2001 Maxima SE Headlight Issue

I’ve looked around on a few forums for anyone who has had the same problem and I’ve found a couple…but none with answers. My drivers side headlight doesn’t work on low-beam (but High-beam/DRL works) I’ve switched the bulbs and the modules and everything stays on the Drivers side. Passenger side works fine. Anybody else with an A33 Maxima that has had the same problem?

I’m hoping there is something else I can do before having to let a mechanic rip it apart and rip my wallet out of my pocket.

does it ever work at all?? I had the same problem with my 05 altima on the driver side. Some days it would would work then other days it wouldnt. It’s worked fine for the last 2 months though. But i tried switching bulbs and everything too, and nothing seemed to work

I’m just going on a whim here but I’d check to see if your connectors are in good shape, and that all wiring is working. But this seems to be a problem for newer vehicles (One very boring day, a buddy and me figured out that 23% of all cars we saw that day had a burnt out DTRL and we only were counting cars produced after 2000).

Nope unfortunately the light never works (in my parking space underground every time i turn the lights on I hope and wish it would come on but I’m always left disapointed lol)

I had an issue with the backlight on my Odometer not working which I was hoping hinted to something related (cuz I had one of the cluster lights on a 240 I had stay illuminated when my Brakelight on the hatch was out due to blown fuse)

On the connector to the bulb a buddy and I popped the cap off where all the soldered connections are and everything looked just fine. The FSM hinted to several ground fault locations…but I haven’t had the time to do further testing. We also had a test light on the connectors, but according to the manual the ground switches depending on whether it’s the high or low beam. The issue came about probably a month or 2 into the cold months. I’m curious if my extended warranty would cover it at the dealership but my trust for those types is pretty low right now.

Just for follow up. After a freaking long time, I’ve finally found and fixed my light. I thought I did a pretty good diagnosis and narrowed it to the switch (what I thought was due to a faulty ground connection in the switch) okay so $110 later for a new switch, it’s in and $%&^* didn’t do the trick. Anyhow, I went back to the wiring diagram and after realizing a pretty stupid mistake (tested wrong wires) I went back and tested the wire from the switch to the DTRL module and from the module to the headlight and yea, I guess those DTRL Modules are a hot seller at the dealerships. New part is in and lucky the guy gave me a deal and only had to spend $220 on the module and not $265. So yea, if anyone is having similar problems, do some continuity checks on the wires to make sure they’re not the problem and check that friggin DTRL module. Anyhow, that’s my experience, I hope it can help anyone else avoid diagnostic fees at shop rates.

Just so I have this straight. The new switch didn’t solve the problem but a new DTRL module did? I have the exact same problem with my 2000 that I just purchased in December. Funny it started acting up just when the real cold weather hit too. I’ve read on a couple other forums that the DTRL module is the problem but at least one other person replaced the switch with good results. Guess I’ll see what part is cheaper and start there. Thanks j240

For laughs I stopped at a wrecking yard on my way to the airport to fly to Mexico and sure enough they had a 2000 Maxima on the lot. Two minutes with a flat head screwdriver and $20 later I had my new to me DTRM. A week later when I got home, threw it in and voila! Both headlights working perfectly. Thanks boys for saving me a pile of dough. God bless the web!

My Maximahas one headlight that seems to aim down at the ground, also it seems to have a fog in it. does anyone have an idea that doesn’t include paying 900 bucks to replace an entire headlight assembly?