2004 Grand Cherokee steering problem

Not even sure if this would be the right forum, but…

My wife and I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we are having a steering problem with. Here’s the lowdown:

When driving at low speeds, it is VERY difficult to turn to the left. I mean, it takes a great deal of effort at times to turn that direction. It seems to turn to the right just fine, regardless of speed, but to the left—forget it.

For those of you who may be well versed in the ways of Jeep/Chrysler, does this sound like a bad steering gear box? The steering system on this thing is fairly simple, so I can’t see anything else being the problem. Is there a way to check it out to see what it is other than the problem I am having?

Any help would be appreciated. I’m trying to do this “on the cheap” so I would like to figure it out myself if I can.

Thanks

belt ,p/s pump or p/s box ,not colum

Steering Dampener/Stabilizer (Shock) bent or gone bad.

Bent or worn track bar (common at around 80K miles).

I bent mine hitting debris.
Turning was different/difficult, and front tires cupped before I figured out they were bent.

i was told by a very good mechanic i worked with… i had this problem with my 97 grand am when it gets cold.

he said its the rack and pinion he said there is no way to fix it besides replacing it i only get it for like the first 2 minutes on very cold mornings. and once again hard to the left easy to the right.

That’s what I was going to say. Doesn’t sound like a pump problem since it still turns easily to the right.

I’d take the steering shock off and turn it just for the heck of it. If it doesnt make a difference and the fluid is full and not foamed, then its pretty much the box.

I took it to a trusted mechanic to get it inspected and he said it is the steering box.

Apparently Jeep had a problem with this on certain 2004 models to the point that they recalled a certain number of them. However, guess whose Jeep isn’t covered under the recall…

Good news is I can get away with fixing it for under $200 if I do it myself.

I’m going to check the steering shock though just in case. That may be cheaper that having to get a steering box.