so im out a nissan 240sx

because of this stupid ass igntiion im basically out a car now

i had new keys made after losing the original. the ignition column is worn the the new key isn;t an exact fit, even tho its the exact key from the key code.

im told by the nissan dealership that either a) pull the igntiion and bring it to a locksmith to make an exact fit key

or b) replace the ignition system

i fucking hate nissan’s. make a normal igniton system with a release. jackasses!

ive been jiggling and shaking the wheel, moving it, moving the key a few mm;s, ive tried everything

i even had two guys come try for me and nadda. i must have put a little over an hur in tryign to get this to unlock.

i have a complete steering column and key

$50

let me know

it will be a cold day in hell when i swap out the entire ignition system.

dont have the know how or the patience.

I would just take a dremel with a polishing wheel to one of the fresh keys and smooth out the teeth. This will, in effect, age the key so that it slides more smoothly into the ignition.

ill give that a shot happy

i dont have a dremel or a polishing wheel, so ill have to have soemone do it for me.

Worse case scenario, just got outside and rub it on the sidewalk or a curb. The concrete will be abrasive enough to smooth the key. All you are trying to do is simulate 15 years of use on a key…anything rough will work.

It’s not the “entire ignition system” it’s like… 3 (can’t remember exactly) wires once you have the steering colum cover off. Then you just run your copies for the doors - which are notoriously NOT picky when it comes to keys, and the key Avery gives you for the ignition. It’s like… a 10 minute job.

im just at my wits end with this car.

its one thing after another. i cant tell you how many hours ive spent tryign to turn the motor over. ive owened it for 4 months and havent heard it yet. everytime i get close, something stupid like this comes up.

I you have a wire wheel on a grinder or a drill, use that (locksmiths use them to smooth out the edges)… be careful, though, it can take alot off quickly if you aren’t paying attention

even a hand held steel wire brush would work, albeit slowly

Matty, this doesnt make sense… i drove the car with that key 2 months ago.

He said he just got a NEW key because he lost the old one Bing.

ok i didnt see that, i was going by what he and i talked about yesterday

the screwed part about nissans is that NOTHING small brakes, like the lights in the dash, nothing small. and the fact that all the bolts in it are resonable, unlike ford who has a different sized tourques for every fucking bolt… beut we wont get into that, so yea nissans always brake somthing big, so open up ur trunk pull up the carpet and there will be a port to ur gas tank, crack open the pannel and it will exspose u to the fule pump houseing, nissans usealy rot out the fule lines and so the cars gettign starved and wont start, try it.

Welcome to owning a 240sx

steering column can be done in like 2 hours. and you can’t just change the ign. I suppose you could if you wanted to drill out the bolts because they are sheer bolts meaning they break the heads off at the factory.,.

I have 2-3 columns lying around here in kitchener

a 240 is like an RX7, not for lazy people or people not willing to learn.

Therefore, learn or get rid of the fcuking thing.

Simple.

the screwed part about nissans is that NOTHING small brakes, like the lights in the dash, nothing small. and the fact that all the bolts in it are resonable, unlike ford who has a different sized tourques for every freaking bolt… beut we wont get into that, so yea nissans always brake somthing big, so open up ur trunk pull up the carpet and there will be a port to ur gas tank, crack open the pannel and it will exspose u to the fule pump houseing, nissans usealy rot out the fule lines and so the cars gettign starved and wont start, try it.[/quote]

try that all cars brake lines are a bitch…they all rot…expecially the top of the sending unit…i worked in a rad/gas shop for 2 years…brake lines and fuel lines are always rotting

gunna move this to technical since im needing to know how to remvoe the ignition.

Oooooooh yeaaaaaaah. :oops:

just a thought it worked on my other cars, when that happened…where the key won’t turn. i hopped around in the car, letting the hand brake off, let it roll a bit and wiggle the steering wheel at the same time and tr yto turn the key all at once. see if it works…