran on dirt.

Edit: I would also avoid MXK karts, I have had a few bad experiences with them and their karts can’t hold a candle to the other chassis manufacturers.

A buddy of mine has run dirt his entire life but that tunnel vision of styles gets so annoying lol. I honestly don’t car what type of racing as long as I get my son into something. I never enforced any style into him but at 4 he already has his room layered in f1 pictures by his own choosing lol

Yeah, I’m sure though that the thought of any racing will have him excited, and once he experiences it he will be hooked. I’d suggest taking him to watch a race (I think Bliss runs Sunday afternoons) and judge his reaction, ask some questions and feel the place out. Unfortunately if he is dead set on road courses you options in wny are to basically travel.:tif:

he is 4…he isn’t dead set on anything but the racing suit and kart lol… I guess it is more of input on the road coarse variety but I just want to get him started in something. I’ll check out that place you said and just keep his interest.

Any input on specific kart manufacturers and engine manufacturers?

I haven’t owned/raced a kart in years, since what is good and what isn’t changes so often it’s hard to tell but when I left Phantom Chassis was the top dog on the ovals. For his first kart anything used that fits him will work he is going to be put in the novice class and really it’s all about building skills as opposed to having the top of the line gear. If I was getting back into it I would choose my equipment based on what is winning at the track I want to race at as well as what is winning at nationals, but for your first kart it won’t matter at all.

Right…I figured he would be fine with whatever I get him but as all hobbies go we obsess over them and learn as much as possible lol. If I’m going to spend 10k a year on a hobby for my kid I want to be well educated in the field I guess so I’m trying to get a head start by asking around. Thanks for all your input btw!

No problem, racing was one of the best times of my life and karts were so much fun. I’m sure if you and your son get into it you will have a blast.

I hope so…I’m going to need something other than pride to keep me stuffing cash into it lol

i dont know too much for asphalt, but for dirt theres ransomville, merritville over the border, and geneva. my friends little brother raced and was pretty good at it. theres also charlotville for some outlaw kart racing in newfane, my friend used to run there. slack perforamce is in middleport right in the village on rt 31, not sure of other shops.

if you opt for dirt i know where theres a chassis, tons of wheels/tires, bumpers, body, gearing, etc that can be had for pretty cheap. basically everything you need with extras except the motor. has a seat but will be too big for your kid.

Haha, I hear you, I spent a lot of my summer mowing lawns to help with the cost of racing but like I said it was some of the best times of my life and I would say my Father would agree.