LT and LS History Class

I was bored as shit about 45 minutes ago. Googled “small block”

I think a lot of you should read this to eliminate your confusion with LS series motors. Even I learned a bit.

Great read none the less.

Major changes

The original design of the small block remained remarkably unchanged for its production run, which began in 1955 and ended, in passenger vehicles, in 2003. The engine is still being built today for many aftermarket applications, both to replace worn-out older engines and also by many builders as high-performance applications. The principal changes to it over the years include:

• 1956 - Oil filtration was introduced, using a sock style filter in a canister.
  • 1957 - The engine came with only front mounts, the side mount bosses were present but not drilled and tapped leaving its retrofitting problematic.
  • 1962 - The block’s cylinder wall casting was revised to allow four inch bores. Previously, only certain years of the 283 engine (1958-1962) could be bored safely to four inches.
  • 1968 - The main journal diameter was increased to 2.45 in (medium) from 2.30 in (small) and the connecting rod journal diameter was increased to 2.10 in from 2.00 in. This allowed the use of cast iron crankshafts as the previous parts were made of forged steel. The rod bolts were changed from 11/32 in. diameter to 3/8 inch. Additionally, the canister/sock style oil filter was now converted to use spin on filters. The oil fill location was moved from a tube on the front of the intake manifold to a cap on either side valve cover.
  • 1986 - The rear main seal was changed from a 2-piece rubber design to a 1-piece rubber design that used a mounting appliance to hold it in place. This necessitated a change in the flywheel/flexplate bolt pattern as well.
  • 1987 - The valve cover surfaces were changed such that cylinder head mounting lip was raised and the bolt location was moved from 4 bolts on the perimeter, to 4 bolts down the centerline of the valve cover (this design debuted on the Corvette in 1986, and Chevrolet 4.3 L the year before). Also changed were the mounting angles of the center 2 bolts on each side of the intake manifold (from 90 degrees to 73 degrees) and the lifter bosses were increased in height to accept roller lifters. The alloy heads for use in the Corvette still retain the non-angled bolts (center 2 bolts attaching to the intake). Also all carburetors were done away with and replaced by TBI (throttle-body injection) fuel injection that acts some what like a carburetor.
  • 1996 - This was the last change for the Generation I engine, and continued through the end of the production run in 2003; all 1997-2003 Generation I engines were Vortec truck engines. The cylinder heads were redesigned using improved ports and combustion chambers similar to those in the Generation II LT1, resulting in significant power increases. The intake manifold bolt pattern was also changed to four bolts per cylinder head instead of the traditional six.

I thinks people should stop shit talking domestics now…

Almost 50 years with the same mechanical design. With all the requirements and restrictions of today’s day and age. CSB went a damn long way. What other manufacturer can say THAT!

The GM LS engine is a new engine design intended as the only V-8 engine utilized in General Motors’ line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. The LS series was a clean sheet design with little in common with the classic Chevrolet small block V8. Some LS engines are all-aluminium especially the performance oriented engines while others are cast iron, and all LS engines have 6-bolt main bearing caps.
The LS engine has been the sole powerplant of the Chevrolet Corvette since 1997 and has seen use in a wide variety of other General Motors vehicles, ranging from sport coupes to full size trucks. Due to the engine’s relatively compact external dimensions compared to its displacement and power output, the engine family is also a popular choice for kit cars, hot rods, buggies, and even light aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine

General Motors’ Generation II LT is a small block V8 engine. Making its debut in the 1992 Chevrolet Corvette, the new LT sought to draw upon the heritage of the ultimate small-block, the 1970 Chevrolet LT-1.
A significant improvement over the original Generation I V8 is the Generation II LT’s “reverse cooling” system, allowing coolant to start at the heads and flow down through the block. This keeps the heads cooler, affording greater power through a higher compression ratio and greater spark advance at the same time it maintains higher and more consistent cylinder temperatures.
Some parts from the Generation II are interchangeable with the old Generation I engine. The interchangeable parts include the rotating assembly (crank shaft, pistons, and connecting rods) of the Generation I small block with the one-piece rear main seal. The LT uses a new engine block, cylinder head, timing cover, water pump, intake manifold, accessory brackets, and front-mounted “Optispark” distributor. Engine mounts and bell housing bolt pattern remain the same, permitting a newer engine to be readily swapped into an older vehicle.

