New to nissan, have some questions

well, I’ll start by saying, I’ve never owned a nissan, but i have had a ton of Honda’s and VW’s.

I want to buy a 300zx (mostly for my father) but I can’t decide between a north american version or a JDM. The driving position can be annoying, but besides that is there anything special I should know before making a decession?

The JDM one’s are a lot cheaper, and in general have less mileage.
What do you guys think?
are parts hard to find for a JDM 300zx?
would the dealer be able to order the parts in for me, or do i have to get them from a speciality store?
My mechanic has openly told me to find a good nissan mechanic if i get the 300zx, anyone you guys suggest?
Thank you in advance for all the feedback

Sorry forgot to mention

im looking at NON-turbo

i dont know much about 300s, but whatever you do dont buuy the non turbo because without the twin turbo that car is pretty much uselss no honestly
really tottaly useless no fun at all

If you’re looking at 300s and dont know much. Talk to popcorn on the forums. He has one of the sickest 300s i’ve ever seen. He also knows plenty about them.

As for importing i’d go with Oni-JDM. Even though i never bought anything from them, i’ve conversed through email with them when i was considering buying one of their s13s. They always offer good advice and i’ve heard nothing but good thngs from them. Of course, this testimony is worth nothing when people who’ve bought vehicles from them tell you their experience.

Personally i think your dad would appreciate an s13 more (YEA!). We need some older s13 drivers to fix the s13 demographics to take some heat off us.

thanks for the response guys…
its his dream car, and he HATES turbo

used to rally with old fiats that had turbo’s… that where all his hate stems from.

I had a 1.8T golf and was like… “see nothing wrong with it”

3 months later my turbo failed… go figure…

Welcome to the forums. Good choice on the 300.
There is really nothing special to look for when getting a JDM 300 vs. a USDM or CDM 300. Besides the regular, Driving position and ECU, the main things beyond the regular 300 Updates to look for were:

Eary 90’s CDM (Canadian Domestic Market) got the notorious Headlight Nipples. They were washers for the headlights on the 300s and only available in Canada.

JDM 300s were also available in 2+2 Twin Turbo and was not offered anywhere else.

USDM cars until 94/95 had the seatbelt post and seatbelt retractor on the door where the CDM and JDM cars had it on the pillar and the frame of the car. USDM cars later got the CDM styled seatbelts for safety reasons.

Parts are not hard to find at all. Just costly. The dealer can order parts for you if you provide the part number. Otherwise, if you ask them to look it up for you they’re useless, and always want a VIN number.
99jspecZ32 owns a JDM 300 and works at a dealership. I believe he hates Nissan but loves his car, but I’m not too sure about that.

Your mechanic is one of the most honest mechanics I’ve ever heard of. He is right though, you don’t let an average Joe Mechanic work on the Z32 because of how it’s layed out, and can be extremely intimidating even to the experienced mechanic. DO NOT let your Nissan Dealership work on these cars. Trust me on that one. From what I understand, the main person to go to in Ontario for work on your 300 is Vuk at AMS in Mississauga. He is always swamped, but knows EVERYTHING about the 300. I’ve never personally met him or had him to work on my car, but he specializes in 300, and makes a set of different parts just for the 300.
http://www.asmzstore.com

jschwaren has his JDM 2+2 TwinTurbo there right now for some extreme work and from what I’ve been hearing Vuk is a great person, has a very clean shop and is very organized, but is extremely swamped with work.

ERRRR incorrect. The NA 300 is plenty faster than the stock S13 and S14. Ask Vlad (dubv), ask Bez (Bez)
Plus, your insurance is a lot cheaper than the TwinTurbo version.

Not to mention the looks, and the feeling of driving a car that’s commonly looked at as a supercar is enough to say an NA Z is not shit at all.

I Daily Drove my 300 when it was NA for a year, but the speed bug bit me and I ended up putting in a TwinTurbo motor.

Thanks Cal. Come tomorrow. Afternoon should be peak, cause it’s jumping up to 1degree.

^ Vuk is a stand up guy, and he definitely knows his way around the z32.

^How many 300zx’s have you driven?
How much HP do you require for a car to labeled not “totally useless”?

OP, great choice. And its a great thing your doing for your pops.
My pops lived in germany with my mother for 6 years before moving to canada. He owned a fiat spyder and oldschool porshce. Last year, on fathers day I handed him the keys to my 350z. He loved every minute of it and said how much it reminded him of his porsche.
He also peeled away chirping 2nd & 3rd… hes 72 y/o, hahahah!

pat what i meant by useless is the only thing i could truthfully use it on is drag racing and picking up chics now that to me seems a lil boring. lol Skyline is a supercar not a 300 its not even a wild car lol, BUT none of that matters when its the gentelmens favourite car ill im sAYiNg is Go ahead add a couple of twins ur dad will enjoy after e gets bored with driving in a strait linne especcialy an x rally enthusiat o ya if the 300 has cupholders thats another use for it lol just stating my opinion speed wise who cares that is stock faster the s13 s14 both oof those cars can be maade to go much faster then
a 300 because a 300 with 350hp and s13/14 with 350 hp same torque or any equal power will get raped due to a simple power to weight ratiodid i mention 300 not a supercar ok yes i did good and pat believe me im not seating here like ismo hating tottaly love your car and your a great guy but i just stated the facts lol

LMAO @ F&F fanbois & badgers…

The only skyline that was a supercar was the R34 GTR

In the 90’s, the 300’s were beating porsches, in every aspect…nuff said

Wow, shows you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Sure if you put a 1000 hp in any car it will be faster than a 350hp car, just like, If you put 350 horsepower in a car that’s 500lbs lighter than the car that already has 350hp, then it will be faster.
It’s simple physics man. What are you trying to convince me of because that’s a crappy way to try and convince.

