2 Wheel Sets

Im doing this to prove to my girl that having 2 set of wheels and tires would be the best way to save tread and make her expensive tires last longer…

She wants some new Potenza RE960’s tires for her car ( their pricey ) but bitches when the tires wear down on her car and has to buy new ones.
I told her we’ll get some nice Rota wheels to put her new tires on, then get some cheap pepboys all-seasons or winter tires for her stock wheels for the winter months. ( She also bitches when she cant get traction in the winter )
Her current set of tires ( Potenza G009’s ) have only lasted a year so far and I see then having to be replaced by July.

She thinks its a stupid idea to have 2 sets of wheels… Almost everyone in my family has 2 sets of wheels.

def a good idea IMO, i always had a winter & summer set of wheels & tires

i have two sets of rims/tires for both trucks

Have an extra set for the GTP for winter. Much nicer to just throw them on when the first snow hits instead of sitting at a tire place.

yes

glad to see people are agreeing with me.
I think she is slowly understanding it is a good Idea.

Now here is the next question to prove to her:
Will having 2 sets of wheels & tires Prolong the life of her new expensive Potenza RE960’s she wants?
Yes or No… ( quote me to answer this question )

It will prolong the life of the Potenzas in calendar time, but probably not increased mileage on the tires. The Potenzas would only get more miles out of their life if for some reason they wore faster in the winter.

So it depends on exactly what you meant by the question, life in time or miles? I’m assuming you want to know what would be cheaper in the long run?

How many miles would you expect out of each tire, how much would the extra wheels cost, are you changing them yourself, and how many miles would go on each tire in a year. Add up the totals and you can figure out $/mile for each scenario.

yeah its def not going to prolong the milage. just the length in time… and when you use to buy 4 tires in 2 years. now you have to buy 8 tires in 3-4 years.

i hope the two of you arent putting a ton of effort into trying to figure this out… obviously 2 sets of tire will last longer than 1 set of tires. there are twice as many tires.

I would have a big Excel spreadsheet by now with multiple scenarios and combinations of tires and wheels, and a graph showing at what point in time you start to come out ahead. :smiley:

actually i was waiting on that from either you jacked up or OB1

to be technical tires wear more when at temp. so if you drive with the nice tires only in the summer months they were get less milage

but your winter tires will wear longer evening out and possibly going ahead because the winter tires are cheaper

i have to sets on my civic
winter are 16" steel wheels wrapped in snow tires
spring summer and fall are 17" oem si wheels wrapped in bfg kdw’s( strictly summer tires)

my snow tires this was the 3rd winter on them and they still got atleast one more left in them

my summer ones will probably be crap at the end of the summer

I think Im proving my point lol

no spreadsheet necessary for this one!

I meant life in time. not miles.
she doesnt want to buy tires every year. I told her that if we get the wheels when she gets these new Potenza’s then they will last longer since they wont be used year round. she’ll have snow’s or cheap all-seasons on the stock wheels.
So, instead of her bitching about buying new tires every year she’ll only bitch about buying tires every 3-4 hopefully…

Im kicking myself for not buying a steelie setup last winter. I just could pass on these tires. Here it is almost summer and Im still on my winter meats.

god i can’t wait to get my summer wheels on