2000 Maxima axle swap...

Is this going to piss ATF all over me if I don’t drain it first? I’ve never pulled axles on an auto FWD car before…

I guess it would depend if the fluid sits lower than the hole? but I am curious about the answer.

I am going to assume the answer is yes.

Most A/T transmissions have a dipstick, seems to me like the dipstick wouldn’t go very far down and into the transmission. Just an educated guess though.

Likewise, no experience but I would guess you will get an ATF shower if you do this… I would just drain it first.

Dont drain it, ive taken axles out of many auto FWD cars with no fluid coming out. Just jack the side of the car up that your taking the axle out to be safe

The FSM doesn’t say anything about draining it, but the differential sits below the pan… I just don’t know if the dif housing is somehow separated…

It takes like 10 fucking quarts, I don’t want to buy that if I don’t have to…

every auto fwd can ive pullen an axle out of has leaked tranny fluid

drain it or shower in it, either way you will have to buy it.

dont drain it but be prepared as every manufacturer is different. I have changed a few axles on fwd cars and never had more than a few drops come out. not sure why, I would ask an engineer or something. :wink:

rwd is totally different that fwd in regards to this.

I don’t care if a little comes out, and I have to top it off, but I don’t feel like spending 50 bucks in fluids.

lol you dont get pissed on, put a pan underneath the tranny where the axle comes out, you will catch everything, you could do this job wearing a tuxedo, youll be fine

like I said, if it does come out you have to spend the $$ anyways, nothing you can do to stop it.

regardless it only takes 4 quarts to fill if drained (LINK) of dex III (LINK). so most you are out is 25 bucks (LINK)

I like the links… Thanks! :wink:

Every FWD axle I’ve pulled out doesn’t leak to much fluid.

i like to cite my sources whenever possible.

regardless, how’d it go?