2012 Ecoboost F150?

Are these a good trucks? I think I remember @ultradriver10000 saying he had issues but I can’t remember. It’s not for me, someone just asked me off-the-cuff and I thought I’d ask you guys. 45k miles on it.

@piratemosh666

I have a 2013 with 45k miles and have had no problems at all. So far have just done oil changes and tire rotations.

They tend to be good trucks over-all. We see very few problems with them, but turbo failures are becoming more and more common on some of the higher mileage trucks. I’ve seen no evidence where I work of them having as many trans. issues as I’ve read of guys bitching about online. That’s not to say that it doesn’t happen. The earlier trucks had TSBs for MIL with multiple codes, missfire, hesitation under load, etc., etc. Some had issues with intercooler condensation. . . but, again, these aren’t major issues to me and would not sway me away from buying one myself. If I was in the market for a truck, it would be an F-150 with a 3.5L Ecoboost.

When the turbos fail, do you need to rebuild the engine due to maybe the bearings in the turbos causing metal to get into the engine?

The Ecoboost is great when it runs right. They are totally hit or miss, google “ecoboost condensation issues”. Also Fords 6 speed auto sucks huge cocks. If you beat on it at all don’t expect it to last, my 2012 went through 3 transmissions before bursting into flames and committing suicide. If the turbos really fail, you can blow the engine. Ford changed the turbos in 2013 along with the intercooler, so if anything i’d look for a 2013+.

My 2014 5.0 was a lot more consistent, but slower.

The insides are really nice, but I’d buy something else. Dodge or Chevy is way better in my opinion. In our old fleet of 50 F150’s from 2009+ we replaced lots of transmissions, a few engines as well.

I’d still take a chance on one that was '14 or newer. I like turbos though and I’ve been impressed with the ones that I have driven, even the new 2.7L. I’ll say this and be done, as my opinions are based on only what I hear and is anecdotal at best…4 out of the 8 techs at my shop would rather have a 5.0L and 3 of the guys I work with drive just that. One just bought a real nice used '13 with a 5.0L, one a brand new '15 with a 5.0L and the other drives an '11 with a 5.0L. My old man has a '13 Lariat with the 6.2L and loves it.

From what I’ve seen on f-150 forums most issues are condensation in intercooler and plugs need to be changed/re-gaped often. I also have not read anything bad about the transmissions all though i’m sure if your constantly doing WOT down shifts no transmission will last. Have him buy a Factory Ford Extended Warranty if he’s worried.

I have the 5.0 and really like the truck. My only complaints are the retarded way to soon up-shifts and the trq doesn’t come on till upper rpm’s. I tow a 36 foot camper and it pulls fine but with the lack of low end trq its always screaming. Eco-boost wouldn’t have that issue since it has a much better trq curve.

Thanks guys for all the input! He ended up buying it. I’ve forwarded your advice :tup:

Sweet. I’m sure he’ll be fine with it. Tell him to get an extended service plan and just drive it and don’t go by the recommended OCI of 10k…which is just flat retarded. Do 5k or sooner depending on usage. The turbo failures that I mentioned previously were due to lack of maintenance and most likely going by that stupid long OCI.

@piratemosh666

have you seen any of the 5.0’s come in with a tick/knock and have to have the short block replaced?

No sir. If they had, it would’ve come across my desk to order.

The only thing I’ve seen like that was a couple of trucks that came through that needed VCT Solenoids and seals to go with them. And that was a highly localized event. The 5.0L has been dead nuts reliable. It’s too bad they don’t want to offer up more than 380 Ft. Lbs. with the 5.0L. . .

To me the F150 is fairly useless unless you want a car that looks like a truck, but I’m retarded and use my trucks as trucks.

My RAM 2500 has taking the same abuse and has held up thus far, so did my Silverado I got rid of at 180K.

I also couldn’t get decent fuel economy out of my F-150s. My 5.0 did way better then my ecoboost. 5.0 i could do 18mpg while the eco had hell getting 16.5.

All i know is i smoked the shit outta @ultradriver10000 and getting better mpgs than artizap Dave.

#becauseracetruck

Yup, that’s why I’d get a Cheby