Chevy V8 Questions

Whats the Difference in the 6.0’s and the 5.3’s? (used)

Also Does Chevy make a smaller V8 with a higher Redline.

All these motors must be FI and bolt up to like a turbo 400 Tranny.

If i build a car with V8 it will have at least a 71mm turbo on it with all stock motors I do not putting a “built” one together. I will be pushing the limits on these “stock” motors

Also what kind of tuning software is there out there, and how expensive is it…

You speaking the newer LS-1’s The size of the motor is the major difference. They smaller motor would be better at higher rpm’s because it ‘might’ have shorter stroke. don’t forget no replacement for displacement!

I am not sure if the newer motors will bolt up to a 400, however I am sure there is a way. If you are going FI and newer, you should look into the 4L80E similiar internals as a 400 with an OD.

FAST, BigStuff 3, Accell are the 3 tuning softwares that come to mind. COst varies due to application and options. WB02, etc.

Some reading material for you to start with.

I’m sure we have many LSX experts on here who can probably answer any questions you may have.

LS1Edit is a nice tuning software. There are a couple others out there.

I would browse thru a forum like LS1Tech.com they probably will have a bunch of shit in there that will help ya out.

th400 bolts up using either a crank spacer or by buying the right convertor. most of the 6.0’s have the spacer already

between the two motors, i think i’d go 6.0 just cuz its bigger and will make more torque. both i dont think it is safe to run more than 450whp thru the stock internals.

i have read that the escalade version of the 6.0 is stronger than the chevy trucks version. escalade is the LQ9 and the other truck one is the LQ4 i think. the 9 has beefier rods i believe but someone correct me if i’m wrong.

most procharger/sts turbo kits for lsx motors only seem to run 7-9 psi or so and make near 450 at the wheels. i dont think you’d want to go higher than that.

the 04-07 LQ4 and LQ9 have the same internals. the 02-03 LQ9 have the better rods. any of the Gen III motors can rev 7k with the right mods…IE valve springs, a good dual spring is recomended for any high boost application, a set of rod bolts will make sure the motor stays solid above 6500 rpms. as for which motor to use. honestly go with the larger cubes. they all rev the same. todays LSX platforms arent like yesterdays motors where small was better for reving. for what you want to do Joe use a 5.3. Parish recently put out some serious numbers on a stock 5.3, also rick from Synergy produced 715 on a stock 5.3 with a set of twins. the 5.3 comes with a 9.5 cr which is nice for boost. the blocks are stout enough for 1k-1500 hp, stock cranks are used in alot of the big boys, if anything step up to a set of rods if you want some serious power along with good pistons for the extra reasurance.

I call bs on the 450whp for being the limits

Has anyone really pushed these things? with a turbo? if they have what is the weekest link?

I am iching for some sort of new project something to have alot of fun with…and spend Very little money on…

lq9’s came with better flowing/beefier heads if i remember correctly. they both come with a relatively low c/r which would be ideal for forced induction.

lq4 = vortec 6000 lq9 = vortec 6000 hd. The lq9 also came in silverado’s, and a few other gm trucks/suv’s

and you can push a lot of ponies through the stock internals. There are a few people on ls1tech that have h/c lq4’s w/ a large shot of nitrous on it.

cheapest bang for your buck tuning software would be megasquirt.

also prob not the cheapest but HP tuners is another Tuning option

the LQ4 and LQ9 both have the same heads…317s are the ones they are a mirror image of the ls6 heads minus the fact they have a 72cc the LQ9 was only in the SSS, Vho, Vmaxx and few esclades the LQ9 is a 10.1 motor and the LQ4 is a 9.5 motor also for tuning software is HPtuners. i know Quik and JJs both have that software. Quik has made a few standalone harness’s so you can put the lsx motor in any platform. He is doing a boosted motor for his truck. he will either be using a single PT88 or a set of twin 67mm turbos for his 408 and will be reving to 7k. so you can freely contact him

yes i have seen alot more power on stock internals but usuallly with nitrous and not boost. boosting for 550-600whp on stock internals will wear down that motor alot quicker than the same nitrous pill, because your not gonan be running nitrous all the time on that motor on the street. with boost the power is gonna be there all the time when you get on it. the cylinder pressure will be up all the time and that will stress the internals more

for a reliable street car i wouldnt go more than 450-500whp on stock internals

““5xx+ on stock internals have been done for teens of thousand miles with no issues. there are plenty of boosted stock motor trucks out there with no issues, untill they got greedy. Parish is an example Chase was a good one, trever1 is another””

this new crap is for the birds… go old school

my aluminum donovan will spin 15k rpm all day :smiley:

N2O will cause more damage than boost will with the stock bottom end. On the street, you don’t always need the boost either. These motors make plenty of torque, so you won’t be into the boost often. On the street, you can run much lower boost 5-10 psi & that motor will last forever. Syclones/Typhoons when stock made max 14.7 psi on a junk 4.3 bottom end and they held up just fine.

Parish’s 6.0 had a stock bottom end (originally - I don’t know if that was true in the end) & was making waaay more than 450 horses.

Donovans just don’t grow on trees, you know.

Yeah… replace waaay more with over double

maybe im being stubborn, but i cant get into the new lsx or whatever crap

What is the first thing that fails on these motors?

it all depends really. if spun to high rod bolts let go and desaster occurs, if denotation occurs then pistons shatter, besides that nothign really. the pinks motor had 210k miles on it and ran solid.

well wtf then? yinz are all sissys! thow ARP rod bolts in and keep the RPM 's reasonable and tune tune tune!

If Cashflow is right this winter i am going to build one…and push it…and find the weekest link!