Gun crew Ive got a ? for you.

So Ive been looking into buying my first gun/ rifle, bearing in mind this is more for target/ varmit “removal”. Ive had people telling me to get a .223 but honestly Ive been thinking more of a .22, it seems to be more practical for me and what I would use it for. The only thing Im unaware of is any kind of issues/ restrictions from NYS on mail order weapons, permits/ etc… I dont want this to be a pain in the ass process but I honestly would appreciate any feedback , replies that would help point me in the right direction.

This is something Ive been contemplating.,

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=97&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D

Again Im open to suggestions.
Thanks.

There are no permits needed for long guns in upstate NY. You do have to pass a quick background check at the time you purchase or transfer a rifle to you from a shop. As long as you do not have any felonies or mental health issues you are good to go.

If it is just for varmint removal, and target then a .22 is more than fine.

As far as buying online. you can but the firearm has to be shipped to a local dealer (ffl) and they will do the transfer. The transfer usually has a fee and it should be no more than $25.

Now the site you listed above is one that you should stay away from. They are part of a conglomerate that has multiple websites and are known for ripping people off. There is a thread dedicated to them on a very well known pistol forum, they are BAD news.

Guns you might want to look at
Ruger 10/22
S&W 1522
GSG AK
GSG5

Thank you, I knew there was a reason to ask this. I honestly would like that style of rifle but I definitely look at those other ones today. As far as shipping to a local dealer like the gun center do I have to notify them of it?

Generally how it works is that you should notify the FFL (federal firearm licensee) who you’re going to have the gun shipped to, especially since the dealer or person you buy it from will probably need to get a copy of the receiver FFL’s license, unless they have shipped things back and forth in the past. Then you do the deal with whoever you’re buying from, and they will arrange to ship it to the local guy, who you then have to pay a fee to (typically $20-35). I just did this with a handgun purchase. Even though the transfer cost me $25, it saved me a lot of money in sales tax (FFL’s don’t collect tax, except on their $25), and the gun was way cheaper out-of-state.

plus one on ruger 1022

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ffldealers/FFLDealerDetails.aspx?sid=106303

Really good FFL who will charge you significantly less than Gun Center.

I’ll keep that in mind. Also I’ve looked at that ruger and while its nice its not exactly what I’m looking for. However the s&w and both gsg 's are very nice and closer to what I’m looking for. Is there any recommend sites to do business with seeing as how the one I had listed seems to be a sham operation?

you can always browse nyfirearms.com also,alot of great deals on there sometimes. also they do alot of Face 2 face no no tax or ffl fee’s

www.gunbroker.com

A couple friends have sold on there but not purchased from it.

Go FTF. Save yourself tax, FFL and the paperwork. Not that a .22 would be a blip on the radar (tin foil statement) but you also are somewhat un-traceable depending on the seller. :wink:

look into the smith & wesson m&p 22.

x2, I shot the pistol version of the M&P 22 and after I sighted in the red dot, it was dead accurate, cheap, and a blast to shoot

I wound up going to the buffalo gun center and purchasing a smith and wesson mp 1522. Thanks for the replies. I’m hoping to be out shooting this upcoming weekend. Suggested ranges while we are at it?

http://slickguns.com/product/browning-buck-mark-rimfire-22-lr-pistol-blue-finish-29999-free-shipping

http://slickguns.com/product/phoenix-arms-hp22a-rangemaster-kit-black-finish-semi-auto-full-size-5-10rds-17599-fs

I’ll have to see goods this weekend turns out. So far im way behind. Might have some people shooting tomorrow

I’ll be lookin for next Friday most likely, if you wanna shoot it or take a peek at it