(Super Noob Question) Sr in the winter?

Would driving a turboed sr in the winter be a poor choice for the cars saftey and its engine health? Im scared that too much power = death. My auto sohc 240 was a bit scary in the snow - I dont know how a sr would be.

I will be getting my next 240sx soon and Im thinking about one with a sr installed already. Unfortunatley I would have to drive it in the winter time nor do I have a garage to park it in.

Would it be a stupid idea? I know it will rust and thats not a big deal. Im using the car mainly to get me from point a to b for college and for a fun car to work on and enjoy. I will be living at home, so its like my present for myself. I really enjoyed my first 240- but it was auto, I learnt stick and I am now ready to get another one. I figure I can spend the same amount why not go big?

Ive never done much research with turbos’ still learning about cars really, but isnt possible to adjust the boost so its nonexistant? Is it possible to disable it in the winter. I know Im a noob - meh w/e. I’ve heard talk of boost controllers so…

Flame all you want - gotta learn somehow.

Oh yeah, turboed cars are harder on gas right?

of course its fine. if its a stock sr. get some good snow tires and ur good. Ur auto stock would only be kinda scary in the snow because it is an open diff and u never know if both wheels are going to spin when ur taking a corner.

Personally i prefer a 240 in the snow compared to, my moms new yorker, my old buick regle, and a civic. mind u a 240 was the first car i ever bought and the first one i drove in winter. I found it was awesome! but i had awesome snows

SR + VLSD + toyo observes G02 = winter time bliss…

make sure you accustom yourself to the car in a quiet parking lot for a while before you get too comfortable.

i love winter driving. but like they said, as long as you have a good meaty winter tire and some weight in the back and you will be fine. i put some blizzak’s all around, and left my subs in the trunk and 4 sand bag’s. 1 on either side on the sub box near the strut towers, and 2 along the very back on the trunk. this helped keep the box in place while drifting in that quiet parking lot!! some ppl like to use bags of water softener salt, i don’t b/c if any of that salt gets to your metal, it’s gone!!!

have fun!

I suggest not using extra weight, it’ll change the beautiful balance of the car, and increase the momentum effect when ish gets out of control.

I never needed extra weight and I live on a hill with a stop sign/T intersection that always had ice next to the stop sign.

Good winter tires, and just accept that your traction on accel will be less than great.

Also, I loved working HICAS in the winter.

I can understand putting weight into a 2wd pick up where the weight balance of the vehicle is 70/30, but an S13 is like 55/45 area depending on coupe/hatch and other variences.

don’t have hicas but i would like to drive one that does, just to see what it would be like.

the added weight does change the balance of the car, but you can easliy get use to it. i made it two winters with no accidents and i love to drift in the snow. i don’t know if it snows there like it snows here, but we get ALOT of snow. some days i get hung up just driving on the road!! it gets pretty crazy here, the snow patrol doesn’t do a very good job of clearing the streets! the weight is much needed here!

a good set of tires will get you around for sure. i don’t have rims so i don’t run kumo or koyo or anything like that. i worked in a tire shop and found that blizzak’s work awsome for winter and firestone fire hawk’s for the summer. very grippy summer tire and works awsome in the rain. but i don’t have 200 hp either!!!

Adding weight will give you snap oversteer, have fun with that

winter driving is awesome…

ditto snowboard240sx…

my first times driving in the snow was with my old s13 pignose… and it was great. this winter that just passed by, i picked up an s14 and didn’t have winter’s all season long, cause the ones i happened to have got a hole in them. regardless, winter driving is the best time to get used to your rwd machine, and work up on your driving skills.

my buddy did the same, had s14 sr with no winter tires…

not a smart idea, i know, but hey, some people got less funds than others, just gotta work with what you got and make the best out of it.

as long as you stay out of boost on the really snowy days, you should be fine.

and in my experience, good year eagle ultra grip winter tires are awesome in the snow/ice.

cheers

you guys need a real fun winter car, can beat me legacy with winters and center locking vlsd rear vlsd. it actually goes where you want it to go.

a 91+ 240sx with a VLSD and good winters is pure heaven.

