2001 grand am question

A coworker of mine has an 01 grand am. She was telling me about this thing it does, like a security thing, where it wont start, then to “reset” it, you have to turn the key to the on position, wait for 10 minutes, shut off, then do that two more times. the whole time there is a security light that blinks. She said she doesnt know what causes it (like say if the wheel is locked when you try to start, or something like that). Is there any way to disable that? It has to be pretty annoying when you stop for gas in the morning, that happens, then you have to sit at the gas station for a half hour to reset it.

Thanks!

no,she needs a new int switch,coman problem

she said they had it at a dealership for a week and they said there wasnt anything wrong, that it was some security feature on the car. It doesnt do it all the time, just very randomly, but very annoying. So its actually something wrong?

Listen to Brian… He knows more than most crappy dealerships…

I know, I just wanted to make sure I was reading his typos correctly, LOL

I think Whitey has the Pewter translator loaded on the front page. It will help if you load it on your machine. It’s kind of cool looking too. It has TowMater on it.

Just kidding. They really bought Pewter a special keyboard to be able to perform that neat trick.

:kiss: <-- Pewter

its funny cause I was reading through the thread about grammer on the internet, and usually a huge pet peeve of mine is bad spelling (not typo’s because we all do that)…but then I see Pewters and his doesnt bother me. Even though I dont know him, I know he just cant spell.

PS: Thanks Pewter.

Any idea on what this costs and where she could take it.

It actually sounds like a passlock problem. has she ever has either a radio, remote start, or alarm put in? or potentially the former owner? the ignition wires run alongside the radio, as well as the passlock wires…

The “reset” you are talking about is how you would take the passlock out of “tamper” mode… basically means that it thinks someone was trying to hotwire the car. A more thorough explanation should be in the owner’s manual. (it’s called passlock II… mid 90’s cars run off of Passlock I)

But it definetly sounds like the passlock is acting up. When it is engaged it shuts off the fuel pump.

x2, and its tripping the passlock.

:rofl::rofl:

X4, seen it before…

pm me the last 8 #'s of her vin & i’ll price it for her! they use to cost around $100 to $120 + labor,i can install it!

i will ask her tomorrow. thanks for your help!