GM built good blocks. Driving a vehicle with a small block 302 or a big block 502 is always a treat. Unfortunately, GM made s lot of piecies of poo somewhere down the line too. V8’s is their thing, I think it’s safe to say GM is the king of V8’s. Things like cheap interiors on expensive cars, leaf spring suspension on a Corvette, that’s just shite.

The small block and the latest gen of LS v8s are amazing… ive been sold on them for the last two+ years reading about em.

I’ve been brainwashed in high school by ‘import’ magazines and small lil motors. These things are the real bang for the buck while small na and small turbo motors are the real money pit (too much spent in the long run).

No real replacement for displacement and considering how the latest gen of them are all aluminum I’m absolutely sold. Being all iron that’s another story (too heavy for our cars for example) but its been quite an evolution of a motor.

And you’re right what you said in the other thread… they’ve been tried and shaped and moulded into whatever you want… its pretty impressive to say the least… plus in actuality end up being the CHEAPER option than import turbos and what have you… seriously all things taken into account. Like how cheap is it to get a cam or header that ACTUALLY produces leaps of power in NA forum… like daymn…

I really can’t wait until I can afford the LS v8 + t56 swap in my s13…

What makes domestics suck is the poor chassis design (being heavy as *@#) and poor suspension designs… when americans wana build something right though they most certainly can (cobra, latest corvettes, stangs with IRS/doublewishbone conversions, ssc aero, etc… etc…).

Even say an ultima gtr… what does it have? Mostly GM mid-rear mounted NA or twin turbo setup… although toyota’s 1uf and nissan’s vh twin turbo have been done as well… the GM setup has been the best bang for the buck … and simple. It’s an awesome powerplant…

Fuck LS and LT’s

I’m going Duramax

I really should not of said that…now someone else will do it. :’(

lol http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm4.gif

Ahmed… You don’t need lots of money for an LSx based V8 swap… Most expensive piece should be the tranny set up.
(Get a 4.8 block. Dirt cheap. They have the shortest stroke. People build them to rev ridiculously high)
Iron blocks are about 77lbs heavier than the aluminum (I’ve seen fully dressed motors weighed). The aluminum versions are about 80+lbs heavier than a KA…

If you think the wieght will be an issue with all that power… You’re a dink…

I thought about putting a Duramax in my S14… Along with a PowerStroke and Cummins… And every other conceivalbe RWD engine…

any diesel would be just toooooo damned big I would think.

Never know till you try though.

That’s what I ended up thinking… Unless you conver a VW diesel to rwd… Which I’ve seen in a Corrado.

lol im not all about power thats why i still have my ka :wink: I am all about handling and grip… i know im a bitch but when im doing it i am doing it all out in every corner… and if you dont know… on my 240 im anal about 1lbs weight loss and weight gain… lol. 80lbs is like suicide.

yeah whatever… i know what you’re gona say :slight_smile:

I’m in no rush :slight_smile: I know these motors kick ass that is enough :slight_smile:

They might have made nice engines, but over all i rather eat my own shit then drive one :slight_smile:
Just kidding thats grose, but i dont like them

Pretty much contradicts everything about the swap…
If you’re anal about weight. Why are you willing to add 200lbs, or more, to your car? That’ with the all aluminum versions…

Why not go with a VQ? This would literally be the best option for you. Same weight as a KA. More NA power. The front of the motor is further back. Since its a shorter motor.
With either VQ or LSx, wiring is gonna be a bitch.
It would also be a bit cheaper…

Your logic confuses me…

^ haltech :smiley: but still a bitch dou lol lol lol

I love my LS1 powered 240sx

only people who never drove or went for a ride in small block v8 can hate on them, the torque the sound will make it worth spending most of your lunch money filling the gas tank

Dad has a small block 302 with custom headers and straight pipe to the back with dual exhaust. I am so jealous of the straight pipe. It sounds so bad ass lol.

Hey guys,

Welcome to sonLSX.org

Being that utmost everyone on here talks about putting an LSx series engine in their S-chassis.

It fits.

Yet, only a very few are actually doing it. :smiley:

Ugh… if only it were easy enough to find a good tranny…

Ill find u good tranny but she gave me herpes so watch out and she grinds every grear haha