And about it NOT being a supercar? I didn’t say it was, please reread my post. I’m saying that shitloads of magazines and websites refer to it as being a supercar. It’s won many awards as one of the best cars ever made, and also been stated as a pre-supercar by one in particular (I forgot). In fact, it’s had more reference to being a supercar than the Skyline ever has. I’ve never heard the Skyline being referred to as a supercar until the R35 was released. Even then, it wasn’t the Skyline that was a supercar, but the GTR that is.

– BTW, the 300 can handle a shitload better than your 240 there bud. NA or TT in STOCK FORM. The curvy track drivers chose the NA car to drive with because it had less body weight than the TT, and the steering rack was more responsive to input. Yes it did have a different rack an pinion to make up for the lack of HICAS like in the TT version.

And no. REAL SUPERCARS don’t have cup holders so I don’t see why the 300 would have one either. The driver dynamics of the car is built to aid in driving. The first TT 300s were offered from the factory with a MANDATORY driver training package to purchase the car. All major controls such as Heating was placed on the side of the gauge cluster, so the driver wouldn’t have to take his eyes off the road to adjust the temperature. Most were all digital. One button and it picks the rest for you so the driver doesn’t have to think while he’s whipping the car hard around a corner without losing traction.

LMAO @ F&F fanbois & badgers… i dont know what you tried to say here im a FOB.
Honestly as for beating porsches theres only very specific races that i would guess a 300 would beat a porshce(Mostly high speed tracks maybe like silverstone).Im a big racing fan so ive seen one really widebody 300 a blue one i forget what series though dammit. Could someone plz find what real races the 300 won . The r 33 and the 34 were undisputed supercar not even a question about it and the r32 plz dont argue with me on that otherwise your arguing with top auto journalists since early 90s
^How many 300zx’s have you driven?
How much HP do you require for a car to labeled not “totally useless”?
IM NOT THE ONLY DAME ONE CALLING IT USELESS IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POWER , but just to answer your question i would guess enough to move the car. CAN YOU DRIFT your z32 can you go on the track and compete i doubt it. Yay i found that blue 300 The Clayton Cunningham Racing 300ZX which won the 1994 24 Hours of Daytona. yes i know that car multimillion budget o ya it won by accident and as i remeber it didnt go on to perform at leman not even american w/e tired of typing

^wow, you fail at posting… I cant read that… HAHAHHA

[QUOTE=pcproa;50190]Wow, shows you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Sure if you put a 1000 hp in any car it will be faster than a 350hp car, just like, If you put 350 horsepower in a car that’s 500lbs lighter than the car that already has 350hp, then it will be faster.
It’s simple physics man. What are you trying to convince me of because that’s a crappy way to try and convince.

i really wasnt trying to say what you just said WHAT i meant and llets hope you get it this time you can keep sticking as much power its irrelative on how fast your precious z32 goes because 240s can be made faster due to phucken smple physics like you said

Congratulations. You made the hardest post to read ever.

Anyway, arguing with journalists??? Fine then, show me proof. I want websites and documentation. After all, the owness is always on the Plaintiff to prove his case.
You’re the Plaintiff, and I’m the Defendant.

Who else is calling them useless and why are you being a puppet for others? Why are you reciting what they’re saying without knowing the facts?

Yes, you can drift a 300. Ask Alex to show you youtube videos of this going on. I intend on doing some drifting in my 300 this season and I’ve already planned it out with Alex. Any way you look at it, the 300 was never designed for Drift, and neither was the R32 or R33. They were all designed for GRIP and people drift it because that’s the type of person that get those cars. Turns out more drifters end up in R platformed cars.

Multimillion budget has nothing to do with it. There are TONS of 300s in races that the 300 came out on top with. You say you’re into races, then you would’ve seen the numerous races that the 300 won in. BTW, anything in the 24 hours of daytona is a multimillion dollar budget. It was probably one of the cheaper budgets than all the other losers in those races.

that i tottaly agree on im freaking trying ill fix now

wow, your just lost…

Absolutely not, and what’s with the swearing?
When POWER TO WEIGHT ratio is exactly the same between both cars, then it comes down to drivers, gearing and traction. Equalize those factors and the NA 300 gearing is ideal for low end driving, short track with quick changes. The TT 300 is ideal for top end driving. Long distances between mild turns. Put a TwinTurbo motor in an NA platform and you have an all around car that WINS RACES. Either one can, but a hybrid 300 does it best.

AND AGAIN, I’m willing to prove this to everyone on the track this season

CMOON dude if the 300 soo great y arent they all over th track nd plz dont tell me it due to excluisvity i see the 300 as that fast pointless gto mitsubishi made and i coul bet tons of ppl would agree with me al lot of power looks pretty and at the same time a useless whale

how?

ok dude srry dont be upset im sure if you did all the work you did to ur baby and u did it on a 240 you’d understand.
O ya track that shall be intresting reminds me of a viper that was at shanonvile lol