2000 Saturn LS Help

So here’s my problem, my fiance’s 2000 saturn ls, 4 cyl, auto had her ignition lock up, so you can’t get a new ignition at a local parts store so i said to hell with it and bought an entire steering column from tollgate auto out in greensburg, the install was a pain in the ass, but now the car won’t start, it cranks, but the security light is flashing and it won’t start. Does anyone have any idea what the hell to do? I read an article online earlier that said to crank for two seconds, stop, then let it sit for 10 minutes til the security light went from flashing to solid, then fire it up and it should work, well it didn’t. Help please!

Google > you

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Steering-Column-Repair-2047/2009/3/saturn-2000-steering-column.htm

This is a fairly common problem some of the older Saturns are having. The problem, is the lock cylinder has failed and will not read the key correctly. I would recommend you have the dealer cut you a brand new key. Do not make a copy of the one you have as that is part of the problem; it is worn too badly and making a copy only duplicates the issue. Spray some WD-40 into the lock hole and then tap it gently. Once you do this, then insert the new key and wiggle it up and down while attempting to turn it. This will force the tumblers inside to move and read the key (top and bottom). If this gets it to turn you have saved a lot of money, but you still need to have the lock cylinder replaced. If it will not turn, it could cost you up to $350 to have it towed, drilled out, recoded, replaced, and reprogrammed. If it turns, it should cost about $100 to just replace the lock cylinder including parts and labor.
Good Luck

thanks darkstar, talked to saturn of monroeville, they said that after replacing the column you have to have the car reprogrammed at the dealership. FML

um not to be a jack ass but wd-40 onthe key and a lil persuation would have go the key working again… probhad 10 of these problems when i worked for AAA…

oh well, i’m fucked now, have to get it reprogrammed.