300zx Project

I have my 300zx TT back with no motor in it. I don’t even own a motor to work from with it.

I had built the car up pretty good before I sold it to Woody with the VG30DETT so I have traveled that road and know it all too well.

I am in no rush to have the car back together so I am toying with a few ideas and maybe some insanity that will never make the car alive again.

I have the reputation for being a automotive project starter and never taking it to completion, I am impatient, and I hate it when things do not come together as I had originally intended. ( So I am probably answering my own question without this thread.)

But I am bored and curious what everyone thinks.

My Thoughts:

Mildly modded VG30dett platform (Easiest to make work as it is the stock platform)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lS7lCwA-fg

LS1 (Kits are available but its a pain in the ass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaNBxgid5Xw

RB26DET (Kits are available but its a pain in the ass)

I like them all…They will all cost 7-10k to accomplish.

I have no time frame for this.

Slap stock engine back in, drive it this year, upgrade next winter.

IMO.

(Also coming from a fellow king of “OMG I CANT FINISH ANY CARS THAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT”)

I would but I dont have a “good” stock engine to put in there.

I would assume they are fairly easy to come by?

If your impatient, throw a VQ in it and a lager turbo kit of some sort and make decent power, easy install and you’ll be able to enjoy your work more quickly.

Edit: mike you beat me to it.

theres deff more room in the bay with the last 2 options…ha
how do the stock motors respond to mods?

JDM’s are easy to come by but meh on quality for the most part.

USDM’s are harder to come by but have a better reputation.

Stock motor is fantastic but as I experienced my first go around…buying 2 of everything is a pain in the ass and it gets expensive pretty quick.

i would go with a platform other than a VG, you have been there done that

in all the videos i have seen these cars respond AMAZING with LS1’s

and idk how much power you are looking to make but it costs a lot more to make the VG faster than the LS1

just do the vg and build it up with headers and cams or whatever right off the start. or just running it as is for the summer and then mod it next year.

LS1 by far is the greatest bang for the buck…just dont know how I feel about the additional work to get it done.

is this what you did with your z?

Thats the problem with these silly cars…mods are all reliant on other mods…so you kinda of do it all at once or you dont do it. Putting turbos on with the engine is is a huge PITA…and I would not do stock turbos if I stayed VG so it has to all be done up front…no point in running stock fuel/cooling on upgraded turbos…

NA LS1 will always be more reliable than a vg30dett or rb as well

rb is the ultimate sex engine tho

with the LS1 do u have to move the firewall back and shit?

look at how much power people are making with just headswaps and a cam, full exhaust and tune on a LS1

turbo is a PITA and everything has to be upgraded

ahh ok well id do some other nissan motor if it was me. possibly a vq. im not up to date on 300zx stuff tho. but doing up a vg again would be cool.

what added work is needed with the ls1 swap kit besides the obvious cutting of the stock mounts, new mounts, wiring and rearend work?

kit cost?

I have heard yes and no so I would have to do further investigation.

I think the kit is between 1500 and 2500 depending on how in depth you get.

If there is no motor in it, is it technically just a 300zx. Not a TT?

FWIW, I voted “It doesn’t matter, you won’t get it done anyways.”

And :lol: at considering the JDM VG.

Has everyone forgotten the greatest automotive fail in the history of NYS? No, not Skunk, but… of course andy- 300zxjdm or whatever his name is.