5th gear: GTI rapes WRX

well there are plenty of guys that do swaps but none around here, im pretty sure if it was that cheap we would see a ton of gc’s with sti swaps since it is the only body style anyone really agrees rules. It is not as cheap as you think to get a good running swap.

It’s not that pricey, but it is a decent amount of work, and finding a good donor car and drivetrain isn’t as easy as a Honda.

Agreed but it is still silly dropping to a wrx from an sti and hoping youll one day do a swap to make it an sti banking on the hopes that it may only cost you 10,000.

And besides even if someone was insane enough to do it. You might as well save the money by getting a 2.5i as everything would have to go.

There was only one reason to do a swap - for us in the wagon crew. But that point is now moot.

You would go through all that hassle (not to mention doing all of this to a brand new car) to save what?? A couple grand?

Never said I would want to do it.
My reason for going with a wrx over the sti is the 12 grand price difference as well as it’s nearly half the price for insurance.

But, what he was saying is it’s nearly impossible to make a wrx = sti.

A few grand into a wrx vs. a sti on a track, I bet the wrx would win with equal drivers.

till the gearbox broke… (yes i know the newer ones are stronger)

The transmission would break only after a few dozen redline clutch drops.
I’m talking on a road course.

I agree with everyone that a sti>wrx. But for us who can’t afford an sti…the wrx is the next best answer, and, unfortunately we don’t have DCCD or full LSD front and rear but for 12 grand cheaper… can’t complain

its funny that the STi has the DCCD and that when I asked Zong what he sets his at, his answer was, “I just leave it on automatic”. I am sure that most owners don’t even touch the DCCD.

That’s because it is better for most drivers in auto mode. A poll on nasioc showed that most racers (road and autox) left it in auto.

isn’t that more or less the same as what the wrx is though? or do I need to do some research?

everyone knows that vw kicks more ass than wrx any day
gti v sti is another story…

I leave it in automatic for autocross. I put it to the 3rd little orange square from the bottom for road coursing.

the center diff in the wrx doesn’t even compare to the one in the STi (not sure about the newer models of wrx but I’m assuming theres still alot left to be desired).

I was just typing that, and I’ll add that the WRX doesn’t have a front lsd.

or a rear in the 08’s :frowning: VCD took it’s place

Worst thread in 2008 so far.

does the wrx even have a rear LSD? I thought it was only center.

I was in chicago last week and a friend let me borrow his new 6spd GTI for a few days… I loved it… the seats must be the most comfortable ones I’ve ever sat in - they just fit me perfectly… I’d love to have this for a daily car.

so you are the reason that Bloom called me to find a good pizza place