240sx winters and you

Throttle control, learn it well. And drive within the limits of your tire’s traction. You’ll know you’ve overstepped them if you plow into somebody’s ass.

B-Wurm :smiley:

how is winter driving with a 2way? id assume easier than an open diff correct? ill get stuck less often?

what bout winters with a welded diff ?

anyone here still alive to tell their story?

yea same with me I worried about my new paint job getn chewed up from the inside out but it sure is fun to drift in the snow :slight_smile:

the only way not to crash in the winter with a rwd car is to take EVERY corner sideways. just control the car with the throttle. always drive fast. if you’re not fishtailing you’re not going fast enough. if you’re approaching a car way too quickly, you might as well spin 1080 degrees into the oncoming lane and go out with style.

no, but in all seriousness, driving like a granny isn’t going to do you any good, you just become an additional hazard for all the other drivers.

i recommend : good winter tires + weight at the back for traction. drive a reasonable speed and within a reasonable distance from other cars.

wooo finally something smart… yeah NEW or almost new WINTER TIRES is the only thing u shuld be driving with in winter… u can run allseasons in the back if u want to drift… :stuck_out_tongue: but yeah u shuld add more weight inback as well bcuz most likely u will fishtail more often when going straight.

in the end its fun. just remember to get good tires in front… u dont want cheap stupidity understeer due to the tires. i learned enough mistakes -___-

id say most importantly is your driving skill. I drove with crap all seasons for the 1st time last year…but i have years of karting to back me up…there were some close calls…biggest thing…give yourself a big cussion while behind other cars…it was said before 240’s lock up too easy in the snow and you risk locking up and rear ending some one. If you take the entry of a corner too fast off the throttle…you will understeer right into what ever…too hard on the gas or not smooth clutching while turning ur back end will come out. take it east n slide when no ones around. Just take it easy…its really fun and tempting to slide.

BTW adding too much weight to the rear is a bad thing when cornering…when you slide that weight will further force the rear end to slide out further with its momentum. Its harder to straiten out a slide with weight.

yeah but not everybody here is pro driftAr/racecardriver

and about adding weight to the back: the point is for initial traction and to keep your car planted to the ground…

i just threw the spare wheel + 2 extra 7-spokes in the back of my car for winter and it was fine.

^^^^^^^^^with that being said…if u do plan on sliding here and there showing off you dont want to be weighted down with sandbags or w/e you use. If you plan on driving normally and depseratly not trying to slide weighted is the way to go since yes that will keep it planted…if u break traction in the rear its all about working with the gas pedal…dont let off suddenly…it acts as engine braking and locks/slows your rear tires as if u lightly used the E brake and you’ll go right around before u know it…and obviously countersteering the slide at the same time. Winter tires being the most important thing…day and night diffrence.

Meh, some of you guys worry too much. Drive a mr2 with all seasons in the winter and everything else will seem simple after that.

hey tyler it might be worse because it will get sideways more with your kazz. buy my winters and you will be fine

VLSD and winter tires FTW!

seriously, it’s easier leaving the intersection with both wheels spinning than just one. with michelin X-ice it isn’t bad at all. what i’d recommend if you have alot of ice covered roads are studdable tires, like Nokians.

just don’t stomp on the gass when your tryign to accelerate if u drive smoothly your fine… i ONLY drive rwd cars i have a serious hate on for fwd … and it’s not a big deal real winter tires, don’t be an ass unless you are trying… and your all good, i’ve never had any sort of problem… this year my winter car is turbo so it’ll be even more awesome haha… but yeah s13 brakes lock ez in snow… so watch out for that too…

also it’s ice that gets u more than snow… so watch for that

this is going to be the first winter w/ RWD for me too
and need to find a set of snow tires for my 240…

ne suggestions???

if the car is turbo you’ve probably spent a bit of cash on it and i really wouldnt drive it in the winter if i were you. Not only will it rust faster, with the lack of experience you say you have theres a good chance you’ll crash the car. Buy a beater if anything.

TOYO observe GO2

TOYO observe GO2[/quote]

x2 - i rocked those all winter and loved them.

except i managed to poke a hole in my sidewall in one of them rendering it useless.

Goodyear ultra grip ice are really good plus they are directional

thanks for the responses guys…cant believe my thread went so big :smiley:

one question though, if i purchase a car without LSD, how expensive (parts + labour) would it be to install an LSD from the 91+ models?

150-200 for the punkin itself…and a few hours of your time to swap it yourself…its pretty strait forward provided you dont strip any bolts/nuts. A lot of guys on here could do it for you for the right price.