06 Mini battery changed and ONE key stopped working????

Remember a while back when I told the story about my buddy who brought his Mini to Sears on wolf rd, and they tried fucking him on an alignment and brakes when all he wanted was a battery, then drove his car into/through the closed garage door??!?! yeah will they replaced the battery that day and they keyless entry part (lock/unlock and trunk) stopped working on the key he used to drive the car there. The original key from 6 years ago (still had the OEM sticker on it) still works 100% fine. Its like when the battery was pulled it wiped one key.

Only thing I can think is the key #1 has code ABC and key #2 has code DEF, the ecu is set with ABCDEF. When they changed the battery it lost ABC (maybe it was in the ignition or something)((he says the key battery charges while its in the ignition??? maybe it zaped it then?))

Second, is there a self set procedure to learn the key, or is it a dealer/scanner process?

I have no idea how it works on Minis but on older Mercedes MLs if you left the key in the ignition while replacing the battery it was very likely that the surge of connecting the new battery will wipe the electronics in the key destroying it. I wonder if something like that is possible with Minis?

dealer. unless you know someone with the new autel scanner. it writes keys and does almost anything a dealer scanner does. and its only 2k. i want one bad!!

what ever happened with the whole disaster with sears? did they fix his car?

I remember my Audi someone had leaked how the dealers program the key fobs on the interwebs. Trying googling it. its usually stick key in door, follow button combination, car chirps and then you’re good

MIGHT work, might not

1. Close all doors
  2. Switch to first on position (first click in the ignition), switch back off and
    remove the key.
  3. Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same
    time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed
    within 10 seconds.)
  4. Release both buttons, The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful
    initialization.
  5. If additional keys need to be initiialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30
    seconds
  6. Switching the ignition to 1st position (first click) completes the
    initialization.

if mini is like bmw which im sure it is there is a scanner process when replacing the battery for stupid shit like this.

We have a MAC Mentor, i guess its an expensive ass unit maybe it will program it if all else fails.

Ill try the key idea Cavy said.

thanks for the info so far guys.

Ohh Sears settled out of court. He got the car fixed and shit paid for, nothnig on top becasue he didnt try really.

Yeah, from what i’ve found it might actually not work, but its worth a shot before taking it to the dealer and getting bent over

www.programmingmyremote.com

For some reason the keyless entry remotes stopped working on my dad’s Focus after taking it to the dealer to fix an electrical issue with the wiring. He programmed them in the driveway.