17x9: can a KA drift with these?

Hey guys, I’m looking to buy a pair of rims for the rear for drift days. The digits are 17"x9" +35, wrapped with 235/40/17 tires. Those of you who’ve seen me know my KA is stock, so I’m worried I’ll have a harder time drifting with wider tires in the back. I know some of you run some pretty big tires (Theo!!) so I know this is the place to ask. Any input from you guys would be great!

Thanks
Leo.

Sure you still can. Some people would prefer it, since they say higher grip tires are easier to control when they lose traction.

Theo has the wide wheel and tire combo in the back, but also runs stock KA power man. And he was whipping it out nicely everytime i saw him drifting.

uhhg fast wheels… i guess their alright for drift spares, but their abit on the heavy side, ive heard of lots of people running 9’s on a stock ka, you’ll be fine

Hey Leo.

I don’t run the 245 A032’s while I drift, I run stock sizes on the track, stock sizes with good tires, like anything from a 205 to a 225 on the Z32’s that I have that are 7.5" wide I believe.

I would only run anything larger if I was running a turbo, especially on a large diameter wheel.

That’s just me tho, if you want to go for it, you need super fast entry speeds to be able to carry the large contact patch in a large sweeper, and the tank slap will be harsher, so if you get squirley, home there isn’t a wall near-by.

I think your best bet would be to run your nice wheels to the track, then change them out for drift sluts once you get there.

Theo

I ran 17x9 +20 on my 240 with stretched 225’s and 235’s on them…

They slide fine, just stay away from concrete barriers…

19x7, must of looked like pizza cutters.

Yeah, and only bob mentioned it, but stretched tires will slide easier than squared sidewall tires…

19x7, must of looked like pizza cutters.[/quote]

I think you read wrong… 17x9 not 19x7

Hmmmmmm, I think I agree with this post. By ‘drift’ I don’t mean doing a 180 or something in a parking lot… To be able to initiate and maintain a good angle is all dependant on your tires. Too much grip on an underpowered vehicle can work against you. But keep 'em coming!

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=A0791F67-3B51-4B33-B251-6055C653CC8F

these are some guys on zilvia that drift with 17x9 all the time.

just keep the rpms up and don’t fall below 4.5k

redline
mash the gas and don’t lift off

ive never personally tried it but, seeing vids from these guys are proof that its possible. they are mostly better than ppl in canada, but thats because they are in socal and obviously a lot better than us since they have track events 2x a month.

but just letting you know that it is very possible, but not for beginners.

just put winters on, it’l be fine :smiley: :smiley:

17 x 9 is fine but run a narrow tire like 205/45/17 or 215/45/17

that way u will have better chance to keep it sideways longer plus stretch is hot

I drifted on 235/45/17’s on a 7 wide rim this season.

Although I wouldn’t suggest that setup, it’s still possible to slide.

I’m moving down to a 225 next season to take some slop out of the bulging sidewalls.

This is what I love about SON, tons of advice from hard parkers.

This is what I love about SON, tons of advice from hard parkers.[/quote]

Damn, I was hoping no one would call me out on that. :roll:

well gentlemen, I think enough has been said on this topic, for two reasons really: 1. too many people talking out of their asses, while those that actually DO know from experience get voiced out. 2. I bought a set of 17x7’s for track, so I don’t care about 17x9’s anymore.
And you can come and see my new purchase at Dip’s event on the 10th, or DriftNation’s DK3 @ TMP.

Leo.