2.3 to 5.0 swap

looking to yet again do the 5.0 swap into my 90 vert…looking for suggestions,help,a motor…etc.

why swap? why not build up and turbo a 2.3? you would spend about the same amount and be faster

damn nick, it’s scary how much you know compared to about this time last year :eek:

thanks joel, i did learn alot lol.

1. Torque
  2. Torque
  3. Torque

You would probably spend more money on turbo components and making the 2.3 stronger

Call BDR5OH, I’m sure he has everything you need…CHEAP 465-2820 his name is Derrick

stupid question prolly. what kinda car are we talking about here?

I would assume it’s a Fox body Mustang

if he wants to weight the possibilities he should PM nikuk

its a 1990 4cyl convertible…i didnt want to do the turbo cause there 150k on the motor,i figured a 5.0 swap wouldnt be to hard,the body is so clean i dont feel like buying a 5.0 vert…it was a free car to me, might as well do something with it

yeah i would think that a 5.0 swap would be very straight forward

Real quick:

what do You want out of the car?

2.3T foxes run low 12’s on stock longblock, stock turbo, and ~$1k in mods. ALL DAY. Add in a $400 Holset turbo & a 75 wet shot and You run mid 11’s. ALL DAY. Besides, turbo 5spd cars are fun to drive. Oh, BTW, I average 20-22mpg.

It will take you LESS THEN 6 HOURS to do a full swap and streetable. Ask PsychoPJV, he’s seen me swap a 23T a few times now.

Per car-parts.com there are 6 turbo motors within ~100 miles. expect to pay $300-500 for a longblock. Turbomotors are OEM equipped with forged rod & piston as well as hardened valves.

If You can’t or dont want to get a turbo motor, You can convert an NA block. Not really advisable for cost reasons. But, You’ll need these turbo motor parts anyhow:
Turbo rotating assembly (rod & piston really) ($30-75)
Head ($70 - 150)
Exhaust manifold & turbo ($50 - $300)
30 - 35lb injectors ($20 - 40 for a set).
Oil feed block & line ($20-50)
Oil return line from turbo to block ($20-50)
You need to TAP an oil return into the pan ($5 - 50)
ECU ($20-100)
Vane Air Meter ($20-100)

It’s seriously easier & better to just swap a full motor for $300. I bought my 23T donor for $300 motor, ecu, and all. Dont be scared of the ECU swap, it is LITERALLY 5 WIRES to change/splice/pin.

No need to replace a wiring harness, no need to change motor mounts, tranny xmembers, fuel lines, and all the other BS associated with 5.0 swaps. Don’t get me wrong, 5.0’s a are sexy and fun. But a 2.3 motor is literally stronger (iron content & casting) and easier to maintain. Parts are everywhere.

Oh, and as far as not having torque… LOL JnJ.

A couple of real quick examples:
A STOCK 220,000 mile shortblock, stock head, with bolt-on header, 3" exh, fmic, holset, and ECU tune: http://www.stinger-performance.com/bolton.html running

Update 7-6-2006:Playing around on his local 1/8th mile track, Matt ran a best ever 7.19 sec @ 99.20 mph bouncing off the rev limiter about 70 feet before the lights. That converts to a 11.20 @ 122 mph on a 1/4 mile track. These runs were made without the new clutch installed (clutch is still slipping). The only change was the addition of a 2 step to launch harder and an additional 25hp of nitrous. It did run 7.29 @ 97.25 without the additional nitrous. I have a feeling a 10 second run is very close.
^^ This project “bolt-on” was JUST thrown together for the WFC champsionships a few weeks ago. Not bad for a VERY mildly modded fox chassis and drop in 4cyl swap.

a few vid’s http://www.stinger-performance.com/videos.html

there are quite a few 10sec 23Ts and a scant few 9 second guys too. It’s VERY easy to run low 12’s in a 2.3T fox.

After all of that being said, if You want to go 5.0, get in touch with BDR5OH.

so where do i get a 23t motor…and my fox bod is an auto:hang: i need a tranny too

This car wouldn’t happen to be red and sitting in the back of Mercedes Benz would it?

Per car-parts.com there are 6 turbo motors within ~100 miles. expect to pay $300-500 for a longblock

5.0 parts are stupid cheap. itd be dumb to turbo the small motor, and u could prolly turbo the 5.0 cheaper than turbo the 2.3 after motor costs etc. 351 with a lotalota squirt

i know someone selling a whole car i forgot what year but its the 2.3t car is really clean hard top 5 spd mustang svo i thin its an 87 not sure though pm me for details. Older guy only owns ford has ass loads of money never beat on

86 was the last yr of the SVO

hrm…

they’re cool, but rare as shit - less than 7K made, total

EDIT: those intercoolers suck huge ass anyways, eff that :slight_smile:

‘let’s have it mounted alongside the motor, right above the god damn exhaust manifold, that’d be a good plan to cool down the incoming air!’

theres a thunderbird 2.3T sitting at m&m u pull it, complete, biggest prob i could see was that teh IC was at one point pulled off, and is currently just sitting there sorta 1/2 in place

^^knew you would come through with teh nowledg