Winter driving a 240's smart or stupied?

Hey,
So im thinking of winter driving my s13, ive never winter driven any of my 240’s before. But times seem a bit rough to build my coupe and have another DD for winter. SO i was pondering if i should do both DD the s13 and build it over the winter. As of now i have a repaired frame rail done by CanAligment Scott and i just noticed a whole in the driver side wheel well about a dime size… also a bit of surface rust here and there obv i will rust proof just wondering how bad these already problem areas could get? and any suggestions on where to get rust proofing and other effective products or services i could look into to make this a better winter with the s13.

So any input is always good, should i even bother to do this or just bus my ass for the whole winter or i worry to much and should just drive the damn thing?

u just need winter tires, and ur cars good, and get it rust proofed

Yea man, drive it. Get it rust proofed at Krown, GOOD winter tires are key, and have fun.

dont do it the road salt will get in little areas,cracks,gaps etc,. and it will rust no matter how much undercoating you have

^^^He’s right man,that shit will F#ck your car up to the point where all you’ll want to do is beat it to the ground,for some reason these cars are really suseptable to road salt.
By the end of the winter it will be even worse than before.
Man,good 240s are getting harder to find and if you end up driving this one,there will be one less available in the future!
I’m NOT being over cautious it WILL rot and that is that!!
Buy a shitty little civic

well that what i was thinking but unlike the other 240’s i had ive been trackin this one all year and what not so it already sorta gettin beaten on dont you think?

and the money i spend on gettin a shyt box and putting it on the road with insurance and all taht jazz i could spend on a motor swap for next year lol haha?

You guys dont winter drive the one who say not too?

Over all it’s your call,BUT you may regret it though,if it has been takin’ the abuse on the track it must be stong still"meaning the chassis"so it’s still a good car.But once that rust sets in your work will be dubbled or even trippled man.Rust proofing doesn’t really help older cars
I have a 93 coupe I was gonna drive this winter but after thinking about it I decided it would be wiser to keep it in the shop and do the necessary work,for two reasons.1.after more salt gets at it,it may not be worth fixing and 2.I don’t want to kill a 240 on purpose.But I have a “winter” car to drive though.
Just trying to help

ive had 5 240s one was winter driven only a couple years the frame had holes and the strut tower litterally fell apart then i drove one the brake lines gotten eaten apart and frame issues then never winter drove one had no problems not to mention all the winter tires i`ve had to buy

Irfan.

I say this coming from experience winter driving a 240 with a welded diff and shitty winter tires.

Do it.
Fuck, I’m even winter driving my 180 this year.

Undercoat it, get some winters and you’ll be fine. Give it a quick car wash once a week to get majority of the salt off and you’ll be fine.

My red 240 had flat red paint (no clear coat makes the body condition more prone to corrosion), had NO rust other than on the rocker about 4" (which was there BEFORE the winter I drove it) and was overall clean. The rust did not grow as fast due to the rocker guard I sprayed it with. I didn’t even undercoat the car and it was still rust free after the winter. I just washed it once a week.

In all honesty our cars were meant to be driven. If you’ve got say a crazy suspension setup, it’s stupid low and have baller tires on it than I’d defiantly argue against winter driving it, but currently other than coilovers which are coming off in a month for stocks, my suspension is OEM.

As far as RWD goes for the winter, well…you drift. Rather than avoiding it you’ll embrace it and go out on winter drift nights, I can guarantee it. I’m keeping my welded diff in like my red car as well.

ALSO:

In regards to everyone saying this and that happens after they’ve winter driven…
Let me ask you this; Was the car mint before you winter drove it? I highly doubt it.

Even in the nice non salted summer months the rust will continue to grow and corrode everything in it’s path.
There’s no possible way you can have an entire strut tower break apart after one winter of driving and say your car was mint before that. I’m sorry but it’s just not possible…there HAD to have been rust previously.

Alot of the time money is the issue. Why do you think I’m driving my car in the winter? I can’t afford to buy and throw another vehicle on my insurance.

^^^

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!

nah but foreal that why im considering it my car is completly stock besides coils…and those are going to come off if i do winter drive…

ive now heard Krown is a good place to get proofed, from trev and bog? anyone else wana recommend that place or another?

and for the point about my hole what do you guys think? fix it after winter or before? this may be a one winter thing for my car cause it stock now…

kollo knows

dont do it the road salt will get in little areas,cracks,gaps etc,. and it will rust no matter how much undercoating you have

you’ll learn if you care for your car what happens when you drive your 240sx in snow/salt

Then there’s your answer :wink:

EDIT: Fix it now or later, whatever fits your budget honestly. If your going to do it later, lace it with tons of rocker guard and undercoating to hold it over until Spring.

You realize though, even the open metal underneath our cars rust during summer months as well right?

Not to mention Irf drifts…meaning when he goes off track he’ll scrape something and expose open metal. When you undercoat your vehicle it hides that open metal and PROTECTS it from salt, water, humidity…everything. Why do you think undercoating places like Krown have been able to stay in business? Because it ACTUALLY works.

I’m leaving my D2 coils in and just raising the car a bit and selling em for 300 bucks after the winter. Gonna go spray the whole underside with rocker guard and then go do some rust proofing after that. Find some winter tires and then have fun. I’m gonna do some winter track days at cyuga as well.

I’m keeping my civic and 240 on my insurance. I’ll drive the Civic when I can’t be bothered to drive the 240. I really like my Civic as well so it’s all good. Got winters with wheels for that thing too.

Point is, dude. Drive the damn thing and have fun. Leave the coils in too!

I’m only taking mine out because I’m selling them and picking up a brand new set of coils come Spring time.

Ronnie, you’re making a lot of good points today. haha. Driving that ceeeeevic got you in a good mood. haha.

Should I rust proof KA-Kathy just for kicks? duck tape some holes lmao… oh jeezzz.

Fair enough,but it would be a better idea to fix ot before the winter,that way nothing can get down into the places that aren’t protected.
I’m just tired of having to search for a SOLID to 240.
But DO NOT spray over top of rust.
The dumb ass I bought my coupe from did this very thing and guess what there were treats under the SOLID LOOKING strut towers and frame rails.

Irf, Krown is top of the line stuff. I took my first S13 there, It was the same before and after winter. As martino said, just wash it once a week. Take it those car wash places where you pull in and use the hose/pressure spray. Hose lines at home freeze. :confused:

Winter driving the coupe this year as well, anyone have experience driving the winter w/o the fender liners? any diff?

Yea but hes not looking to sell his car. I said that only because he’ll know where the rust is and to slow down its corrosion process over the winter.

PUT THEM IN! Lol. That’s all that needs to be said.
I can put money down that if you don’t your wipers will stop working along with your spray nozzles. Snow/salt will also get into your engine bay MUCH easier.