Time to swap out those LS1's for LT1's

details about its new Gen 5 Small Block V8 engine – dubbed LT1 – the very mill that will power the upcoming 2014 Chevy Corvette.

The Corvette’s new LT1 V8 engine is, no surprise here, set to make the car very competitive within its class. Preliminary numbers suggest no less than 450 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque for the 6.2-liter engine, as well as an estimated 0-60 mile per hour time of less than 4.0 seconds. To put those numbers in perspective a bit: The LT1 not only has a far higher specific output than the 6.2-liter LS3 that it replaces – up at least 20 hp and 26 lb-ft – but its torque is seemingly competitive with that of the 7.0-liter LS7 that lives in the heart of the current Z06.

With all that power and accelerative performance, Chevy engineers are still keeping fuel economy in mind – with the help of cylinder deactivation, the new Corvette powerplant is expected to deliver more than 26 miles per gallon on the highway, though figures for city driving are still unknown. The new small block also benefits from the latest advanced engine tech like direct injection, continuously variable valve technology and a relatively high 11.5:1 compression ratio, all while coming in a claimed 40-pounds lighter and four inches shorter than the 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 by BMW.

GM is calling the LT1 its most advanced combustion system ever. The company analyzed literally hundreds of systems to get to this final product, including crunching over 6 million hours of CPU time dedicated to combustion system optimization, and nearly 10 million hours when combustion, structure, cooling systems, lubrication and vent systems are factored in. In fact, the motor and its systems are so advanced that an academic SAE paper is being written to explain the whole shebang. The engine will also be built at the company’s 75-year-old Tonawanda plant, which happens to be where Chevy’s original small block V8 was produced way back in 1955.

:tup: to coming to Tonawanda

This just made Badazz relevant again…

I was just coming here to post this, lol. Traded optispark for DI.

As we have all heard ad nauseum, there is going to be a new 2014 Corvette debuting next year. But we haven’t heard full details on what sort of engine is under the all new hood.

Until now.

The next generation Corvette engine is the Gen V LT1, which is a direct injected V8. There was a ton of speculation about the displacement, with early reports placing it at 5.5 liters, like the C6R race car. This morning, GM has confirmed that the LT1 will be a 6.2 liter engine.

It also gets some advanced tech. The LT1 has cylinder deactivation to increase fuel mileage, which is reportedly more than 26 MPG on the highway, direct injection, dry sump lubrication (which will be an optional extra), and variable valve timing.

This Is The 2014 Corvette’s All New 450-Horsepower V8While more efficient, the LT1 is also expected to provide a nice power increase over the current LS3. With at least 450 horsepower and 450 pound feet of torque, the LT1 is up 20 horsepower and 26 pound feet of torque. It actually has a slightly better power curve than the might LS7 that currently powers the Corvette Z06.

And in a car like the Corvette, which is already a lightweight, that is pretty significant. Engineers anticipate a 0-60 time of less that four seconds for the C7 Vette, a car that will cost around $50,000.

That’s awesome.

We’ll see the wrapper that this engine will come in on January 13, 2013.

Now they just need to throw the engine in the trunk

Now we get to talk about the LT1 that isn’t a boat anchor

Fuck yea, Tonawanda!

Lots of detail gone into this engine, it’s a demanding program

Still awaiting for Big Joel’s response…

x2

Intredasting turn of events…

I was hoping for more after 15+ years.

I would guess the power is underrated.

I’m interested to see the truck motors that come from this hopefully lower compression and still good numbers.

More pics and dyno videos
Note they say a minimum of 450/450

Alternator is in a great place for turbo kits :tup:

Its pretty much a LSx with oilers, direct injection, constant vvt and different heads. Boring

To0 bad they didn’t totally eliminate the cam, timing chain, push rods, rollers and start using solenoids to electronically control the valves you can can have less rotating mass and are able to tune in a cam. God that’s 15 years of development. I hate GM

direct injection and constant vvt especially with pushrods is a pretty big jump… Modded these things are going to be monsters.

Im sure if solenoid operated valves was practical and beneficial someone would already be doing it

the solenoid thing would scare the hell out of me. speed/longevity/reliability comes to mind.

Despite enormous effort and expense being expended by both large organizations and private individuals, camshaft arrangements like patent 1527456 have never been significantly improved upon and have remained unused by the mainstream automotive community. The opinion of many engineers (and others) on the possibility of a workable variable duration camshaft being developed after so much effort and so many years of unsuccessful attempts was that it was highly unlikely that it ever could be done, and would remain an unobtainable “holy grail.”

Does electric fuel injection scare you? Better switch to trust mechanical inject and mechanical fuel pumps to while we are at it. :wink:

I don’t really think this is a vast improvement over the current design. I could be wrong but even the current VVT hasn’t really helped much.