$14,000 CRX

Basically any new Civic has to be nicer than a bare bones '90 CRX. I know you cant buy a brand new one for $14k but certainly one much newer than 20 years old for that price.

Insane because $14k is alot of money for a 20 year old basic car that was probably $4k new. I dont know what would make somebody pay that kind of money for that car.

When I tried selling my grandmother’s low mileage '93 car here people thought it was rediculous that I was asking $1500 for a 16 year old car with 34k, limited options and no rust but yet people are thinking this sale was a deal or something.

Look at how much people pay for older cars from the 60s and 70s. Are you going to say the same thing to somebody who buys a numbers matching old Challenger for more money than a new one? Your grandmother’s car was not desirable or in demand like many Hondas are. 14k is a high price for that car, but somebody found it worth that. You and your “newer is better” mentality. Maybe for safety, not for value.

Sure the prices for old muscle cars are rediculous too but they have a collectiblity thing going on. They pretty much always have since new for the most part. I just dont see a 20 year old Honda going thru an auction like Barrett-Jackson and bringing any kind of real money like that.

Im at a point in my life where Id rather have something new and nice and dependable than something old.

I understand, but some people view the old Hondas as collector cars. It is a rare find with that mileage, one owner, and in that condition. Supply and demand PJB.

New ones start @ $15.5k, will have DRUMS in the back, while the Crx had Disks 20 years ago. New Civic will have less hp/lb.

Once again define “nicer. Power windows? Woopty do.

Wrong Msrp was around ~$14K for an Si model 20 years ago. Adjusted to inflation it costs about as much as a new Civic Si, or low 20’s.

What would make people pay that money for it, is because it’s better.

Because it was a piece of shit.

People actually want to own these cars and are quite willing to pay for them. Unlike most older domestics which are worth nothing.

Whoa watch it!

Alright, let me specify, cause that is a bit untrue.

Run of the mill, next generation K cars domestics to be more specific.

:thumbup

Nicer looking, better ride, more creature comforts, etc.
For a daily driver Id much rather have rear drums. They dont wear out nearly as quick and the car will still stop just fine.

Wrong Msrp was around ~$14K for an Si model 20 years ago. Adjusted to inflation it costs about as much as a new Civic Si, or low 20’s.

What would make people pay that money for it, is because it’s better. .

Talk about anal rape. Back then you probably couldve had a Mustang or Camaro or alot of other better cars for that price.

Because it was a piece of shit

People actually want to own these cars and are quite willing to pay for them. Unlike most older domestics which are worth nothing.

Funny, the same thing I think about a '90 Honda. I can think of quite a few domestics the same age people want and would still pay a decent amount for- Camaro’s, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc.

In the real world most people would laugh at somebody for paying $14k for '90 Honda anything.

I bought a MINT body 1991 Dodge Spirit turbo once, it blew up within the first hour of being on the road. I won’t buy another one again.

/PJB

Nicer looking? That’s debatable, Crx design is as much a classic as the original Mini, some people prefer that look. Better ride? 2000 pound chassis glides over pavement and with low miles it feels like new. Creature comforts? The Crx came with a sunroof, the Civic won’t. Power steering in a 2000 pound car is useless only more things to break, a CD/DVD/GPS can be put into any car nowdays without an issue. What other comforts can a base civic have that the Crx fails to meet or surpass?

It’s funny you say they are better in that sentence, when you just listed the qualifications for better above.

See above on the correction. I would love to see a stock 90 Camaro or a stock 90 mustang go for $14K. What’s even funnier is they cost more than the Crx new. Even a C4 Vette would find a hard time selling for that much, and it was worth double that new.

PJB, this IS the real world…:crazy

And that just happened.

To me a CRX is a death trap. Way too tiny and just seems scary. No powersteering on them if I remember right too. Ive gotta have that.

I can guarantee if I went anywhere and said I paid $14k for a 20 year old Honda people would laugh and think I belonged in a mental hospital.

How is that any different that you saying you put $XXXX into a '92 Mustang? I’m sure they will tell you that was retarded as well. You should know non-car people can’t be the proper judge on finances spend on enthusiast cars.

Power steering in a 2000 pound car? Really PJB? Really?

Crx is an older vehicle so it is more dangerous in some aspects, however the light weight also prevents it from absorbing much of the impact, and rather going with it at the time of the accident, taking on less visual physical damage than a comparative modern car with a heavier weight. Is the passenger less protected inside? Yes, but there are certain advantages in the safety of the vehicle as well.

Why do you guys bother arguing with Paul about this?? He is TEXTBOOK closed-minded, he doesn’t appreciate ANY other kind of car than a BORING run of the mill DD like his Elantra or his F150 or some classik MUSSEL KARR like his MUSSTANG and thinks that all cars that don’t fit in these categories are literally worthless or are too overpriced.

Just let him live in his own little world where mint older cars are worth $600 and 43524% interest rates on newer trucks that get 12MPG highway are the norm.

I know I put way too much into my POS car. I got carried away with it and kept having to fix it. Most of the money into it is repairs, alot of which stem from it being a 17 year old POS with over 100k.

Power steering is a requirement for any car I own. I had to drive my old Neon without when the belt popped off and it kinda sucked.

I just wouldnt feel safe in a car that small. I look at a car that looks like it would fit in the bed of my truck and think that Id probably die if I was driving it if it crashed. Im a big guy so Id probably get stuck in it pretty bad and lose body parts from being stuck/crushed in it.

Trust me I dont think my Mustang is the greatest thing ever. I really dont like it these days.

As for daily drivers Id rather have something newer and stock and dependable. Also something that blends in is a plus for me. To some a vehicle like my truck might be boring but to me its really not. Its a dependable ride to work and something to haul my stuff around like my quad, bike, etc or even make a little money hauling stuff with like I constantly did with my old trucks.

wtffffffff. You’re a big guy, are you seriously complaining? With narrow tires manual steering shouldn’t be a problem for ANY relatively “fit” person, I never complained once rolling around on stick 205’s this summer.

Plus that’s an opinion not a fact :lmao

Feeling safe<-------->being safe

The big huge cars of the 50’s and 60’s were probably super safe right? Nice and solid construction???

Ignorance is bliss.

The PS/no PS issue doesnt have anything to do with me being big or fit. I just dont like manual steering. Ive driven a few cars with no PS and didnt like driving them. A few Neons, a Metro and a few others.

Ok so theyre taking a 50 year old car and wrecking it. It doesnt really prove anything now because alot of things can happen to a car in that amount of time. Rust, shitty repairs, shit like that. Really I think that video is some sort of publicity stunt anyway.

Even so take one of those big boats and smack it into a CRX at 55 mph and see what happens.

No, Paul, tell me what happens.

Well since I dont have either one here I cant tell you that.

In any case Id hate to ruin a decent '50’s car smashing it into a POS.