illegitimate Vista users, beware SP1 *WGA*

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_sp1_wga.asp

on the plus side, it doesn’t look like it will totally cut off your access to files/programs, but instead just annoy the shit out of you.

If you’re running a non-legit version, installing SP1 will probably invalidate it. At any rate, I’m sure it’ll be hacked again before the service pack is even released

First, why would anyone actually want to upgrade to Vista?
Bloated POS.

Glad Microsoft is spending so much time on important things instead of making the OS more reliable

Vista isn’t so bad IMO, but it is certainly slower than XP

If I had a choice, I’d stay with XP but unfortunately, that’s not where the future is (nor DirectX10 sadly)

I got a chuckle out of the Geek Squad not being able to understand why I would buy a Vista laptop and a copy of XP. I got a bigger chuckle out of the fat geek at the register telling me that I won’t be able to find the drivers but for $130 they would install XP for me and if they couldn’t find the drivers they would make their own.

:eyebrow:

lol I loathe geeksquad

you’d be better off asking the kid down the street to help ya out (not you per se… ya know what I mean)

^ Ahahhahahha OK, Mental Note… dont let geek squad in the house

ya. it stops shutting down the os and just annoys you until you fix it.

that will be hacked b4 its even released, dont worry.

I don’t know why your bitching…

They scaled back the protection instead of totally fucking you…its still semi useable…

I’ve switched to Vista Business as my main development desktop here at work and I’m actually starting to like it. I did it because our software package now supports Vista so I figured I’d better learn it. I still have my XP Pro PC under my desk as well though and it’s just a “Scroll Lock + Scroll Lock + 3” away. :slight_smile:

Anyway, :lol: at the glorified button clickers at GeekSquad “making” drivers.

ive been running Vista but i’m going to switch back. I like it, but getting certain programs to cooperate with it just doesn’t happen.

I can’t get Pro-E to work on my comp, which is why I was in a computer lab for 19hrs yest/today

wow, pro engineer wouldn’t load for you? Do you have the latest version?

usually software companies like PTC/Siemens/ect are on top of that kind of stuff like the plague.

just disable uac or run as admin

Vista is actually a good OS. Having used both xp and vista extensively, dx9 performance in xp is only a couple fps better in some games. Otherwise there isnt a noticeable difference. dx10 is the future. Buy vista. get used to it. deal with it. learn it, etc etc. xp wasnt even a good os until sp2 for christ sake. Give vista a bit more time.

vista is a way better OS. Theyre starting to finally shut down the all the holes that theyve created over time. Windows is improving. And the reason why there are so many incompatability issues is because many programs(especially games) were using these holes to pass information. Now that those vulnerable pathways are closed, the OS is much more secure. Still not great, but its getting there. I would stick with Vista if your software is compatible.

So far I definitely like vista, a few annoyances here and there. But no worse than when I initially upgraded to XP a ways back.

there is a program out call vLite that you can use to make your own install disc so that you can cut out all the annoyances before you even have vista installed, even integrated parts of the OS that you know your not going to be using. i have done this with my copy of Ultimate and have had no problems what so ever. it runs much faster then a un-modified version of Vista as well.

http://www.vlite.net/
and the list of changes that they have made to the software, stuff that you can add and remove from the vista install.
http://www.vlite.net/changelog.html

Direct from their site:
vLite is a tool for customizing the Windows Vista installation before actually installing it.

Main features are:

* hotfix, language pack and driver integration
* component removal
* unattended setup
* tweaks
* split/merge Vista installation CDs
* create ISO and burn bootable CD/DVD

Vista is awesome. I would not go back to XP.

I agree, vista is great, I’m running vista-64bit on my new computer and it seems very quick and responsive, It manages memory so much better. It actually loads your commonly used programs into memory upon boot so when you click on the programs they launch instantly, this is why most people complain it takes up too much memory. I can see this causing problems for people under 2gb though. Its smart to use the memory as its much faster than a hard drive. Performance is awesome with 4gb. Microsoft did a great job!