350 or 383 sbc

why do you need to buy heads if you get good ones right off the bat. the iron oval ports will outflow almost ny small block heads. as long as they are nnot peanut port heads, any ironhead will flow great.

thats what i was thinking…the stock heads must flow decent enough…but to get some serious power. i was lookin up some figures on big block heads and it does seem they flow a good amount. the exhaust ports could be cleaned up, but its not much work. larger valves and a mild port/bowl job on the heads and your gonna be making some great numbers.

i guess you dont need heads until you want to make some great power or trying to save weight and go aluminum

i hear what your saying and its a good. but if your going that route, why buy a crate motor that is assembled with forged expensive crank, but not forged pistons and rods? especially if you plan to change them out for a boosted motor. I’d look into having a custom blower bottom end made up or buy one from other companies that produce crate motors. you can get forged assemblies for 1800-2000 bucks or so…GM’s crank alone is 1100. good rods and pistons will net you nearly a grand or so. you could save money by using conventional 3.75inch strokes from other companies and still hold up to anything you could throw at it, for the most part

and i’m not sure if that 144 blower would make 700 hp on motor… i’d step up to the larger 177 blower (i think thats it) but even so i’m still thinking thats pushing it. a strong 383 will need around 12-15psi to make 700hp… not sure if that little blower is capable of driving that much boost