Drive the car in the winter?

Ok so in about a month i sould be ready to rock and roll with the car… just in time for winter…

You think i could get away driving the thing in winter with out much harm done?? i know quit a few people here drive there cars in the winter… curious to knowwhat kindof extra matenice they do … i also might pick up a winter beater but… it really depends…

Your Lexus is fairly newer. i’d say get a rust treatment done and I think you’ll be perfectly fine in the winter.

Also, your IS300 isn’t some super rare car that are hard to find. You’d be stupid not to drive it in the winter.

car is also lowerd 2 inches… and is boosted …

You live in Amherst. You won’t see much snow that the lowering will affect you much. And with the boost, you’ve got a boost guage, watch it and use some throttle control. It’s easy.

Or just dial back the boost.

I got stuck out in 4 inches of snow in the MR2 yesterday morning. It was fine. I had no problem getting around. And that was with summer tires. Sure, I couldn’t go 55mph, but that was because of the tires

Basically, if you can’t watch the boost pressure and have a steady accurate foot enough to be able to get around with a boosted car in the snow, you don’t deserve to be modding a car period.

no i live in North Buffalo :slight_smile:

If you keep it garaged, and only drive it to work and such, you should be fine. My Z was through 8 WNY winters before I got it. The previous owner garaged it and washed it, etc… It has a little rust on the quarters just starting, and some underneath on the floor boards, but not too bad considering.

Same difference…

Point is, you aren’t driving on rural roads with a foot of snow on them every other day where you need to worry about ground clearance and forging a path down the road.

Don’t you have adjustable coilovers? Raise it 1 inch above stock ride height, oh wait, that might require work.

How much boost do you make @ 1/4 throttle? If you drive like a dumbass it doesn’t matter if you make 1000 whp or 85 whp.

no i have spring/shock combo.

if you love the car, get a winter beater. you might think that you can wash it and all will be fine, but in reality its the salt getting into all of the body seams, bolt threads, and so on that really make a mess of a car down the road. The exterior body always looks great, but once you see in on the body, the rest of the car is trashed. Really, the winter beater is the best 500 bucks you can spend if you love your car.

for the millionth time

get rustop at schmidt’s

even nickthemix supports the shit :tup:

i ran my t-bird for 2 winters up there after having it done… and won’t have any issues selling it down south here. looks beautiful underneath. just get rustop done, adam - and you won’t have anything to worry about.

If you care AT ALL about your car, then this is a no brainer. Salt gets EVERYWHERE. Rust undercoating may help just your undercoated area, but nothing beyond that.

+1 buy a really cheap rwd winter beater like I did :headbang:

ok, well i just had my first problem with my car being lowered in winter, i have a 90 eclispe gsx lowered 1.5 inches. i was driving around friday taking pictures of the aftermath. with my car low though, the snow was stuck in my front grill. i have a line running in front of my radiator to cool my power steering. the snow got stuck in the grill and wasn’t letting any air through, so my power steering over heated and it blew the gasket at the pulley. and it is still leaking, so if you have anything in front that needs to be cooled like this i would just make sure it isn’t being blocked by snow.

yea i have my fmic and my power steering coolant line…

Just get the right tires and you’ll have no issues. If you stay in the lower rpms you won’t really be making any power, and as long as you have the winter tires to put the power to the ground you’ll be fine. Think about how many IS300s there are running around all year?!

X…

due routine oil changes, 3K mi or less, epsecially if you routinely drive 15-20 minutes turning it on and off. check your oil often and make sure to check the engine bay once in awhile for signs of wear and check all connections in it.

good snow tires and a bag or two of rocks(for ass traction) in the trunk

Word

Studded snows
Just wash the car once a week with a good underbody spray and you should be good.

lol whats salt/snow?

adam it’s still 74 degrees outside we just came back from the beach/fishing. So basically just move, and your problem is solved lol

why would you store it, it’s 70 degrees outside and sunny. i think i actually got a little more tan today while detailing my bike :smiley: