Gun Laws 01/14/2013

nope, they were designed for killing Vietcong guard dogs.

you realize a suppressor will not muffle anything that breaks the sound barrier right? maybe make it a bit quieter I’m sure. I’m gonna look up youtube videos of suppressed ar’s now

i look at a suppressor as more of a safety device than anything else, the reduce noise just enough to not damage hearing and more importantly the really reduce the concussive blast at the muzzle especially if you have a surefire brake, which i could not imagine firing in an enclosed spaced

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPMbKp82ZW8[/ame]

hardly quieter, although any difference I’m sure your ear drums appreciate

they do lessen the sound of anything they are made for, the supersonic vs subsonic ammo is entirely different, and is only important for military use of a suppressor, (your target hearing the shot before the bullet gets there).

and how often do you hear a bullet before it hits you exactly?

well ive never been shot but thats not really the point, the factor of muzzle velocity only affects what gets to the target first, noise or projectile, the amount of excess gas burning at the muzzle is what will produce more noise, not to mention that video is showing a surefire supressor on a 10.5" SBR, the supressor would perform way better on a 14.5" to a 20" barrel

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRszXlUH4A&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

heres what that suppressor was designed for, ignore the downrange echo pay attention to the muzzle blast/noise

:lol I wasn’t asking that literally. that is a good bit quieter, but still not silent at all and still easily traceable, at least for a round moving that quickly. a 9mm or .45acp maybe a silencer makes it pretty quiet but I still don’t understand why they are illegal. I would love to have a silencer so I could shoot all day and not worry about hearing damage even with my ear muffs on.

A suppressor most certainly reduces the DB of the rifle. Anyone that says they don’t do that much obviously has never fired a rifle with one on it before. Go read up on Db scaling and it’s power ratio. Hell I think Wiki has a decent chart on their site. A mere 10DB reduction is HUGE on the shooter as well as those around them.

I admit i have never fired a silenced rifle, nor been near one. just based on those youtube videos it isnt enough to make it an assasin weapon that nobody hears, just a bit less damaging to your ear drums because it is def quieter, but it still isn’t exactly quiet :lol

truth

people think suppressors take a firearm from a massive BANG! to a whisper of pew. they dont, the decibel scale is based on logarythyms, so each time you go up on the scale its exponentially louder, there are no supressors that make a weapon absolutely silent, the closest ive seen to that is an integrally suppressed MP5 and the can on those is a good portion of the barrel length and keep in mind thats for a 9mm not a rifle cartridge

Suppressors designed for military applications are much more effective than what the average civilian can buy.

Turn your volume all the way up and watch the bolt…

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJL2yzryAYY”]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJL2yzryAYY[/ame]

thats still subsonic ammo theyre firing, find me a military suppresser that silences a supersonic round like that

Of course you won’t find one. It’s not like the suppressor follows the bullet to the target, then magically returns to the end of the barrel. You cannot suppress the shockwave of the bullet unless the bullet never produces one in the first place.

A suppressor only mutes the noises from the muzzle, reduces felt recoil, and pretty much eliminates muzzle flash. It won’t suppress any noise of the rifle itself, nor will it suppress any noise discharge from a GI bolt system.

The benefits of one still FAR outweigh anything else and the noise reduction is enough for me. If I could own one in this state, I’d hand load subsonic 5.56 as it’d give me a reason to. I want to make a sub sonic 300BO upper to hunt with. Suppressed would be great so i wouldn’t have to wear heavy ear protection which would allow me to hear what’s going on around em in the woods(animals, other hunters, etc)

:lmao obviously you can’t actually totally silence a round, hence why I am so confused as to why they are illegal. you can’t go around like a ninja assassin sniping people with it like we’re led to believe.

Only gun Id get a suppressor for is my Walther P22 and Springfield XD9. The Walther P22 would be very quiet suppressed. Subsonic ammo and a suppressor works wonders.

I’d love to suppress a .22, would love a suppressed 5.56, and wouldn’t mind a suppressor for a future P226 .40 cal either.

just make one