I am actually looking forward to picking up another one for winter-pigging.

you’ll learn alot this winter if you stay safe.

No extra weight required in my experience.

Dan (u2ndyno) drove his 400whp S14 through a winter a year or two ago.

couldn’t said it better myself bing.

i have an 89 coupe, with bridgestone blizzak’s, i got hte car 2 years ago. i went the first winter with an open diff and winter tires, it wasn’t too bad, but you get the occasional tire spin, as one tire will just start to spin and you can’t do much and you would have to feather the throattle or punch it just to get it to start to move with both wheels.

however, the next winter, i swapped out the open diff with vlsd from a 91+, holy shit, talk about night and day, didn’t get stuck, didn’t fish tail as much due to the one wheel spin, and it felt as if it wasn’t even winter when i was driving at times.

cliff notes:
-> 89 coupe for 2 years
-> 1 winter, with open diff, and blizzak tires, had a bit of trouble in winter
-> 2 winter, with vlsd and blizzak tires, drove as if winter didn’t exist.

Woo

Great sounds good. Yeah I had an open diff and I swear I had Blizzaks too. It wasn’t bad but on snowy highways or ice, the back end always wanted out.
You could slowly feel it creeping it out. But yeah, I always had a blast with it when I wanted to.

Anyways can someone answer my other questions.

-You can adjust a turbo with a boost controller right?
-Are turbos harder on gas?

Thanks for your patience.

i dunno about setting your boost that low its basically like having your wastegate open to exhaust instead of turbo, i would rather just stay outta boost. And yea turbos are harder on gas, but in the case of the sr vs the stock KA they are better on gas because its 2.0L as long as you don’t go around redline’n it everyday.

Thanks guys

stay out of boost and itll be like any other car. be safe dude

Don’t worry, I’m headed to a first year of driving in snow with my 89’ 240…
I’ll see how that turns out.

Right now I got Falcon ZE-912 all season tires, but definitely gonna put back the Dunlop Graspic DS-1’s when winter arrives :slight_smile:

think of it this way, it might be scary @ first but you’ll eventually learn how to use the throttle, braking, and steering more discretely.

Besides, I can’t wait to slide and drift in the snow, Woot! lol :smiley:

the snow is definatly awesome!!

i always thought that turbo’s were good on gas. they put them into alot of cars not only for the extra power. the vw golf isn’t that fast with a turbo!

i’mgoing to try and find a diff b4 winter hits so i can have some more traction, and hopefully more fun!!

hmm, by the way is a Limited Slip Diff
essential for drifting or as long as you
got rear wheel drive, your good?

you can still drift with a stock diff, but it’s allot easier with a vlsd. instead of one tire spinning, both do…

winter drifting it really doesn’t matter, but you wont have much traction with only the one wheel spinning. i find that when you start to spin, put it into 2nd and let the rpm’s come down, don’t just rev the piss outa it, u will move.

wet pavement you can drift on pretty easy without a vlsd
never tried dry pavement, my ka24e probably couldn’t keep the tires spinning long enough to drift!!! a few more ponies and a vlsd and i should be able to!!

do like everyone says tho, find a place where there isn’t much you can hit, and no one around. practice your drifting on all 3, snow/ice, rain, dry. your car will handle and drift different on all 3.

i have never driven with a vlsd so i don’t know what it’s like(" it’s like night and day" so I’m told) if it’s that different i can’t wait to get one b/c it’s gonna be allot more fun!!!

the car feels like a soggy bag of dog shit without it.

I drove my 89 for maybe 3 weeks in the winter before I was desperatly begging for hoist time to install my VLSD.

Open diff I found too unpredictable and scary to have fun with.