1975 Honda CB550 cafe bike build!

you know better than to bump this thread. out of all of my projects this is the farthest one from being touched.

Start an XS build thread.

Am I allowed to bump this now? Update this thing.

:lol:

1: I took a motor apart. surprisingly minimal swearing involved. Until I snapped 5 out of 8 exhaust studs on removal to prep for headwork and had to drill/tap/helicoil them.
2: I looked at the frame in my basement and then walked away.
3: Surfed internet and ordered some things.
4: Realized I own 3 cb550’s, a cb750, and a ton of yamaha triples. Sold the cb750 and a triple to fund this build.
5: Stopped working on shitty bikes for shitty people that don’t pay.

:bigclap:

Guess I’ll start putting updates together at least for my own sake.

So, remembering the past. The Day I bought the bike…parked in the garage at the Ritz where Beast had it parked.

After a few years tinkering it last looked like this (when I blew the motor)

I tore it down almost 6yrs ago and sold off the motor, carbs, dual disc front end, disc rear setup, wheels, tank, etc. It’s been a nearly bare frame sitting in my basement since that time as I had huge plans that got back-burnered in favor of other things.

A couple weeks ago GV1390 lit a fire under my ass and got me back into this thing.

we took an afternoon and tore down a tired old CB650 motor I had picked up a few years ago to save for this.

Boxed up the empty cases and covers to send to Restocycle (Nils does phenomenal work) to have everything vapor blasted

Dropped the Transmission parts off to Fast by Gast for undercutting 2nd through 5th gears, bead blasting, and general inspection/cleaning

Head was sent straight from Restocycle to JMR porting for a “stage 2.5” port and polish treatment courtesy Mike Rieck.

Guess I’ll share the collection of parts I’ve been grabbing as deals came up over the past 5yrs or so…

TL1000S inverted front end

Wards Riverside Tank

Grabbed a few different monoshock rear swingarms to see what fits/works best…no pics.

scored a set of Lester 19F/18R cb750f disc model mag wheels

GSXR1000 forged H-beam rods (same bearing and wrist pin sizes and stroke length as cb650!)

Other plans include a Dynoman DP674cc piston kit, C5 electronic ignition kit, Hindle 4-2-1 exhaust, Megacycle 126-20 camshaft, cbr600rr throttle bodies ran off a microsquirt for EFI conversion, and a lot of fab work

I’m planning on building a 3/4 frame using the stock neck and bottom 1/4 of the frame, with a removeable subframe for the seat (will fab custom seat fairing and upholstery as well)

Engine cases came back yesterday…it’ll be 3-4 wks before I get the head and trans back to begin assembly.

Also have to sort out some type of charging system upgrade/conversion. Grabbed a 2005 R6 flywheel on ebay because the mounting taper is the same angle, and at $34 shipped I want to see if it happens to fit the end of the crank

Oh, and since the megacycle cam requires being degree’d in, I grabbed a spare rocker cover to mill off the cam sprocket hump so I can adjust the slotted sprocket on assembly then swap my normal cover on

only parts I don’t have is the piston kit and the electronics. Should be fun to finally get my first bike back on the road.

Looks amazing. How long did he have your parts for? I’m going to ship him a bunch of work as soon as my covers are stripped. Hoping it looks that good.

:bigtup:

I think he had my parts for 5 or 6 days. Nils is excellent to work with and keeps you in the loop via text and pics along the way so you’re on the edge of your seat the moment you send them to the moment they return to your doorstep. It was very reasonably priced considering the number of parts he did.

That’s good to hear. I’m sending him probably about the same amount of surface area to blast. Maybe a few more parts, but they’re smaller. The only ‘big’ parts I’m sending him are the two case halves and the cylinder head, I’m degreasing the hell out of everything and plugging the oil passages and bolt holes before sending it all. I’m budgeting ~$500 for Nils. Just waiting on my covers to come back from shitty chrome removal before I get a quote together and shit stuff his way.

@L47 If you don’t want to go through the hassle of shipping to Nils let me know. I just convinced a friend of mine who’s a machinist on vapor blasting so he ordered a $7k machine that should be arriving in two weeks.

• Updated - - -

Also, Nick’s cases arrived:

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/italiano1390/ECFA70E5-421E-44F1-B30A-73EE461E823F_zpsohh4go6g.jpg

Definitely interested. Local is always better. Probably save myself almost $100 in shipping costs. Let me know when he’s ready to blast.