How much commute can you handle?

As I was looking at houses, I’ve come to realization that the best properties are “out there”. They come with more land, less neighbors, cheaper taxes and less town control.

However they are also a bit further away from everything. For the last 9 years I’ve been spoiled by being in Niskayuna, which is the middle of Cap Region, being only 5 minutes away from the lot, 3 minutes away from my job and only 15 minutes away from school.

A thought of driving 45 minutes to Albany seemed a bit daunting at first, until I realized that being a car guy, I shouldn’t mind spending a little bit more time in a car on a daily base, and there are some nice roads around Cap Region once you get out of the general metro area.

So my question is, what’s the furthest you have to commute on your weekly basis? Is that too much? How far are you willing to commute until it becomes an issue? Anybody here crazy enough to commute to NYC if they had a $200,00 job?

Sometimes I get sick of the 25-30 minute commute I have to make to work from Rotterdam to Clifton Park, especially in the winter.

I dont think Id want to go any further than that. Bad enough it costs me about $9 in gas per day.

I’m in no way trying to turn this into a PJB thread but you really think you have the right vehicle for the job in this scenario?

I (was) spoiled to, 9 minutes from my HS, 7 min from my work, 6 min from the northway/crossgates, etc. I don’t think I’d mind a 30+ minute commute but I guess I wouldn’t know til i tried lol

it doesnt matter how long the commute is really, its the fact that youll have to deal with the same god damn traffic and the same dickheads on the same roads each day that would drive me crazy, i go a different way home like everyday

I can afford driving it to work and back, Im just saying any more and it might be different.

Driving to work and back isnt the only purpose of having my truck so Ive gotta compromise.

id much rather have to drive a little ways to work and live in a place im happy with than be close to work and live somewhere im restricted and have to deal with a less than desirable area.

i know a few people who live in dutchess county but work in the metro NYC area… good pay, with much lower COL compared to living in westchester or south. 1hour + commute each way via train and subway, but they say its worth it.

out west i know people who live over an hour driving from work, but do it to live in a better area.

you just gotta figure out your wants and needs, and if your commute is worth it in the end.

My Gf lives in brunswick. if i leave for work at 6 to make it there by 7, ill JUST make it. (650ish)normally its a 30 min drive with no traffic.

In some ways i like it better. I get to work on my car in the barn make as much noise as i want til what ever time. Ride quads etc whenever whenever. Rotterdam… i hate the close quarters thing. Noise ordanance is at 9 on weekdays and 10 on weekends. BUT i like how if i need something i live next to a walmart/ Advance auto/ price chopper where as the closest anything beisdes stewarts to my gf’s is 10 min. AAP is 15 min away.

So it all depends in different aspects.

It takes me about a half hour to get to Albany for work. I love living out in the “country”. I can’t see myself living in a area where I cant walk out my back door, naked and do the helicopter!

in my line of work it doesnt matter where you live travel time always varies. the jobsite can be as close as 2 miles aways or as far as 120+ miles away. for me i like the convenience of living so close to almost anything i want at anytime. so i’d rather stay closer to the city.

I live about 25-30 minutes from work too. I live in the glenmont/delmar area which is very quiet and "country"ish but also close to Albany.

I work in Niskayuna and the only thing that i don’t like is having to get up at 545 to be ready and at work by 7. I like the ride. There are a million different ways I can go and each is different because of the traffic patterns.

When we lived out near Herkimer for a year it took me 45 minutes of straight highway driving to get to work and that SUCKED. I would constantly find myself going 80+ on the highways just because I was bored and knew the road so well. The other down side was that the closest mall was 50 minutes away and it was nothing compared to what we have around here.

I don’t think I would ever travel 3-4 hours just to get to work even if it paid 200k a year. That’s more than I’m willing to go.

I’m actually thinking about transferring to a house closer to my house so my travel time will be less.

if you make 200k i hope u would move down to the suburbs of nyc. thats idealy what i would like to do, work in the city, live somewhere around it, perferably not ny.

A few years ago I used to drive 2hrs each way for a shitty $13hr job. Woke up at 1:30am…leave at 2am…get there at 4am. Now I’m about 15 minutes my from current job.

Up in the Adirondacks and around my house and some of the SICKEST back roads that I guarantee you would enjoy…BUT I normally do not care how far I have to drive as long as it is profitable and besides I like to stay busy.

Some of the guys at my work live in Cobillskill and drive like an hour to get to work everyday. I’ve never heard them complain about, just alot of stories about speeding on the thruway.

^^ I also have a co-worker who lives in Cobleskill. He’s been driving to work at this company for like 7 years now.

I live in Selkirk, NY.

The only thing close to me is my job, which is in Glenmont, NY.

I’m perfectly fine with commuting, I’ve been doing it since I was 16 since we live out here in Selkirk in the middle of nowhere. I travel a LOT (hence the 66,000 miles I’ve put on my car in 3 years).

As far as NYC, I’d consider it if I could find a place outside the city and take the train in.

this.

I wouldn’t care if there was no one else on the road, but dealing with rush hour traffic puts a serious buzzkill on whatever you’re driving/riding.

I have a 45 minute there and 45 back commute to a job site in Lake George once a week but I get paid by the hour so it doesnt bother me at all, When I lived in florida I had a 35 minute ride to work, longer depending a traffic. It was a hassle sometimes at night when im tired or had a bad day and its a long haul home

atleast 30 mins to school/work with no traffic when i student teach i have to drive atleast 1 hr to get to the school and when i have school and student teaching its about 1hr 30 mins with no traffic wayy to much drivingg

When I finish my degree I plan on moving “out there.” I drive 30 minutes to school and work everyday as it is now, and I live on the border of Colonie and Nisky.

Go for it.

I think distance is more important, cause that is more related to what it will cost you for the commute. One of our PM used to commute 70 miles daily to work. I don’t want to be him.

If you are buying a property not thinking of selling it ever, then you can live where ever you want cause you never have to worry about reselling it. If you just want to get something to get your foot in the door, then it may be better to get something that is easier to resell.