f150 ecoboost torture test

Not to be a ford humper or anything, but this is awesome. 150,000 miles on a dyno, then they use it in the real world. They tow it’s maximum capacity at WOT for 24 hours…
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

I want my SC 4.4l diesel damn it !!

They just tore this engine down at the Detroit show. This was one of the most comprehensive beat-downs I’ve ever seen of a production mill. Dyno-ran for 150K, then run in a log skidder, then a race car transporter taxi, then the Baja 1000. Impressive.

This is pretty normal testing standards as far as GM goes. I would assume this is normal for Ford as well.

Nevermind: didn’t see the above post before this was posted

It was laughable how much quicker it was with a trailer. I know my brother loved the torque in my truck while he was hauling John’s BMW to Maryland…

That trailer test is kind of crazy. Though, I wish they could have compared them with the same axle ratio of they are offered in the chevy/dodge.

Think I saw some numbers of like mid 14’s for a 1/4 mile time, which seems respectable for a full sized stock truck.

especially since it is the middle of the row engine.

3.5 eco boost ***
and the new powerstroke

edit: there are mumblings that the SC version of the 5.0 in the car I posted from AU might make its way over here but I doubt we will get their rendition of it.

If they wanted a real world stress test, they should have just given it to me for about 6 months. I have a tendency to destroy vehicles…

im impressed with the new truck lineup id really like one of those ecoboosts. also they’re cheaper than the 5.0 and the 6.2 and get better mpg

other than straight up neglecting a vehicle on maintenance or doing neutral drops I don’t see what you could possible do to it to run it harder than they did in the videos. Especially in a week. Are you going to press the gas pedal really really extra hard or something to break it? These engines have proven themselves well in the taurus so far I think they will do well in the trucks.

I thought the ratios were close enough to not matter really. I believe 1 was higher and the other, lower.

Nothing anyone could do would be worse than what they put the motor through (other than intentional abuse). The rest of the truck, OTOH, could have been abused, but that is not what the videos were about.

yeah i want one…

Also kinda curious why since they torture tested at the baja, why they don’t offer the ecoboost as an option to bring the price of Raptor down?

Can’t wait to see the tear down. That was a really cool bunch of videos. I still find it hard to believe that it pulled bus lengths on the Ram and Silverado trucks so easily. Is it really that much of a torque monster? Either way, fucking awesome.

hey why is this in off topic, can’t get much more on topic than this lol.

Anyway, look how low it peaks at horsepower and torque, …ford has been winning me over lately. Maybe this will get GM to start coming up with high hp and torque powerplants. Seems like all the new motors except for the V8’s are a step backwards power wise.

365HP @ 5000rpm and 411@2500rpm and you can run it with regular fuel. Lots of cool videos there.

FORD has been doing some cool stuff when it comes to advertising, and its cool that they show you this… However, I don’t see how a week or even a month on a dyno can simulate 150,000 miles. They didn’t put 150,000 miles on it, or the associated number of heat cycles the average user would do over 10+ years. It never got wet, never sat for a week then was cold started in -20 temps and slammed to WOT… Theres just no good way to really make this engine perform as if it has been installed in a working truck for 150,000 miles. And then they act like thats a lot of miles for an engine. The engineers behind the controls at the dyno probably aren’t double starting it, cold starting it then clamping it WOT, over or under filling the oil, spraying it with water while running, etc… All of these things can and do happen. Plus, the real big deal about a car with 150,000 miles on it is the fact that its generally 10-15 years old, not a month. And they act like the engine lasting 150,000 miles under ‘abuse’ is proof enough… I would NEVER expect a stock engine to have any real major mechanical issues with 150K on it. Lots of engines last 2-3 times that, and still run just fine.

That said, this looks like a solid engine for a good truck, and they certainly do know how to market it.

Did you watch the video? I’ll just say no, you didn’t.

How many gas motors have you personally driven with 300k on them that ran fine? lol. I’m not saying they’re not out there, but I’ve never seen one. Most cars are scrapped with 200k on them. The motors aren’t usually the reason a car is junked… usually everything else around it. That is why people go to junkyards for motors.

I thought they deep freeze it then go WOT a bunch of times.

Anyway I’m sure they do all sorts of low oil, no coolant blah blah blah tests before they actually green light a project to production…however i don’t think you ever see that used in marketing material…Look we ran the ecoboost low on oil, put oil in, and it still is fine! because that would have every retard out there bringing trucks in for a warranty claim after they ran it out of oil. “but the commercial said”.

That’s why, today’s motors, I don’t think you have to baby anything anymore, its the stuff attached to them that takes the beating. They are the direct link between right foot and power, then they send it to everything else.

You really should watch the video. lol

I’m just curious whats going to happen when this motor gets in the hands of some people who tune.

I have a feeling were going to be seeing alot of twin turbo fords running 11’s.

The dyno portion of the testing is pretty normal for all manufactures. I would be interested in seeing their Dyno Files/cycles they have the engine running. I know here at CAT we have pretty harsh cycles and some pretty easy ones also. Nothing like running a diesel at Peak Torque for 24 hours straight or at a constant RPM like the generator sets do for thier whole life.