518 residents. Do you like where you live?

I’m expecting to see some very mixed views here.

If you don’t like it, then list the reasons on what’s still keeping you here as I’m sure there are plenty.

Through the years I’ve heard stories of people growing up here on in the general NE, living everywhere across the country and then coming back because they loved it too much here.

On the opposite side I’ve known plenty of people that have moved and never came back or regretted the move.

I’ve personally never been out of NE besides the mother land, but I’m quite satisfied with 518, NY and the cap region and don’t see myself moving any time soon.

Upstate NY FTW. Ideally I’d like to live in the Queensbury region, but I can be to Albany in 1hr35 min, NYC in 4, Boston in 4, and Montreal in 2.5. Anything west of the Capital region is garbage IMO (Syracuse, Watertown, Bing, Buff, etc). Lived in Texas for a bit, sucked despite what you may think…Lived in Tucson AZ for 6 years, made some great friends but it’s ugly as shit and far too hot for human life and far too close to the Mexican border.

Every time I hear that somebody has had experience living elsewhere in the country I make sure I get their opinion on how they liked it, how long they lived and why they moved.

I recently got into a discussion with a guy who’s EX ended up moving to Texas. He used to live there (and across the entire country) and told her that she won’t like it. Everything is run down, people are quite a bit different, it’s too hot, minority population etc. It doesn’t bother Texans because they are used to it just like we are used to snow here so they look past it.

She ended up nearly going crazy with all the thing that just seem abnormal to a NewEnglander and running back to Mass.

I knew you’d chime in supporting the 518. You’re probably most spoken supporter of the area especially having lived all over the place.

Ive lived in CT and the Boston area. I also do a lot of traveling. 518 is definitely different from CT. That’s for sure. CT is more like the NYC area, faster paced and rude lol. Im trying to move to SoCal sooner than later to make moves in my career. But we’ll see how that goes. I do like the 518 area so far. Clifton Park is pretty nice. Still figuring this place out though

Thanks man. I’ve also spent time in MD…FAR too political, that’s all anyone talks about. I cherish the area that I call “home”…given my career field, I work with a lot of people that job-jump from state to state and have ZERO desire to do it. They live in hotels and jump from contract to contract, having no friends, belongings or life outside of work. FUCK THAT. Work to live, not live to work, and go HOME at night. Mine is Upstate NY. If you don’t like to here, move, no one is stopping you from trying anywhere else out but yourself.

I prefer upstate NY, actually East Greenbush where I grew up is still my favorite area in the Capital Region, I lived in California for 6 months while at MOS school in the Marines, but I was in 29 Palms which is in the middle of the desert so obviously that wasn’t a great place to be.

I was in Jacksonville, NC for about a year and that was ok but summertime is just too hot and the threat of hurricanes, I just rather not have to re-build a house every other year LOL.

And speaking of weather, that is why I prefer upstate NY, the most we have to worry about is snow storms and an occasional ice storm, no hurricanes, earthquakes or tornadoes, even with the higher taxes I will take that any day over natural disasters.

My $0.02.

On topic…the worst are the Texas assholes that live up here, and all they talk about is how everything from Texas is bigger/better. Motherfucker-go back, we won’t miss ya!

Lol that’s my neighbor to a T

Mid-Atlantic east coast FTW until all the douches leave California, clearly we deserve that climate.

Upstate NY is permanently economically depressed and the state government hates business. Winter lasts 9 months, bugs ruin every nice summer night. The Adirondacks are nothing special, east coast is covered with that. Albany is a dump. Flying to NYC or Boston from here is cheaper than driving to them from Albany.

Edited 12 times, I can do this all day.

There are no bugs around your neck of the woods? :eek3

Im from Westchester/Rockland Counties and loved it waayy better, alot more to do, alot more going on action wise, more car/movie/music/fun events, train station gets you town to town for cheap and the list goes on and on.

Upstate is great for the money and convienience in my own personal opinion… White plains 1br rental = $900-1400, Capital region 1br rental $400-600… Besides this, car mechanics get you in quicker, fix your car quicker and cheaper. Also going to the Dr and what not doesnt take 2 months, rather most of the time you can just walk right in on the spot… Dont count on doing that down there. Houses are INSANELY cheaper up here as well. My house in Westchester or Rockland county would probably be worth six times the amount it is here.

I agree… I like the area. Very central to a lot of places. I’ve been all over new york and I like how where I live its not too rural, but there aren’t people right on top of you.

GA sucks dick. I thought Rochester was bad with the dreary weather year round, but the heat and humidity of Georgia is just unbearable. Even heading out to the local “lot” at midnight on a friday night is tough, opening my front door feels like opening the oven, and yes, in febuary it was cooler, but it still sucked dick. There is nothing here but bible thumpers and terrible service. Southern hospitality my ass.

I agree with everything you said all 12 times
I live in Gloversville-Johnstown my whole life and the only reason I like it at all is the people I’m friends with.
You would think since most of us are car guys we would all hate it up here(I do) because of winter taking foreverrrr.
I also lived in Ticonderoga when I opened up a Dollar Tree(dont know how anyone lives there, I actually started driving back and forth until I got transferred-I think turbo travis does?)
Im going to South Carolina-myrtle beach area as soon as I can get my finances straight and sell my house.

If I didn’t have the great friends and family ties I do here, I’d be in the in the VA/NC area in a heartbeat. The taxes here are ridiculous and so are most of the bullshit laws, especially the gun laws. The house I have now would be a ton cheaper down there depending on the area, so there’s a lot of money to be saved.

If you don’t like your current situation, you can either drink or do something productive in order to change that. If you’re good enough, you can even do both

I have lived here my whole life and have only traveled the Northeast, plus a couple trips to VA. I really like the area we live in and feel like most people take what it has to offer for granted. I really like being able to take worthwhile day trips in any direction, while being in close proximity to good sized cities and towns. The Catskills, Adirondacks, Boston, NYC and VT are all in reasonable driving distance.

Winter doesn’t bother me, especially as all my vehicles have been AWD and tend to be more fun in the winter than the summer anyways. Bugs don’t really bother me either, I pretty much spent all my time as a kid in the woods or by water so I’ve become accustomed to getting bit up.

Maybe if I was more financially motivated I’d have a different outlook on the area, but for the way I live and the activities I enjoy, the 518 has a lot to offer.

I give you props for moving, rather than just PJB’ing (bitching)

Trust me, you’d be pretty unhappy if you didn’t have what I put in bold, and were sitting in your cheap home polishing your guns all alone and stacking your cash.

Hence me stating my reasons for staying here first lol. I moved to NC for a little while for school, then my whole eye situation started, then moved back. It was boring as fuck for the most part.

Lots of family up here but I would love to live in the city for a while after school and eventually settle down in MD.