490 days of drama.

No I’m not mad obviously you are… The truth hurts huh? And I’m far from a little kid… You are the one acting like a little narrow minded punk… Your a sad example as a mod with a attitude like you have.
And you have not proven me wrong at all. It’s you trash talking a kit that you have no knowledge of…
If your so smart and so knowledgeable on turbo kits for Audis. Then step up to the plate and lets see you put together a kit genius.

This has already been discussed…

Maybe some of us aren’t paying MSRP and taking your route. In fact, if you read my one post above, I’m helping a friend out who DIYed a kit tommorrow tune it. He runs 12s, stock motor internals, head, etc. We went over this, read the rest of the thread.

It may be easy, but I’m defending this kit for one reason. It’s simple: it’s reliable. The manifold design sucks, but everything else is decent. The software is perfect from every other MY across VW and Audi so I’m assuming he gets the same treatment for his kit. The car will run good times reliably, and it’s FREE. What is so simple to understand about a weekend project that costs nothing over a piecing together mission he doesn’t want to do?

i am far from mad
im not sure of this truth other than your car is slower than mine, you got a free turbo kit (thats cool) its msrp is way too high. hopefully when your friends put your kit that you have read so much about on your car you will be faster.

if i owned a pos audi, i would have a flange cut, and have a manifold welded up, with a matching dp and charge pipe. ooohhhh rocket surgery at its finest. the only thing worth its weight in salt out of the kit is the ecu reflash… other than that its over priced.

thats the truth

fin.

Obviously DIY is going to be cheaper. No liability, overall warranty (other then individual manufacturer part warranty), customer service, staff, R&D, employees, and office/storefront to pay for. I’m sure you know enough to know a business has costs, and that’s how they need to pay for these things…kit sales. It might not be WORTH 4500 dollars to you because you’re a DIY type of person and see only the value of the parts, but for the most reliable kit on the market it’s not too expensive simple as that.

Since you’re all about local businesses, maybe I should put it this way: Why should Hybrid charge 800 dollars for an exhaust? All it is, is a bunch of stainless piping with a few bends. Same concept.

(I’m not saying thats how much a Hybrid exhaust is, and I’m not comparing Hybrid quality to that of APR. Just saying as an analogy.)

I could sit here all night long and trash talk your SOHC Honda. But the fact of the matter is I’m not going to step down to your little immature name calling level of peoples cars. When they do’nt see eye to eye with you.
If I wanted a Honda I would have bought a Honda. Maybe you should go on a nation wide pilgrimage degrading every car company out there. And show the country how superior your brand loyalty is. Maybe you can find some idiots to agree with you…

Dude you have no idea how hard this made me laugh. Back in 2000 my good friend Nick bought that for his MKIII Jetta and we literally gave him shit about it for over a year. :rofl:

was I one of them :smiley: :hay:

:rofl:

lmao, i cant belive you guys are riping on a FREE turbo kit. God. Grow up.

Give him props for having a decent ride that is gonna be decently quick. Keeping an apealing look and smooth ride.

Instead of having a faster ride. but sacrificing EVREYTHING else.

:word:

I find it REALLY funny how someone who drives a low budget hatch has the nuts to say that Audi’s are pieces of shit. Audi has helped pioneer the luxury segment and set standards for quality and performance. Its almost a joke to compare a hatch to a A4 and modify one by the same standards. Whats even funnier is how one is promoting a back yard turbo kit versus a prepackaged and tested system from a reputable manufacturer. Not everyone gives a shit about saving a few dollars. From all my years under a car I have learned that convenience is worth its weight in gold. Pigs are perfectly happy rolling around in shit all day long… thats not the route I would like to take.

This thread is Unbelieveable. I cant even think of where to start…

signing out, i’m sure

zer0daze is funny, I like him

holy shit. well done.

when it comes down to it

his audi a4 when complete > any hatch…unless its a 10 sec one…with a full leather interior, all wheel drive and a perfect paint job

and to say hes not a diy’er.

i turn my chin to that.

seems to me hes putting his FMIC on by himself.

http://images14.fotki.com/v206/photos/2/213039/2602130/IMG_0288-vi.jpg

:gotme:

If I may make a suggestion. The top mounts for the IC are poor supports and not very sturdy. They will act more like hinges then mounts. You may actually stress the top passengers side IC hole riser and break it off. Run a piece of angle horizontally across the radiator from current mount rad bolt hole to rad bolt hole. Then drop a bracket down from the horizontal beam to the IC mounting points. Personally I would bend 2 small angle pieces into a V or tight U shape …weld those to the horizontal bracket… and drill a hole in the point of each V for the IC bolt… This war you control IC movement both up and down and side to side. Those things arent exactly light and you really dont want it coming loose after being pounded on because of Buffalos shit roads.

Gonna have to agree with LZ on this one. APR is no small operation, and they have proven reliable kits for audi, vw, and porsches. I am sure they put a good amount of time and research into the cast manifold. I think the dyno results speak for themselves on this one. Could it be made better? Yeah maybe but until you do it there is no reason to discount this manifold and kit. Banks uses cast iron manifolds on their SBC twin turbo kit and those kits turn out big, big power. There are advantages to using cast iron and inconel.

The most important part of the Stage III kit is the exhaust manifold. APR has spent enormous time and resources developing the turbo manifold. The exhaust manifold has been designed in Pro/Engineer 20, a 3-D modeling package and validated extensively on the computer using Exa Powerflow, a CFD analysis program. By performing a computational fluid dynamics analysis, we were able to study exhaust flow, pressure drops, and fluid flow through the exhaust manifold. Multiple computer simulations were done to prove the design before we even had a physical manifold in our hand.

Once the manifold was fully passed on the computer we had the exhaust manifold CAD file transferred to a rapid prototyping machine. A polycarbonate exhaust manifold was cast from the prototyping machine. With this plastic manifold we were able to mock everything up in the test vehicle before proceeding to the next process.

From the polycarbonate piece we were able to cast a metal piece for prototyping. The metal used for the prototype and the production manifold is Inconel 625. Inconel is a very high quality (yet expensive and difficult to machine) metal that is used extensively in the racing and aeronautical industry (Audi Sport sells an Inconel exhaust manifold for $10,000). Inconel has excellent heat retention characteristics that work to enhance turbo response by keeping exhaust velocities high. We guarantee that this manifold will never crack. Furthermore, the production manifold is cast using a lost-wax process versus a traditional sand-casting process. This process is more expensive but gives a much higher quality part with better tolerances, no parting lines, and a smoother surface finish (the internal surfaces feel like they have been Extrude Honed).

The exhaust manifold is mated to a Garrett turbocharger that replaces the stock Triple K K03 turbocharger. We chose to use a Garrett turbocharger in lieu of a Triple K unit for several reasons. First of all, the new Garrett GT-Series is a more efficient design than the old Triple K K-24 turbocharger used by one of our competitors (the K-24’s design dates back to the mid 70’s). The Garrett turbocharger we have selected is a 1990’s design. Also, Garrett turbochargers are available in a wider variety of configurations than the Triple K line, which allowed us to find a more exact match. The stock injectors are maxed out at power levels much over 220HP and consequently the fuel injectors have been replaced by larger units. Dialing in the injectors required many hours on the chassis dynamometer to achieve the proper fuel mixture throughout the entire rpm range.

The materials are great, but the difference in the length of the cyl 3 and cyl 1 runner is a bit drastic. An equal length would have been nice.

good lookin erik !!!

i just spent 25 minutes reading this thread…damn