Z400 Tail light mod

Ive been wanting to do something with the taillight assy on my Z for awhile, as the stockers like to break when I 12 o’clock wheelie it :lol. So after 4 stock tails Ive come up with;

A. Completely deleting the taillight assembly and wiring, or,

B. Doing a custom LED setup for it.

For you guys that have done this before, what would you suggest, and how easy would it be? Im not a wiring guy whatsoever, so Im not sure if I could just buy any LED light and wire my factory shit into it.

Also if I went with the delete route, should I just trace the factory wiring all the way back(to what I’d assume would be the battery), and remove everything, or what? Im sure Im overthinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to be :lmao

Thanks in advance for any help:thumbup

hmmmm, how bout you stop 12 o’clocking it like a tard…:retardclap

If you plan to delete it, just leave the wiring there and cap the wires off in some clean mannor because someday you or someone who may buy the quad might want it back and would want to fucking kill someone for destroying the wiring. Won’t hurt anything leaving them there.

As for an upgrade, you’ll have to come up with something that will replace it nicely but also doesn’t get in the way of your hella stuntz. Wiring will be very simple.

Its too much fun!! :lol

:rofl

Yeah I may just cap it and hide the wiring on it instead of tracing it all back… Dont wanna be like the dude that sniped Bradley’s shit right at the connector like a stool pigeon!

kinda like something on your new bike :rofl

Ruh oh! What happened?

Exactally!

?

I think chris musta made that one up :wierd

He must be jacked up on the Mt Dew again :lol

da exhaust valve thingyyyy

Lol!

Oohhhh. Yeah, thats not wiring though. Just cut the cables. That thing will be gone soon.

Dont get rid of it. I hate following a quad with no taillight on a trail and Im sure others do too.

You could try and mount a LED assembly from a truck supply store. Napa has a lot. Im pretty sure they have the resistors built in too so a 12volt supply is perfect… now the problem is that you’re not on a 12 volt system but a 6 volt system. So you will need to cut and solder the light assembly or buy an LED from a retailer that makes them for bike ect. I wouldnt worry about PJB he cant keep up with ya anyway.

Removing the wiring from the harness itself is a pain in the ass and not neccesary. Theres no point in undoing most of the harness just to remove 2 wires. And as far as using a different light youll have to make sure it uses the same wattage as the one you had originally. The strator on your quad might not be able to power one that takes more juice. I would suggest looking into z400 forums and see if you can figure out any lights people have used in the past.

remove the tail light…

If your quad lights run off of 6 volt, you might have an issue just wiring up a LED light assembly. You’ll have to find a LED setup that has a built in regulator, a lot of them do but nobody seems to list what voltage range they can run on. A quick google search points to a number of hotrod/antique style lights.

I would think the ignition system is 12 volt not 6. I know my girlfreinds blaster is 12. Not positive but I would do some research before buying anything. Personaly I would take the light off and cap the wires. Dont ride with people who cant ride and would rear end someone just because they dont have a brake light. You should be able to tell if someones slowing down and always be ready to go around or stop if your riding behind someone.

i think u should learn how to wheelie and stay off the bar :wink:

Dont really care about that honestly :lol

Yeah the Z forums werent too helpful really, Ill hafta look into it more.

Kinda what Im thinkin at this point

lol, Well I like bringin it back real far, and the light is like flush with the bar, so I either bust it off, or put my boot through it from time to time :lol

Get a whip antenna with a beacon light on the end of it :lol

:excited