2010 AE86

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyotas-return-of-the-ae86-courtesy-of-best-car/331487/full/

I think I would actually buy it

Within days of announcing Toyota’s formation of a “Committee to create interesting cars,” this summer’s Best Car Plus magazine reveals that the long-rumoured new AE86 type car has indeed been spawned by the group and should be in showrooms in the winter of 2008. The new article goes into some detail of the new car’s spec. Under 4m long and 1.7m wide, it’s pretty low at 1.35m tall, and engineers have been directed to keep weight below 1,000kgs. Power will come from a 1.5L 2NZ-FE good for 120 horsepower. What has been unknown until this time is where Toyota would source a cheap RWD drivetrain, but Best Car has learned that it will come from new partner Fuji Heavy Industries - better known to you and me as Subaru.
And the best news of all? The committee’s final directive is to keep the new car’s sticker price below 1.5million Yen. That’s about $12,300 USD in today’s money.
[Source: Best Car]

i’ll buy one tomorrow if they make it

[quote=“ultradriver10000,post:2,topic:33285"”]

i’ll buy one tomorrow if they make it

[/quote]

x2 Better be RWD :tup:

I like it, but why not call it something different?

looks pretty good :tup:

That’s slick as hell.

please please please give one a panda paint job.

Solid!

Under 2200 lbs is a very good thing to hear these days with all cars getting so bloated and overweight.

[quote=“Supraman,post:7,topic:33285"”]

please please please give one a panda paint job.

[/quote]

I’d totally buy one.

WTF? 10 ft long by 5 ft wide? reminds me of that 2 door Speck on the commercial a few years ago.

Have you ever seen the original?

Also it needs pop-up headlights!

[quote=“Pass McGrass,post:4,topic:33285"”]

I like it, but why not call it something different?

[/quote]

I doubt they’ll keep the same name, but I like keepin it original.

I’m good with it keeping the name just because they are staying true to the roots by keeping it around the same power to weight ratio. It won’t differ much specification-wise (weight and power at least) it seems.

sign me up

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:13,topic:33285"”]

I’m good with it keeping the name just because they are staying true to the roots by keeping it around the same power to weight ratio. It won’t differ much specification-wise (weight and power at least) it seems.

[/quote]

totally agree

hot

id rock it

i’d be for gettin one as well…

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:13,topic:33285"”]

It won’t differ much specification-wise (weight and power at least) it seems.

[/quote]

But why not AE87 or something similar to that? Had they kept making them throughout all these years, then obviously the name should stay. But it’s just not the same car.

From Wiki

For the purpose of brevity, the insider-chassis code of “AE86” is used to describe the whole range. In classic Toyota code, the “A” represents the engine that came in the car (the 4A) and the E86 represents the 6th revision of the fifth generation (E80 series) of the E model which is the Corolla.

Yeha, but for marketing purposes, AE86 will sell so much better. Retro sells these days.

See FJ Cruiser.

It’s not like the AE86 was such a hit when it first came out :gotme:

And it didn’t really help the GTO :slight_smile: