300zx Brake Diagnostic/ideas

I got a chance to head out to Tmp this weekend for the drift/grip event that was hosted by driftnation 8) i had an awsome time, but i noticed my car wasn’t quite setup for sliding…going to the track was a great experience i definatly got a chance to see exactly how well my car was set up… I literally had no clue on the street… so i was hoping i could post here and get some feedback on how to possibly set up my car and resolve/deal with some issue’s i’m having.

Problems i encountered:

1. having z32 breaks + hawp hp’s upfront seemed to be a big problem for me, my fronts would lock up way to easily, and not allow me to slide the back out under braking… going rear z brakes is a HUGE financial drain since i have an s13 and that would mean going 5 lug + rims + tires

2. MASSIVE understeering :? , i believe this was mainly due to the fact that my front tires were garbage, any suggestions for tires in the front … looking for a 205/50/15 or 55/15… i was thinking about Kuhmo spt’s

thanks guys 8)
-Ped

you didnt upgrade to a 300zx master cylinder did you?

if you dont tha fronts would lock up easily.

hmm, understeer eh;

you could put

• sweet tires (and/or) rims sized for what you want to accomplish
  • any # of suspension upgrades,
  • more brakes (rear) to overpower the rest of a stock(?) car
  • or sweet tires.

You get what you pay for when it comes to tires. I never personally liked the khumo’s much, I much prefered Proxies. pilot-sports, g-forceKD,

Even just slap a pair of nice tires on the front to compliment the brakes (like KD’s) and that will help substantially

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Jedi_Car_Fan/Other/100_0347.jpg

mmmm, g-force KD’s, 275/40/17 255/45/17 :wink:

Both problems would be solved with tires. They are probably locking up because there is no traction.

Grippy front tires are one of the most important things for your drift setup.

Find a nice pair of really sticky tires that have a large contact patch, and you will be set up nicely to notice what you need to do next (suspension, control arms, diff, seat etc).

Theo

About having good tires in front, I have 225/50R16 Hankook R-S2 in front and they are the highest street tire they sell (200-AA-A), it’s almost a track tire, anyways, with stock S13 brakes, I can lock them up without trying that hard, but I;m afraid that when I install my 300ZX brakes that they will lock up in a second (I will be installing the master cylinder, all the parts are on my bedroom floor)

sorry for jacking the thread, but everything that I’ve heard would suggest that 300ZX front with no MC = super lockup.

thanks for the repley guys

s13gg/theo23, -better tires are definatly going on the car, :smiley: here’s what i was thinking of, i put the pricing at the end of each tire comparison :?:
-i’m also currently running megan coils :twisted:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5080/tirechartgh0.jpg

logic23: this is what i collected from my research about the brake bias with z32 brakes

15/16 MC
This came off of either a automatic 240sx or a Z31 non turbo. This is the best set up if you plan on running Z32 front brakes with stock rear brakes. The bias is close to stock and the feel is perfect,

1" MC
This came off of a 300ZX. It is bigger than a 15/16", so this is better for a full brake conversion (front and rear Z32).

17/16 MC
This is also off of a Z32, and it is the biggest master cylinder you can get. It will give you an even firmer pedal feel.

or you can read it all here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Nissan_240SX_Performance_Modification/Brakes#Master_Cylinder_Upgrade

personally, i plan to go the 15/16 route and see how close it feels to a stock bias…hopefully better tires + a different mc should fix this problem

-Ped

look further into the MBC.

Its my understanding that the Nabco versions used different line flares and will not be directly compatible whereas the tokico MBC from Z32 do have the correct flare

not true. i have z32 rear brake conversion with ebrake and it hardly broke the bank. and i am still running the stock 7 spoke rims.

really? give me a price breakdown then:

-z32 rear brakes
-5 lug swap
-rims and tires

i don’t see how i can do this cheaper than 1k

He said he is still running the stock rims, as in he still has 4 lug.

how ? everyone i’ve talked to, and all the pictures i have seen made me believe if u kept your 4 lug rears, then you wouldn’t be able to use the e-brake since the z brakes use a drum assumbly

you can use the e-brake with z-brakes you have to by a special piece that will make it work…Sorry i dont have all the info on that but it can be done.

The nabco Z32 mc does have a different fitting in one hole you can go to your local canadian tire and pick up a fitting that will fit on the brake line and into the mc. We have done this before.

The 5 lug is worth it for several reasons. The z32 brakes are amazing in performance, and you can find more and a better selection of rims for them. Bing has some 5 lug hubs for sale go to his website and check the price.

Hope this helped…

Race Ready also has a group buy in their section on this very forum.

nope, all the 4 lug, and 5 lug stuff are just hubs.

if you look at tha e brake assembly the middle is empty, thats where tha hub goes. u can either choose 4 lug or 5, if you choose 4 lug then u gotta redrill the rotor. all in all its pretty simple.