Pushrods and OHV = teh suck!

ummm, I guess not. Here’s a nice article for all you antiquated technology h8ers.

From ALMS website:

CORVETTE RACING’S SMALL-BLOCK V-8 WINS GLOBAL RACE ENGINE OF THE YEAR AWARD

Cologene, Germany – GM’s small-block V-8 added another accolade to a long list of honors when Corvette Racing’s LS7.R was named the Global Motorsport Engine of the Year at the inaugural Professional Motorsport World Expo in Cologne, Germany, on November 9. The race-prepared LS7.R engine, which shares its architecture with the production LS7 small-block V-8, propelled Corvette Racing to its fifth GT1 class victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 18, 2006. The 7.0-liter engine also powered the Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars to the 2006 American Le Mans Series manufacturers, drivers and team championships with a perfect reliability record.

“Winning this award is another milestone in the history of the legendary GM small-block V-8,” said GM Racing director Mark Kent. “The championship-winning LS7.R has evolved to a very high level of development, yet it retains the longstanding virtues of compact size, simplicity, reliability and high specific output that have made the GM small-block V-8 the world’s most successful production-based racing engine.”

The 2006 Race Engine of the Year Awards were organized by Race Engine Technology magazine. The editors made three nominations in each of four categories: Grand Prix Engine of the Year, Global Motorsport Engine of the Year, North American Race Engine of the Year and Alternative Power Race Engine of the Year. The magazine then invited votes from 50 key race engine engineers representing the spectrum of motorsports.

“It is doubtful if ever have so many experts voted for a competition engine award,” said Race Engine Technology editor Ian Bamsey. “Each of the category winners was a genuine selection by an impressive jury of peers.”

The Global Motorsport Engine of the Year award was given to GM engineer Roger Allen, engine manager for Corvette Racing. Herb Fishel, former director of GM Racing, accepted the award on behalf of Allen and GM Racing at the ceremony. The Corvette Racing program was conceived in 1996 under Fishel’s guidance.

“Winning this prestigious award spotlights the technical expertise of GM Racing and the world-class team of partners and suppliers who have contributed so much to the success of the LS7.R engine,” said Allen. “Winning at Le Mans, winning the American Le Mans Series championships, and winning this award are all tributes to the teamwork of Pratt & Miller Engineering, Katech Engine Development, and all of the LS7.R component suppliers. On a personal level, it’s an honor for me as an engineer to have designed engines that have won the Daytona 500, Indianapolis 500, Daytona 24-hour, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.”

The LS7.R is the heir to the GM small-block V-8’s winning tradition that began in 1955. The small-block V-8 is the foundation of the hot rod and high-performance industries and the cornerstone of racing series around the world. GM has produced approximately 90 million small-block V-8 engines with a combined output of 27 billion horsepower.

GM Powertrain developed the production 505-horsepower LS7 small-block V-8 that powers the Corvette Z06 supercar using many competition-derived components and design features. The LS7 bristles with race-inspired technology from Corvette Racing, including titanium connecting rods and inlet valves, a dry-sump lubrication system, CNC-ported cylinder heads, a forged steel crankshaft, and a big-bore aluminum block with plate-honed cylinders.

turbo_ls1 could build an LS7R for a third of what Katech does!

Overhead cam is a fad I tell ya! :lol:

You never know he might be able to, he has some connections :headbang:

awwwwwwww shiitttt…

competition build off? who can build a Ls7-R the cheapest. Brent strong Vs Turbo Ls1 SS???

Fuck cheapest. You can’t do things right for cheap. If I wanted an LS7R, I’d call Katech. They know their shit and, well, read the article. The results speak for themselves.

i swear, one day we’ll all look back on this overhead cam thing and laugh.

what were they thinking?!?

I do every single day.

i bet you do.

8 cylinders, 2 heads, 16 valves, one cam = syyyyqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

Could always steal one.

:biglaugh:

GM has produced approximately 90 million small-block V-8 engines with a combined output of 27 billion horsepower.

300 hp / engine ?

uuuh ? did they include the 50’s 70’s, 80’s or early 90’s in those calculations ?

coming 2029…

coming 2018…

Seriously, the 400hp version of that motor is light, compact, reliable and can be had as a “crate” motor for ~$12,000. What do you suppose 400NA hp costs from Porsche, BMW, or etc.?

I’m sure they did, there are quite a bit of high powered production V8’s out there. There not all 305 POS blocks.

BMW 5L v8 32v 400hp, will run you approx $13-16k for a crate motor
Porsche 4.9L v8 32v 350hp (old 928 engine) will run you approx $5k
Porsche 520-hp 4.5-liter dohc 32-valve twin-turbocharged V8 will run you approx. $20k (with endless potential for upgrades, there are a bunch running 700+hp).

So nothing “really” for $12k, but some stuff in the same range. The LS series of engines is a hell of an engine, something even I like!

I’m surprised at the BMW price. Are you sure that’s a complete motor? The 928 motor must be in old dollars.

ur an idiot. get back to me when u build something fast

^^ enjoys reading your posts