Headlight problem

k soo i start my car (300ZX) and my DRL (daytime running lights) which run off the same bulb as my high beams , turn on although sometimes, the passenger side light will just go off, and the driver’s side will light up, to a high beam intensity, if i pull the high beams on, then passenger side lights up, but once i release, then only the drivers side is lit up. And then randomly the passenger DRL will turn back on and the drivers side will dim back from a high beam intensity to a normal DRL intensity.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it??? :idea:

cmon no one has n e solution… NOOOOO this is annoying the piss out of me :evil:

Could be signs of them about to die.

I have the same problem with the NX. One light goes out (headlights), i tap the highbeams, and they both stay on again. Weird.

try replacing the bulbs if they are almost burnt out they can do some funny things.

An easy thing to try is to swap your 9005’s left to right and see if the problem follows the bulb or stays with the wiring harness. If it stays with the harness I would say maybe a relay failure or intermittent wiring fault. Otherwise you’ll know its the bulb and its a cheap test.

…Dan

no no, i know it’s not the bulb, because that’s what i thought too, so i bought new bulbs , and they are awesome, but then it did the same thing, like completely random too :evil: :evil: :evil: it’s driving me nuts, and it’s gonna be a pain in the ass to chase down all the wiring for it

i think it’s my relay switch, i’m gonna find someone else with a z32 and switch with them, and see if it is, cuz it would make sense, the randomness of it :? i’ll keep it posted cuz if it’s not my relay i have no idea what it could be

i have a 96 240sx with kind of the same problem. my passenger side lights are alot dimmer than my drivers side when the DTM restricts the voltage to 7V. When i flip the switch on to full 12V at night, then the bulbs light up the same. When i asked Mills Nissan about it they thought it was the daytime module which makes sense to me so i will probably be replacing it soon. I’ll let you know if that solves my problem. In regards to your car, maybe one of the relays going to the passenger side light is in a worse state than mine causing the voltage to fluxuate to your lights. Or maybe you are getting a short through the passanger side wire causing all of the power to go to the drivers side light temporarily causing the brighter light. Just throwing out ideas let me know if you figure it out

Check your DRL Control box maybe solder joints are broken, happens a lot to Acura’s

i talked to another guy about it and he said that i could’ve been the relays just like you suggested “canadians14”
my buddy has a 300 and he’s working on it in the garage right now, so i took his relay :stuck_out_tongue: now i just need some time to go see if it works, and see if that’s what the problem was…ill keep everyone posted
and thankz again everyone :smiley:

just an update on my situation: i have the same kind of problem as both 2high and SRburg, when the DTM limits the voltage to 7V on the high beams durnign the daytime i have one headlight that is alot dimmer than the other but it is still on. When i turn on the low beams at night then the problem is gone. I took it to the Nissan dealership and they said that the DTM is at fault. So i order a new one for around 180 bucks which is ridiculously expensive but i hope will at least fix the problem. Two minutes later the new module is in and the problem is not fixed. I am goign to take the module back tomorrow and get a refund since i have in writing their diagnosis of my problem :slight_smile: only good thing is the problem will hopefully be able to be solved by something simpler and cheap like a loose wire. If anyone has encountered this DTM problem please post what went wrong and how you fixed it Thanks.

i phoned ericksen and they told me that it was the DTM (day time module) and it’s not working properly, but i dont belive that is the problem. There is enough power getting to the lights because when the problem arrises, the driver DRL becomes a high beam, so the power that would be going to the passenger DRL(7V) is being re-routed to the drivers DRL making it a high beam (14V),therefore, the lights are getting enough power, but it’s being re-routed somwhere
i think it’s a loose connection somwehre, i’ve ripped apart all of my fuses in the whole car, checked all the relays, but not the wiring…if anyone has any ideas that would be great :smiley:

double post sry :evil:

Had this EXACT problem on my NX.

I replaced the DTM twice, before tracing the problem to a faulty headlight switch in the steering colum stalk.

The bad switch was causing “noise” because of the poor connection and messed up the DTM.

I replaced both without anymore problems.

well i took my whole dash apart, and started screwing with shit, and i finally have the insurance on, and i was driving around today with my DRLs and they were fine, and i was flashign my high beams and ended up having no problem at all…i donno, but i’m happy it works now :smiley:

k soo i start my car (300ZX) and my DRL (daytime running lights) which run off the same bulb as my high beams , turn on although sometimes, the passenger side light will just go off, and the driver’s side will light up, to a high beam intensity, if i pull the high beams on, then passenger side lights up, but once i release, then only the drivers side is lit up. And then randomly the passenger DRL will turn back on and the drivers side will dim back from a high beam intensity to a normal DRL intensity.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it??? :idea:

cmon no one has n e solution… NOOOOO this is annoying the piss out of me :evil:

Could be signs of them about to die.

I have the same problem with the NX. One light goes out (headlights), i tap the highbeams, and they both stay on again. Weird.

try replacing the bulbs if they are almost burnt out they can do some funny things.

An easy thing to try is to swap your 9005’s left to right and see if the problem follows the bulb or stays with the wiring harness. If it stays with the harness I would say maybe a relay failure or intermittent wiring fault. Otherwise you’ll know its the bulb and its a cheap test.

…Dan