2005 Lotus Elise

I think it’s about time I put a build thread together for my car since I’ve had it over a year now and I’ve done quite a bit to it.

It’s a 2005 Lotus Elise that I picked up in Atlanta, GA last February. It had 40,000 miles, bald tires and a smashed windshield. Driving it home 14 hours was painful but probably one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had…

I spent last year getting used to the car and just giving the things that it really needed. New windshield, new tires, wiper blade, etc. Besides top end, it’s the quickest accelerating car I’ve ever owned. Stock it could do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds and the VVTI (Toyota’s VTEC) kick was pretty fun. It also handles better than anything I’ve ever driven, which is the main reason I bought the car. It still seemed like it could use more power though, so I put a supercharger kit on it last week. That’s probably all I’ll do to it this year besides maybe some plastidip or a vinyl wrap. I’m thinking it will get wheels, suspension & a new paint job next year.

The car totally rips now with the supercharger. It finally feels like the racecar it was supposed to be. And the exhaust makes it sound like a sport bike. 0-60 is right around 4 seconds, if that. I have about 260bhp in a <2000lb car. The crappy part is that the clutch is slipping in higher gears now.

Mod List: (updated 5/12/13)
Katana2 Supercharger kit (Eaton MP62/Greddy manifold & pulley)
ACT HDSS Clutch
ARP Flywheel bolts
ARP Pressure plate bolts
Radium Clam Removal kit
Lotus/TRD Cup Airbox w/ K&N panel filter
Vision Function RSR exhaust
Larini Decat Pipe
Rear panel delete
Powerflex Front & Rear motor mount inserts
QWKcans - Dual oil catch cans
Lidbone - fancy hood prop
Cup holder
Rubber floor mats
Suede Headliner
Suede door inserts
Black emblems
Debadged rear
Removed camber shims
White start button LED
NuKey key fob
Flipped tail lights
Shaved license plate plinth
JVC KD-R330 headunit
JBL 5.25" rear speakers
JBL 4" front speakers
Painted HVAC
Painted center console
Painted Rear Panel
Painted rear diffuser

Here are some pics of the progress so far.

The day I picked it up:

Watkins Glen Opening Day 2012 with Baker. I can’t decide whether I like the black or silver wheels better, but I love Plastidip:

Removed the rear clam for the first time a month ago, I’ve done it 3 or 4 times since:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i153/drewstermalloy/null_zps98da8192.jpg

Reupholstered my hardtop headliner and door inserts with microfiber suede. Also painted my center console and HVAC bezel black:

Front & rear Powerflex engine mount inserts:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i153/drewstermalloy/null_zps53acc3e6.jpg

The day I installed the supercharger:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i153/drewstermalloy/null_zps517a75a0.jpg

Lotus/TRD Cup Airbox:

Nice work

I’ve been in Nate’s, it’s a race car that he can drive on the street. I love these cars.

Very cool, these are fun cars

I’m curious as to what you have into it for the supercharger and all the fab vs. a Honda k series swap

A k24 frank (~270 hp NA) lotus Elise would be a freaking riot!

I like that color on them, looks classy. I think they wheels would look good if you got a super glossy black instead of the plastidip.

very cool. I’d love to have one of these in the future. looking forward to future progress. :tup:

Car looks great, Drew…maybe one day we will finally get together with them both!

Nice build!

What did you do to reupholster your liner? What adhesive…3M 90? Link for info…? I’m looking to redo a few things.

Supercharger kit was $3700, exhaust and supporting mods were another ~$2000. I’ve messed around with the idea of a K-swap but I think it would add up to much more than I have into it right now. On top of that, I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off and still have a reliable car to drive.

Better hurry haha. Prices are going up! :slight_smile:

Definitely. I want a ride in the Espirit :slight_smile:

Loctite water resistant spray adhesive & some suede I found at Jo-Ann Fabrics. All in all it only cost me like $30-40.

How much was the car if you dont mind me asking? Ive always wanted one of these.

The one time I drove one of these, it was a total blast.

Speak for the fab work maybe, but not the motor.

$25k-ish

Well yeah, the only time I’ve swapped a motor it was on a bike. I just didn’t really want to learn how to do something like that on this car haha.

thats not too bad !:tup:

Innovative makes mounts, they’re around $500 iirc. Shifter box would probably be your biggest pain to figure out. Im sure someone makes axles. a k series engine makes so much more power, and will be so much more reliable than a celica motor. Complete jdm LSD swaps go for ~$3000.

I’ve looked into this, as I loved driving newmans lotus, but it was missing the extra power that a k swap would provide

Meaning- not what i would have done, but as long a youre happy with it, thats all that matters. The car looks good though man!

A simple “K-swap” wont give it that EXTRA power, it would need some sort of power adder on top.

Updated original post with mod list.

I can easily drive it hard without the clutch slipping. It only really slips in 4th, 5th & 6th gear. I’m used to downshifting to pass people, now it just happens a lot faster. I might put off buying the clutch, but I’m putting an ACT HDSS in when I get one.

I/H/E/Kpro puts 200 to the wheels
Add in cams and you’re looking at 250+ to the wheels
Some nutjobs have full blown 2.4L motors with ITBs putting out over 300 whp, NA.

I like the color combo of this car; red seats :tup:

Thanks! Here’s a better pic with the painted interior pieces. Made a huge difference.