4th gear

i have a jdm 4g63 motor and my 4th gear stays in for about 10 to 20 seconds then it pops out and my 5th gear does it once and awhile

Anyone know what it possibly could be? would appreciate the help

4g63 manuals came in ALOT of vehicles.

Try to be a little more specific.

what more specific do you need to know its in a plymouth laser i bought it from devioustsi about a month ago

the motor was out of a eclipse i believe

Check fluid level and report back.

x2

Deffinetly sounds like low oil/fluid in the trans like bill said…your 4th gear gets alot less oil than say your 1st-3rd. Its alot higher up thus getting least oil/fluid causing it to pop.

jumpin out of gear can be caused by a bunch of things… 4th gear is direct drive through the tranny which jumpin out of 4th is usually caused by misalignment of the tranny, did u recenty take it out? Well start there for first.

LOL

I guess im not the only Honda guy that is all too familiar with this issue lol

No matter what story you have mine is better about a low fluid journey LOL

^ o boy lol

me and itsgoindown are goin to change the fluid tonight and report back tomorrow

INDEED, i have herd this story and know EXACTLY what you are talking about LOL!:lol:

EDIT:

HUH??

i havent touch the tranny all i know is the guy before me did you im pretty he didnt mess it up but alright ill check the tranny fluid and let yous know

where’s pumice!?

sorry for the ot, I’m not usually a whore like that.

quoted for awesomeness.

GL, hope you fix the problem.

This in a DSM? I had this problem in 5th gear on my 97 GST. I changed the fluid and it was “better” but shortly after the whole transmission went. Hope thats not the case for you.

yeah it is and i was told it might be the tranny

#1 cause of transmission issues, lack of lube (incorrect fluid, ect ect)
#2 linkage out of adjustment (over-engaged: wearing syncros or not fully engaged wearing forks ect)
#3 stoopidity… abuse… neglect…

I had a DSM with this problem, one of the biggest causes I think is the aluminum shift forks which bend, on my car I tried adjusting the shifter cables and it did nothing, so its probably not the cables especially if it was fine just weeks ago.

Also, when people tell you to run GM synchromesh, remember than Synchromesh is basically ATF, which correlates to 5w-30 weight oil, and gear oil is much thicker: 75w-90 or 85w-90, point being dont put only synchromesh in your tranny, mix it