50cc bikes

So I may be getting an older Honda 50 for my kids in the next few weeks. It does not have a throttle limiter like the newer bikes though, and I would like to be able to limit how fast it goes with my 6 and 4 year old on it. Does anyone know of any aftermarket throttle limiters?

buy one from a different brand of bike or make one. insert a spacer of some sort in the carb to keep limit how far the slide will open. probably a piece of brass or pvc pipe will work. needs to slide over the cable but inside the spring. on my kids 50 i just loosened the cable for awhile.

hi

thanks

when I get it home, I will try the loosening of the cable first and see how that goes.

I kinda just want to teach then not to open the throttle all the way, but I also don’t want them wheeling the bike the first time and scaring them from doing it.

What’s the preferred way of teaching a kid how to ride a bike? I never had a bike or learned how to ride, so I have no idea. :frowning:

i always wanted one of these!

couldnt you also make a stopper inside the housing of the throttle cable? thats what i would try and do.

just don’t yell at him. my kids got 50’s 2 yrs ago. one was 5 the other was 6. i yelled at my youngest while trying to teach him to just go fast enough to balance. he fell over and refuses to ride it saying he wants a quad. my oldest is on a kx65 now.

you said it’s a honda 50, so it should be a 3spd autoclutch. just put it in first, and don’t let him shift it yet. that will restrict speed some.

depends on what it looks like inside the housing. if there is a place where a screw could contact it solid then yeah. something like our suzukis would be simple.

That may be the way to go, but I rode the thing already and can wheelie the damn thing without much effort with my 190lb ass on it. Imagine my 6 year old who weigh’s 60 lbs is going to do.

I definately do not want to scare them or make them not want to ride.

thanks for the info :love:

I’m sure every kid is different, but when I taught my cousin on his 50 he was five. Just walked him through the controls. Didn’t say anything about the shifter as far as second and third. Just told him about neutral to first. It was a newer 50 and it had a limiter so it was choked back. He wrecked the first day, cried, and was back on it the next day. I didn’t yell at him, ran beside the bike alot, shouted out commands, etc. We were also in an open field where there were no obstructions and he could take an acre to turn around if he wanted.

I figure that I did it right. He’s on a RM250 now and is a solid rider. I just taught him the same way as a bicycle…just more controls.

:bigthumb:

My kids are great on their pedal bikes. Both of them have over a year of riding in and have lots of control. Hell, they go mountain biking with me almost every weekend in the summer and go everywhere I go. They go thru creeks and shit at south park just fine.

I think the problem they are going to have is getting used to holding up more weight compared to the pedal bike and controllong the gas. I would not let them use coaster brakes when learning how to ride a pedal bike, they had to use the hand brakes. So hopefully that comes easy.