5/24/08 - OFFICIAL NYSpeed Spring BBQ @ Dunnville Autodrome

Innovative can get brake stuff, call Mike up.

Nope, just rock what you’ve got.

You should flush brake fluid once in a while for maintenance anyways… nnumbers vary but I like to shoot for ~30k miles (DDs). Assuming you’ve never done it, its can’t hurt, and its cheap.

I did it a month after I got the car, so it has been done, but to be safe I’ll use better fluid on the track.

Thanks for the help, I’m REALLY excited for this.

I recommend bleeding your brakes before every track event. I would do an entire flush ever couple years (when upgrading fluid obviously flush the whole system)

Use a good flare wrench because nothing is worse than missing a track day because you stripped a bolt.

god yes, good point. apporiate tool FTW.

You should be flushing completely every spring if you are doing track duty.

Ok, I’ll buy a bunch of fluid soon to make sure I have some on hand
I’ll also pick up a snap-on flare wrench if they make one, I’m assuming they do.

I’ll be doing it every spring then I guess :slight_smile:

Yea… besides, brake fluid is relatively cheap, especially considering its role.

I doubt my car has ever had any fluid more than 6 months old in it since I started tracking… but for most people every spring is a good idea.

if you go hard at it for extended periods of time id recommend changing your brake fluid, and tranny fluid each weekend you race (not for autox, im talking more like track enduro events where you log over 100miles).

I don’t think hes gonna go from never having driven a road course, to enduro racing this season.

:shrug:

:slight_smile:

I always bleed until the fluid looks nice a clean and new… I probably also bleed once a month in the summer so the fluid coming down the line can’t be that old.

haha good point… but i still bleed my brakes before every event, tranny fluid wiht every oil change

Please tell me more, I usually log 300+ miles on an enduro weekend and still only do the yearly flush. It’s not like the fluid in the resivor gets hot. Motor oil sees a bi-daily change. Never touch the tranny, but I usually end up having a half shaft out at some point so it does get changed.

Appreciate it, give me a call. Damn, we need to hang out more too :frowning:

Driver registration is full :tup:

To those who want to come just for the BBQ, remember to register and pay ASAP! Mike needs to know how many people he’s cooking for. Procrastinators suck :stuck_out_tongue:

honda racing recommends tranny flush after every race since the only thing that cleans the impurities is a magnet, whereas the regular oil is strained thru the filter to remove other impurities. for me its also peace of mind that any shavings or impurities will be removed, since the car would be running from about 7k-9k rpm for hours. personally i just like to change the brake fluid after a hard event. i sorta dont trust it for too long. when the fluid gets hot the chemical properties ie bonds of the solute particles dissolved in the fluid are slightly weakened. Also since brake fluid rapidly absorbs moisture from the air (thats why you should always use a fresh can of brake fluid when filling) the water that gets into your fluid lowers the boiling point by increasing to the solvent volume. bottom line is that if your brakes get hot enough, by breaking the bonds between molecules in the fluid, they never re-form as strongly to each other again, thus decreasing boiling point of the liquid.

^^
very true, but the only part that’s affected is in the caliper and maybe a few inches up the brake line.

Well my shift is changing at work so i’ll be able to swing this now woohoo! unfortunately im going to be to broke to afford track time more then likely but the day it self should be a lot of fun.

Willing to help prep and cook if im not going to be racing…

Voice your opinion on what we’re going to eat in this thread:

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47636