1G DSM tranny fluid help

ok so i drained the fluid and put in some new stuff. i read the book and thought it said 3 quarts, and put 3 in. it took all 3 quarts but later i re-read it and it said 2. how bad is this? is it bad at all?

where i poured the fluid is right under the shifter, clutch cables on the tranny.

im almost positive its the wrong place.

what do i do?

can i drain it and reuse it?

ugh i hate knowing nothing.

i dont know the specifics of your tranny…but if you know what you did is wrong…find out how to properly do it, or find someone who can, and do it again. 2 quarts of tranny fluid isnt worth any headaches that may surface from fuckin up the job

yeah my main concern is how to get the fluid out of where i shouldnt have put it and get it outta there.

have you tried draining it again to see if any new fluid came out?

i really dont think there is anywhere else you could put 3 quarts of tranny fluid except the tranny, thats unless you filled ur engine with it haha

nah i wont be able to do anything until i go back to boces monday

well if you have been driving you know theres fluid in there…if there was no fluid in your tranny you would def know it…other than what you read…is there any other cause for concern? how does the tranny shift? or have you not even touched it since

im not driving the car. im planning on starting/driving the car for the 1st time tomorrow thats why i need to know how to remove the fluid.

Remove the correct fill plug shown in the diagram posted on wnydsm. If its too full, the fluid will come out the fill hole.

there is also a how to on vfaq.com

ok, i got more fluid to fill with but how do i remove the fluid i put in? i have no idea where that fluid is sitting or if its gonna damage something in where i put it. thats what im really worried about.

just look at the picture that Gary (devioustsi) posted on wnydsm. You want to unscrew the drain plug at the bottom of the tranny. It’s a 19mm bolt. Just unscrew it and let the fluid drain out, put it back in and tighten it and get yourself a funnel with a hose on it and fill it the right way (in the fill hole). About 3-4 inches above the drain hole on the “side” of the transmisson.

so where did i actually end up putting the fluid? will it come out the drain plug?

Maybe it ended up in the correct spot. If you remove the fill plug or drain plug and fluid starts coming out you should be set. Just make sure you remove the fill plug and let all of the extra fluid out

Worst case scenario is that you put fluid through the bell housing vents…lol…that would suck

I have no idea, I’d have to look at it. I have to imagine it’s in the transmission. There may be a screw/plug that is on top that enters to the inside.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

but if i put in a whole extra quart shouldnt it have come out of somewhere?

this is what i get for listening to my friggen teacher. lol

i have a bad feeling i put it in the bell housing. isnt that underneath the clutch cables close towards the motor? if so im in for some fun times lol

If we’re saying it’s in the transmission then, no it wouldn’t be coming out somewhere because you don’t fill the whole case of the transmission with fluid, just enough to coat the gears. Therefore you have too much in there but not enough to be completely full.

I hope not since you’ll be taking out your transmission to change your clutch. But I don’t think you did because I think it would be leaking between your transmission and the block. Since you havent’ mentioned it, you may be fine.

Just go out there and unscrew your fill plug and see if the fluid comes out.

Don’t worry, an extra quart can still go into the transmission. Just remove the fill plug

ohhh. ok then. so hopefully i can return the 3 quarts i just bought and get me my 20 bucks back lol. thanks alot guys thats a big relief.