4 point harness Legal?

Hey guys

So I wanted to convert my 3 point stock seat belt to a 4 Point harness. Right now the steel for the seat belt is rotting away so in the event of a accident that would rip out of the frame and off i go.

I want to mount the harness in the floor with some heavy duty eyelets and 1/8’ inch sheet mettle behind it to add some strength to it. In reality It would be far safer.
However Ontario Laws aren’t based off whats safe. They are based on what makes the city and or province money. So my question is… If I do switch to a 4 point harness. Will it be legal? And if so where would I go to get prof that it is.

Thanks for the help.

Someone told me that wearing any harness on the street is illegal and claimed his friend received a $500 ticket for it. That’s all I’ve heard about the law but if you are mounting a harness use a harness bar.

you are allowed to put a harness in cause a 4 point is technically 4seat belts. its more safe. as long as u have a lap belt in any car its legal they cant say shit. other then wonder why the fuck u have a harness in ur car…and look for other “illegal mods” bwahaha ftp.

dont take my word on this but ive heard that if your wearing your stock seatbelt with the 4 point over it your legal. but that seems like a shitty solution.

The reasoning I was told is in case of emergency the 4 point takes longer unhook and if stuck longer to cut.That 4 point + oem seatbelt confuses that theory a bit.

on public roads, you can only use the OE (DOT) seatbelt that came with the car.
what you need to do is repair/replace whatever you need to make sure your seatbelt works.

wearing a 4 point harness doesn’t make it legal in any way while on public roads. it basically becomes just an accessory.

4 points are legal but dont run one without a cage.

With a three point belt if you roll the car your able to lay sideways (partly atleast), with a four point belt it will keep you up right and crush your spine.

You can run whatever the hell you want on top if you’re wearing your OEM 3 point seat belt, and it is attached in the exact way that the manufacturer intended.
If you’re not wearing your factory belt, or it is modified in some way, welcome to ticket city. Nothing except for the factory belt is legal.

that an a 4 point harness without buckets is a waste… they dont fit right… then say with a 4 point and buckets but no cage and you roll over… roof colapses and breaks your neck cause your body cant move like it would be able to with a stock 3 point seat belt…

and correct 4 point harnesses are legal… hada friends car go in for inspection witha cage buckets and harnesses no stock anything and it passed because it was all installed correctly

mind you they were nice harnesses not some reactive ones

Thanks for the clarification the guy who told me was sort of an idiot.

don’t aftermarket harness have an expire date? or is that just the hardcore shit

I was going to go bucket with the 4 point harness but I still wanted the use of my back seats. Just until I get money to get a good sports. Then I will convert this car into a full track car. For now it’s still my daily driver and next summer my daily and race car on the weekends. So I am just trying to do my best to merge both worlds for now. I know most people say that it’s “bull shit” but I don’t have an other car for the track so it will have to do.

I guess what the general consensus is. Is to go bucket but don’t switch the harness until its off the road completely.

i had bucket seats last year.

the pain of getting in and out started to wear away at my ab muscles and im sure was on the verge of forming an ulcer lol.

its do able but its kind of a pain depending on the depth of the side bolstering.

i think this is something your better looking up somewhere else truthfully.

as far as oem belt under harness i think sounds about right. but i was almost certain NO aftermarket belt is legal. fire/police lalalala are not trained.
there is really no need for this application on a street car anyway.

I am pretty sure that you can wear whatever type of harness you like on the street…but it wont replace your stock seat belt…ever. you always have to wear the stock one or you will get a ticket. no matter how safe you think it is lol. they dont know how you put it in so. i kinda think its a good rule…

Yea 4 point is not legal, you need an oem seatbelt their all tested and inspected you cant just put a seatbelt that is aftermarket because how do they know if its safe or not and no they cant judge that by just looking at it you need a crash test…

This is also useful when looking into mounting points.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/soloracerdotcom_1691_61108

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/soloracerdotcom_1691_104231

Also, this all depends on type of harness.

For S13/S14 guys…the “D” position (without a cage) is I guess suitable…correct me if I’m wrong please.

I always figured that having the harness run straight back from the bucket would be best. This is my set up.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Cal-Soy/92%20Nissan%20240sx%20Ayu/DSCN1590.jpg

Legal to have in the car, not legal to use on the road. Get a fresh factory seatbelt setup and install an aftermarket DOT approved harness as well for use on the track if you need to.