1995 bmw 325is help!

so i bought a bmw this past summer, its been running great, i average about 2800 miles a week driving for work and the cars been fantastic up until this past week. i know the VANOS unit makes some noise but from what i have read its normal for high mile cars, (car has 183k on it) When the car is cold it runs perfect! when it gets to normal operating temp the car hesitates and seems like it misfires up until 3000 rpm, then it evens right out and runs perfect… i have changed the gas filters, and plugs checked coils and i change the oil every other weekend with mobil one… ive cleaned he MAF sensor and really i just am out of ideas. the car doesnt throw any codes. If any one has any input please send it my way… i guess if i cant fix it im just going to have to do the m3 swap! lol

thanks,

Andrew

check for a vacuum/ air leak. spray brake clean around the intake area and see if the engine reacts to it.

sounds like a coil to me. The ohm meter test doesnt always work. disconnect each cyl coil while it runs to see if theres any change in rpm to try to find the faulty coil if faulty at all.

This guy knows his BMWs.

X…

Try the coils like Turbociv suggests. The first week i had my E36 it started doing the EXACT same thing. It would run excellent until it was hot, then it would miss under 3 like crazy. In my situation it ended up being the first thing i replaced, which was the plugs, but it was DEF a spark issue. Im certainly not an a expert, but id think a vacuum/air leak would surface when it was cold as well.

^do those things, & check icv

Coincidentally I have this problem as well HAHA and it does not really affect drivability. The idle will drop real low at start up before evening out, and it will also surge intermittently after a WOT pull. Id say it COULD be an issue but it doesn’t seem to match with his symptoms (in my experience) If you wanna give it a try, pull the ICV out from under the intake manifold and give it a good cleaning, mine work flawlessly for about a month afterwards.

I never had an idle problem when I had the car, but I’m glad to hear it was just the plugs with the misfire. I had a feeling it might have been them. Sucks cause I just put those ones in, wonder what happened.

haha no worries brother. I kinda wondered that myself because the ones i took out didn’t look that bad, The gap wasn’t awful either. I have about 2k miles on the ones i put in and no issues thus far :slight_smile:

i’ve seen a bad icv on an m20 have those symptoms, it’s a possibility

2800 miles/week?!? Are you a drug runner?

Lol actually I work in retail we are opening some new stores and I choose to commute because the money is fantastic (paid milege and time and a half for travel time.)

all fixed, ended up valve cover gasket, it was leaking oil into the spark plug holes causing the intermittent miss on all 6 cylinders. runs perfect now! on a side note has anyone done the dr. vanos thing? does it work and is it hard to install? thanks for all your help!